Author Topic: How well does a GS Mini fit in the overhead compartment?  (Read 1011 times)

dswo

How well does a GS Mini fit in the overhead compartment?
« on: July 29, 2023, 08:39:18 AM »
I have a 314ce, which has really grown on me over the two years that I've had it. I'm interested in a GS Mini, chiefly for taking it places that I wouldn't bring my 314: the office, on planes, etc.

My dad has one, which he now plays more than his old Martin. I'm not concerned about the sound. But I don't think it leaves his study much.

I'm looking for candid opinions here: how well does the GS Mini, in its factory case, work as carry-on luggage?

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: How well does a GS Mini fit in the overhead compartment?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 10:43:58 AM »
I took my 2010 Mini on over 1 million air miles, but largely in the cockpit with me. I did however also have to ride in back and the mini fits well on narrow body(737, A320) aircraft and widebody’s but not on regional jets. The current FAA rules are that if there is room in the overhead when you board they have to let you bring it, so paying for priority boarding will help. More than that, a friendly smile and polite request works best with most crews and gate agents though.
On the other hand, we sometimes worry too much. In spite of all the horror stories out there, and I have seen some, touring musicians such as Tommy Emmanuel and Molly Tuttle routinely check their instruments and have never had trouble. If I have my Carbon fiber with me I have been known to accept a customers guitar in the cockpit(after a security check) and put mine elsewhere.
Sorry for the rant, but even though we get anxious about our instruments 1000’s are checked each day with mostly good results. We all hope not to be the exception( I was an exception with UPS….so I get it).
Get the Mini, looks good, sounds good, travels well. I only stopped bringing it to have the wider 1.75” string spacing which I prefer. I now take my 322e or a Carbon Fiber on my trips.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 09:19:44 AM »
I bought my first Mini in 2011? and have had it overhead a handful of times with no problems.  Being polite certainly helps.  Of course, most of those times I flew Southwest and they seem to have a good reputation for transporting instruments.  At least they do with the Mini size. 

If in doubt, check the airline website and see what they say.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

SDTaylorman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 10:07:19 AM »
It fits great into MOST overheads. There are some smaller planes where it won't fit so I always recommend looking at what plane(s) they'll be flying you on and making the decision from there. That said, again, MOST of the time you'll be 100% OK provided you board early enough (per Federal Law).