Author Topic: Thoughts about a 1996 Taylor 815c  (Read 861 times)

plivemusic

Thoughts about a 1996 Taylor 815c
« on: June 07, 2023, 08:59:40 PM »
Hi,

Would appreciate your thoughts/comments about a 1996 Taylor 815c.

How does it compare to a Taylor 810 of the same era?

Thanks!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Re: Thoughts about a 1996 Taylor 815c
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 01:42:41 AM »
Since it probably follows the general Taylor specs for series 8xy, it should be made of spruce top over rosewood B&S. Don't know if there were any limited editions for this model.

I favor Jumbo guitars. I searched for, and played, quite a few 815 guitars for a number of years, and somehow none of the sounded 'right' to me. Passed on all of them. Fast forward a few years and Taylor introduced their upgraded 800 series starting about 2013, I believe. This included a discontinuing making Jumbo guitars from Taylor. They introduced the new Grand Orchestra model to replace their Jumbo models in the line. I played a new 818 spruce/rosewood Grand Orchestra and it followed me home. It was perfect; just what I wanted in a Jumbo. I had read up on the new Grand Orchestra model in Wood and Steel, and knew I had to try one. The main reason they mentioned was to improve on the Jumbo model in terms of tone and sound volume (loudness). It's wide and deep, with a slightly wider waist than a Jumbo.

I also now have a spruce/rosewood 12 string Grand Orchestra. A monster.

I noted you mentioned 815's in another thread. You may want to try a rosewood Grand Orchestra as a possible alternative to an 815. I did.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 08:06:28 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Thoughts about a 1996 Taylor 815c
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 11:03:31 AM »
I like the Taylor jumbos, and I used to own a lovely 655.  I also love what Taylor does with their dreads, and now own two DNs, one of which is my main player. 

I've come to the consclusion that Taylor makes dreds for folks who don't like "traditional" dreds (the signature Marty voice that is ubiquitous), and thus appeal to a different niche.  This explains --at least to me-- why so many don't care for the Taylor DNs and gravitate toward the innumerable options that cop that "other" tone.  But for those who like the Taylor, it is about that tonal balance that is not mid-scooped or bass-heavy.  This is why I had never owned a dred in the past, and now own two from Taylor. 

As for comparing to their jumbo, I think lots has to do with the woods, but if I were to generalize (always a bit dangerous to do so), I'd say the DNs tend to have more mids and thicker-sounding trebles than the jumbo.  But that's given my very small experience with having owned one jumbo, and hands on only a few over these many years.  Contrast that to the plethora of dreds Taylor produces throughout their line and perhaps we have a glimpse into why they moved in that direction, or toward the GP, anyway.

Edward