Author Topic: Thoughts on a 615 vs 618?  (Read 466 times)

ScottSD

Thoughts on a 615 vs 618?
« on: August 20, 2023, 01:09:14 PM »
I've got the itch for something maple and am currently vacillating between a 615 and a 618.  It's not looking like I will find a 615 close enough to try in person...  Anybody out there have experience with both willing to share their impressions?

Please and Thank You!

Scott

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Thoughts on a 615 vs 618?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
Hey Scott,

Fwiw, I used to own a maple Jumbo Taylor.  Liked it a bunch.  But if pressed, I'd choose a GS over the jumbo body. 

As for the GO, it's a nice guit, but I don't want to deal with that big a body.  A dred and GS are as big as I want to go, but that's clearly a personal thing.  The GO in maple sounded nice to my memory, but not enough to tip that scale for me.  The GS and DN (both in maple) I own, however, are my lifer guits so yeah, I really dig those! :D

Edward

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 03:35:31 PM »
I previously owned a 615 maple/spruce jumbo and have played x18's several times, usually rosewood/spruce.  (It still lives locally but I don't see the buyer very often anymore.  He is still happy and switches between 615 and his new 814BE).  For a maple bodied guitar, I think that the extras displacement and soundboard area makes for a better balance among the lows, mids, and highs.  That would apply to either the Jumbo or the Grand Orchestra body.  The only GS's I've owned were a koa/sprice GS-K and a 416-LTD baritone based on the 416 body.  I like the GS size a lot, and if most of my Taylors weren't acquired before 2006 when the GS body came along, I would have owned more GS than GA examples.

Due to right shoulder injuries, I generally shy away from really large guitars these days.  I also play sitting with a strap 100% of the time now in a semi-classical position, so the body size doesn't actually matter as much physically.  I still play my jumbo Alvarez baritone, and my Seagull S6 is the last remaining dreadnought here.  Otherwise the biggest guitar that regularly gets played is a GA size.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

ScottSD

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 03:48:14 PM »
I do like the size of my GS; that and my '73 American Dream DN are far and away my most played guitars.  Like Earl, the GS has kind of put me off of the GA size, when I want a smaller guitar for travel or the couch I greatly prefer my GCs. 

Edward, do you hear significantly more depth from your maple DN over the GS?  I can't directly compare my two because the back and sides aren't the same species.

I had been eyeballing the 610s, especially the Lemon Grove era.  Then I played a '98 SJ-200 at my LGS, which started on the jumbo tangent.  That SJ-200 sounds hauntingly good and I think I could make peace with the nut width but it was a bit too beat up for my esthetics... I know looks and sound don't really intersect but if I'm dropping "Gibson" kind of coin for a guitar I don't want to sigh every time I look at it...  At 6'1" with a big wing span I think I can live with a jumbo but I'd certainly be happy with a dread.

As always, I appreciate your guidance

Scott

ScottSD

Ended up with a 610
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 11:01:04 PM »
So after looking that Gibson SJ a Taylor 618E showed up on consignment in my favorite LGS.  I was able to spend some time on it and decided I really liked it, something about the basey articulation of that big maple body.  I'm also a sucker for that brown sugar stain.  Might have brought that one home but I thought the owner wanted a few hundred dollars more than it was worth so I passed. 

As if by magic an '85 610 showed up in my local Craigs List.  Went and played it.  The price was right but had been poorly refinished and needed neck reset to be playable.  Scratch that one. 

Checked out Ebay and found a one owner '87 Taylor 610 that was in amazing shape, all original and not too far from mint.  After a some questions and additional photos I ordered it.  I've had it for several days; after a new set of strings and a truss rod adjustment, I have to say I'm super thrilled with this guitar!  It's one of the last 100 guitars that were built in Lemon Grove which also makes happy!  My maple itch seems to have been scratched but I'm not gonna lie, there could be a 618E in my future.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Scott
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:06:26 PM by ScottSD »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 04:39:09 PM »
...do you hear significantly more depth from your maple DN over the GS?  I can't directly compare my two because the back and sides aren't the same species....

Hey Scott,

No way I can answer this as my old GS8 was a sitka/rw and my current DN (my go-to live guit) is sitka/maple: so very different!  My GS 12-string, however, is killer: deeeep, solid bass tone and became my preference over my 655 (both sitka/maple), prompting me to sell the latter.

It's a generalization, but I'm going to say it anyway: Taylor DNs in my limited experience tend to have more mids, and the trebles sound a bit thicker; the GSs tended to sound a deeper (like the lower bass freq tend to be more pronounced), and more high-end sparkle, thus a bit "scooped" by comparison.  So much in wood differences and builds affect everything I just said, so take this thought with healthy skepticism.

The one thing one can absolutely expect between the two, however, is the GS shape is easier/more comfortable to play when seated.  The narrower waist puts the guit lower in your lap compared to a DNs wide waist which makes the guit sit higher in your lap, which is why folks with shoulder issues tend to ditch their dreds.  I play standing most of the time, so body shape makes little difference to me.  That said, the Grand Orchestra's big and deeper body really feels big to me even standing ...as a side note, fwiw, as you did mention a 618 in your op.

Edward