Author Topic: Bridge lifting issue  (Read 1118 times)

Paul60

Bridge lifting issue
« on: July 16, 2023, 02:50:36 PM »
Hi,

I have a Taylor 114 and the lower, left wing of the bridge has come unglued and lifted slightly.

It's not so bad as to be noticeable. Maybe 1-2mm ?

I've read this is common.

Can this be easily fixed ?

I was thinking with strings off, no tension, I can get some PVA under there and clamp it somehow ?

I would need a clamp with one hell of a throat though !

Any thoughts ?

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Bridge lifting issue
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 09:56:17 AM »
Paul, this may not actually be a problem.  Taylor does not put glue all the way out to the corners of the bridge -- less squeeze out and clean up during assembly.  Slide a piece of paper in from the corner and see how far inward you can go.  Most of the time the paper can slide in maybe 1/8" or so.  If it goes in 1/2" then you might have an issue.  If you can do the same test with a stack of several business cards, then you likely have a problem worthy of a repair. 

I'm a handy guy but would not try to reglue this myself if it comes to that.  It is best to remove the bridge entirely, scrape away all old glue from both surfaces, and then reglue cleanly.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 11:46:25 AM »
To add to Earl's great post, I can't stop myself from pointing out a few things.

The 160-170 pounds of string tension are secured predominately by the bridge plate glued to the inside of the guitar. Then there's the effect of the strings pressing down on the bridge saddle. There is some angular force to the saddle, pulling it toward the neck, but it's likely considerably less than the total 160-170 pounds of string tension.

If you think of the square inch or square centimeter value of the bridge dimensions, a corner gap might represent less than 1 or 2% of the surface area thats glued down to the top. I'd get nervous if that number approached 30%, but a few millimeters on the corner isn't a big deal.

With humidity changes the usually flat contour of the top will change, and when the top bows the stiffer dead straight saddle glued to it will lift from the top at the corners.

tl/dr - like Earl said, you're fine, don't worry about it you're fine, you got a long way to go for it to be a concern.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 09:23:04 PM »
JP, I agree.  There is shear force on the glue from string pull (something that glue is very good at resisting) and some torque on the top.  The force of the string has a lever arm equal to the height of the saddle above the top.  That can result in some lifting force on the tail end of the bridge -- if the glue joint is suspect or weak.  Your area examples are probably reasonable.

In addition to glue squeeze-out during assembly, Taylor deliberately does not glue down the corners because as the top gets humid and bows slightly, that would lift those sharp corners anyway.  Why fight an uphill battle against a natural stress riser?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 09:24:44 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Paul60

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 10:32:37 AM »
Thanks Earl & jpmist,

It doesn't appear to be worsening.

I think I'll just live with it although it bugs me as I know it's there.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts

Paul : )

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 08:09:18 PM »
If you bought it new, take it to a Taylor repair tech and have them see if it is a warranty issue.

That is what I would do, anyway….

Best on it

Paul

Paul60

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 05:58:52 AM »
If you bought it new, take it to a Taylor repair tech and have them see if it is a warranty issue.

That is what I would do, anyway….

Best on it

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I did buy it new but that was 10.5 years ago. The store is no longer there.

I'm not sure if Taylor would still cover it ?

Cheers

Paul

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 10:59:39 AM »
They should.  It helps if you registered the guitar to get Wood & Steel magazine, then they know you are the original owner.  But Taylor is really good about customer support.  Fingers crossed that when a Taylor tech looks at it, they agree that it is normal and fine.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 02:25:33 PM »
Hey there Paul,

What Earl had outlined about the bridge not being glued to the edges is right on.  I know you said you can ive with it, but maybe you can take a pic of what you see and post it.  I have read of folks reporting their Taylor bridge lifting in the past, but have never seen one, ever.  And so you know, a Taylor is warranted for life to the original owner, so if it is in fact lifting, any authorized Taylor tech can address it under warranty.  A pic may give us clarity here :)

Edward
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 02:27:40 PM by Edward »