Author Topic: Feedback through amp  (Read 835 times)

tylerlayne

Feedback through amp
« on: June 19, 2023, 08:48:41 PM »
I recently bought a Taylor 414ce. I have a Marshall DSL40 amp. When I plug in the 414 to the amp I get this horrible screetching noise. I have numerous straight electric guitars and have no feedback at all playing them. Anyone know what could be causing this? Am I to close to the amp maybe? Like I said, I play electric guitars sitting the same distance away from the amp with no feedback. 

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Feedback through amp
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 10:53:18 PM »
Hey there,

Feedback is a direct result of amp's (or PA) volume and the guitar's proximity (and location) with regard to the amp (or floor monitor, or PA speaker).  With regard to feedback through a system, an electric is fundamentally different --a world apart-- from an acoustic with the former requiring much "more" to induce feedback; the latter needing very "little" to result in feedback.

1. Put your amp across the room from where you are playing, and start with a low volume. 
2. Raise volume to where you want and see what you get.
3.  Volume and proximity is the big deal.  After these points are addressed, you can focus on isolating the offending frequency that is feeding back.  You said "screeching" which sounds to me like you are describing high-pitched feedback; this, as opposed to low-end feedback which is very common for acoustics.  But identifying the frequency is tertiary: always address the aforementioned main factors first.

Chime back in and let us know what happens ...you know, some feedback ;)

Edward
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:58:58 PM by Edward »

tylerlayne

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 12:19:52 AM »
Thanks, I believe distance was the answer. I moved back about 15 feet and no feedback at all. I was thinking if I could play my electric guitars close to the amp I could play the acoustic electric from the same distance. Guess that was proven wrong. lol And yes it was a very high pitched squeal. Thanks Edward, you solved my problem.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 11:42:13 AM »
Outstanding!  Glad you got it sorted out!  Rock on! :D

Edward