Author Topic: Tell me about your favorite maple guitar!  (Read 1155 times)

ScottSD

Tell me about your favorite maple guitar!
« on: June 06, 2023, 11:49:11 AM »
I've never really thought much about maple guitars however, within the last few days I've heard a really nice recording of a Gibson Dove and read some intriguing comments about maple guitars. 

Please, tell me about any standout maple guitars you have played!

Scott

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Tell me about your favorite maple guitar!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:08:58 PM »
I had a maple/spruce 615 for several years, and really liked it.  It had a bold yet clear voice, and was one of the last jumbo sized guitars that Taylor made.  My play is about 75% bare nails fingerpicking and 25% moderate strumming.  After 2010 they discontinued the x15 series in favor of the Grand Orchestra x18 series.  Mine was all black and built in 2010 but bought as NOS at a Road Show event in 2014.  I brought along my benchmark GS-K to compare that day and the 615 acquitted itself quite well.  615 sold a couple of summers ago to a guy locally who is now a jam buddy, and he loves it as an alternative to his new V-braced 814 BE.  I was not unhappy with it -- the only reason it sold was a general downsizing purge of several guitars.  There are still a couple left to go (no Taylors though) but also no hurry on those.

I have also extensively played a 90's era 612 that was very nice (babysitting while the owner traveled).  Oddly enough the GC body is one that I've never owned, leaning more toward the bigger GA or the GS body.  Gibson's never spoke to me in any way.  While I have owned most of the major and minor brands, but never a Gibson.  No prejudice, they just did not "click" for me, except for a few really old LG's from the 1930's.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 11:49:43 AM »
Hey Scott,

Well I did avoid maple for the longest time for the most basic of reasons: what folks tended to say about them (and I refer to the pre-net days where it was magazines and sales-floor banter), and there were very few to even try, Gibs being the only real option on store walls, and even then a rarity.  And now that everyone has got a net-pinion to share, I think those ol' urban myths get amplified.

So back in mid 2000s or so I stumbled upon a Taylor dred, a "custom" DN, which was a special order that was now on the floor as a new guitar.  It looked niiiiice!  Then picked it up and realized there was something to this guitar.  Not perfect for me at first blush, but it was priced stupid low, was gorgeous, and sounded decent enough, so I bought it and figured if I hated it, it'd be an easy flip.  I took it home and did a string change and a couple of truss rod tweaks and I was flooredThis is a maple guitar?!!  Ok, so I'll stop with the jabbering and simply say it sounded big, full, and defined.  Solid bass with a low end that was tight and focused .  Mids were forward. more forward than my cedar/rw GA at the time, and the guitar's voice overall was more "present" as if the fundamental tones all took a step toward the audience.  It was not "bright" by any means, but superbly balanced: the lows were deep, the highs were crisp, and the mids reminded you "hey, I'm playing here," in a very pleasing way, mind you.  Overtones took a backseat to the fundamentals, and single-notes and the plain B and E all sounded a bit thicker and more discernible. 

Ok, so then a bit later and I stumbled onto an R.Taylor in Style 2, that's a GC body.  No joke, just stumbled upon it, and it was this gorgeous quilted maple.  Yeah, I know I know, it's pretty, but I can't hear an aesthetic beauty, so I was skeptical and critical.  So I played it and, yup, was floored.  No small-bodied guit should sound this deep and this full.  Similar timbral traits: defined mids, more forward voice, and tonally balanced from bass-mids-highs; and not "bright" as maple is all too often derided for being.  The Englemann spruce top is a big vocal determinant, I am certain, but is a beautiful sonic pairing with maple.

This is going to sound contrived and ridiculous, but I also ended up with a GS-bodied 12er in, you guessed it, maple. Yada yada ...great guit, I'll leave it at that.  But no other 12er I've ever played (including Taylor's own Jumbo body) sounded like this one.

