Author Topic: Best Realistic Set-Up for GS-Mini  (Read 905 times)

dscottyg

Best Realistic Set-Up for GS-Mini
« on: July 28, 2023, 03:40:31 PM »
I just got a GS-Mini from Sweetwater. My cousin has a handful of Taylor guitars and said they always come already set up well straight out of the box. The one I got seems to have high action. With the relief set at .005, the action is 7/64 on the low E string and 5/64 on the high E string at the 12th fret. I am used to electrics, and I’ve never changed the action on either of my two other acoustic guitars. Should I start sanding the bottom of the saddle?

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Best Realistic Set-Up for GS-Mini
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 06:13:56 PM »
Factory standard action is 6/64" at the bass E and 4/64" at the treble e.  You are higher than that, so some remedial "action" is called for -- pun intended.  First wait two weeks for your guitar to acclimate to your environment.  It is possible that the top is swollen a bit from humidity during transit or in its new home.  A swollen top means higher action.  GS Mini comes with medium gauge strings to help keep the proper playing feel with such a short scale.  You might want to move to light gauge.  Many people do.  But there is limited value in doing a set up and then changing to a different gauge of string.

Sanding the saddle is the only option for a glued dovetail neck joint, but Taylor's NT neck is better than that.  As the original owner, the warranty will cover a set up at a local Taylor-certified tech, back to factory specs.  The proper method involves removing the neck and changing shims to get the optimum neck angle.  This is an easy 15-minute job for the shop.  Then -- and only then -- if you still want the action to be lower it is possible to carefully sand a bit off the bottom of the saddle to get another 64th or so.  I always start with a whole new saddle and work on it, preserving the original as a fall back position (voice of experience here).  Candidly, if your tech's first reaction is to sand the saddle  :o  then find someone else.  Danger Will Robinson!!
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

dscottyg

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 09:59:47 PM »
Thanks.

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 11:14:43 AM »
Prefer low action?  I do!!!

When a guitar comes in to Taylor Repair at the El Cajon mothership it is first brought to proper humidity (45%)

Then the relief is adjusted, then, finally,  the neck shims are swapped for the action adjustment.

I always ask for 5/64” and 4/64” and Taylor Techs have obliged.

When adjusted properly at 45% RH no saddle sanding is necessary or wanted.

Taylor is big on correct neck geometry for maximum tone and volume. This may require Bovida humidity packs in the bag, depending on your in home RH.

The beauty of the NT neck is easy to see if you are watching a tech do a neck set. I have seen Tim Luranc adjust my RT including new strings in about 10 minutes!!!

Get it done right and enjoy it!

Paul

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 11:16:26 AM by Guitars44me »