Author Topic: i could pee my pants...  (Read 1023 times)

topcat0399

i could pee my pants...
« on: July 31, 2023, 07:40:47 PM »
https://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=10878.msg135084#msg135084

see link above if you are interested in my sob story.

its just that a couple of weeks ago i was just sick and tired of woodsheding more endless drills
3 years of it. so i put the taylor down for a week asking my self is it really worth all this effort??

so a few days ago i picks up miss taylor and we have a little jam and SUDDENLY - everything comes EASY.
EVERYTHING. i can strum a chord stick my finger anywhere on the neck blind folded
and if the note is wrong i instantly know a next right one for example. I can grab any maj/min triad anywhere at anytime.
mix and match all i want!!! good god.

i can play any 135 arp or inversion and its pent anywhere at high speed and accuracy at any time.
i am astounded and ear to ear grin.

the guitar fights me a little and since accuracy is much more important to me now it seems like my fingers get hung up on the fret crowns.
and the buzzing and action need work.

why do luthiers insist on living so far away???? really need a good one.

sorry for the gushing just had to tell someone - anyone....

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: i could pee my pants...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 12:11:58 PM »
Yeah, I totally get it, 100%.  I’ve been there myself, trying this and that, sometimes feeling good about it at times, only to realize that it was merely shadows of real progress.  I got sick of it and decided to get real about my playing and get legit!  My solution was to play with others, and to play live. There ain’t nothing more transparent than playing with others, nothing that keeps you more honest than a good drummer, and nothing like an audience that keeps your music and playing real.  At least for me.

The other thing I also came to realize is that we simply have good and bad days as players. I used to get frustrated when I couldn’t “get it,” but have long since learned that “it will come” with time, objective self critique, and yet another day to try.  Then it happens: it sounds and feel right!  Patience meets persistence!

I appreciate you sharing, particularly your original post.  The cliche is actually real: music is a journey and we know not where it takes us, let alone know its distinct paths.  But stick at it and we will come to enjoy the fruits,  and the journey brings us joy.  Thanks for unloading that …as well as the celebration!! :)

Edward
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:18:11 PM by Edward »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 12:24:33 PM »
Oh, and as for the setup of your guitar, don’t put too much stock in the “luthier” thing.  A genuinely good guitar tech will not only know the proper way to address the Taylor NT system, but will listen to you, and adjust to the player’s style.  Not to mention communicates clearly, offer a fair price, and guarantee a decent turnaround.  No shortage of “experts” with credentials that are  jerks …btdt.  Get recommendations and reviews, and listen to you gut when shopping for a tech.

Edward
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:26:41 PM by Edward »

topcat0399

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 08:30:41 AM »
thank you edward for your kind remarks.
i'm still in shock that it could happen this way
and i can barely put miss taylor down now.
it's sooo exciting.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 01:36:12 PM »
The exciting part is great, to be sure!  That excitement is what propels us, motivating us to plow through the rough patches because we know we'll get there, if not soon, eventually!  If it were easy then everyone would be doing it, right?  The reward makes it all worth the while! :)

Edward

dbvirago

• My Words
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 07:45:34 PM »
I started playing a little over 3 years ago. We travel often and I remember my first week without the guitar. I thought I would set me back, but it didn't and I came back refreshed and ready to play. Each trip since then, my playing on return keeps getting better. Probably telling me I practice too much and should schedule in more breaks.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce