Author Topic: What strings for a 717 GP?  (Read 426 times)

shekie

What strings for a 717 GP?
« on: August 21, 2023, 10:15:05 AM »
I just purchased a 2019 mint 717 GP  and the shop I purchased from had installed new strings on it prior to putting out on their sales floor. The salesperson I dealt with was unsure which strings had been installed, although he was pretty certain they were light gauge. They sound fine, but I'm curious if there is any consensus/preference for strings on 717's, lights, mediums, brand preference etc.?

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: What strings for a 717 GP?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 12:04:26 PM »
Taylor puts medium-gauge strings on them at the factory.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 12:12:39 PM »
Congrats on a really nice guit!

Strings are not only a personal preference, it is the single most significant change you can make to an acoustic to nudge its tone this way and that.  So may I encourage you to experiment! :)

That said, Taylor was loading these with elixir nanoweb mediums when yours came out.  But Taylor has since gone to D'Addarios.  Big difference between coated and non-coated strings, and also tonal differences between different brands of coated strings like Elixir and D'addarios.  So it really is your call to try em.  But since you asked, I have long preferred the elixir phos bronze in nanowebs.  For a GP body, I'd personally go with mediums for the punch and volume.  Have at it :)

Edward

shekie

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 02:12:42 PM »
Question regarding the Elixir strings, I see in addition to offering lights and mediums, they also offer light-mediums and HD lights. The light-mediums come with traditional light gauge on the G,B, e strings and medium gauge on the E,A,D strings, where the HD lights come with medium gauge e and B strings, an in between gauge for the G string, and then traditional light gauge for the E,A and D strings.

Any thoughts if I didn't want to go full medium gauge (old hands that appreciate less string tension) as to whether the light-mediums or the HD lights would make more sense for the 717 GP?