Fwiw, I'm a strummer, hybrid picker, and seldom a fingerpicker. I don't care for the "Martin dred" tone, I can "get along ok" with the Martin OM tone, so that's my frame of reference.  So long ago when I found the Taylor GA in cedar/rw, I found a guitar voice that was "mine."  Perhaps it's as if the aforementioned guits took that general voicing and spoke more to me: the "present" and forward fundamentals as opposed to a wash of overtones and lush chords.  That DN is still my go-to live guit and nothing thus far throughout these many years has tempted me away from it.  Perhaps think of maple as producing more defined tones, as if the individual notes were "outlined" more than a wave of notes coming at you.  Or I'm imagining things ...there's always that!  :D :D :D

Edward

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 11:55:06 AM by Edward »

LA Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 08:25:59 PM »
Has to be my 90's 610.  I love how it plays, looks and sounds. I stum mostly and very aggressively a lot of the time.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 02:05:39 AM »
Tell me about your favorite maple guitar!

I have only ever owned one solid body maple guitar, and that one I've had for about a year and a half now. It easily passed the looks, sound, and feel tests. Liked it  a lot when I played it, and it followed me home. An Epiphone Inspired By Gibson sunburst J-200 Jumbo six string. I really have nothing to compare it to, but it got my attention, and sounds better every time I play it.

I find I like spruce/rosewood the best, but I do like the sonic variations that different woods bring to the table.
For the record, my favorite Taylor is an 818e spruce over rosewood Grand Orchestra, strung with Elixir PB HD Light gauge strings {.013 - .053}. The HD gauge is essentially Medium trebles with Light gauge bass strings.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 08:08:58 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Mandotim

• Old fogey based in Staffordshire, UK.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 11:17:18 AM »
Interesting thread. I used to have a Gibson J200 in maple. I sold it, as it really wasn’t very good, despite the cost and reputation. Part of the proceeds went on a Guild JF30-12 twelve string jumbo, with an arched maple back and maple sides. Not as fancy as some Guild twelves, but easy to play and an absolute cannon. Bright and jangly, but with real low end thump when required.
Best maple guitar I’ve owned? That would be a six/twelve acoustic doubleneck made by Rob Armstrong in Coventry, England in 1973. Full of little details, ‘because he could’, and a sound like the hammers of hell.
2002 810
2014 818e First Edition
2017 814ce DLX
GS Mini Bass
Martin 000-28EC
Martin D28
Martin HD28VS 12 fret
Rob Armstrong Luthier built 000 size
Rob Armstrong doubleneck Guitar/Octave Mandolin
Rob Gibbs luthier built 000 12 fret
Rainsong WS1000
Gibson J15
Guild JF30-12
And some other stuff.
More mandolins and banjos than strictly necessary….

ScottSD

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 03:52:39 PM »
Thanks All,

I really enjoy reading about other people's guitar journeys.  There's just something about finding and bonding with a really good guitar.

I must admit I'm developing an affinity for Lemon Grove built Taylors.  To me, they're perfect blend history, craftsmanship and art in a working musical instrument.  I was lucky enough to find my first LG built dread locally but they don't seem to come up that often.  I'm currently mulling over an '83 610.  It's not local but I think I could go a long time waiting to find one of those in my neck of the woods...

Decisions

Scott

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 10:14:46 PM »
My only experience with Maple has been great … my 2015 Taylor 618 first edition . This is when they were doing the brown sugar stain which is gorgeous . I think the larger size helps mellow out the tone . I have absolutely loved it since day one. I have received so many compliments on the guitars sound… I can’t even recall how many… even though just a guitar hack is playing it.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Hippy

• "To Live Outside the Law You Must Be Honest"
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 09:39:45 PM »
My 1983 Taylor 610. Mahogany neck.
It's been my main guitar for 40 years. Lots of scratches and wear. Been to the factory several times for repairs and upgrades.
The neck is the BEST I've ever played. (And I own several Taylors)
I've always used medium strings on it, and I can play it HARD and it does very well, thank you. LOUD.
Yet I can also play it finger style and it has a very sweet sound.
I was lucky to find it.
1983 610 (old & worn)
1996 912 (slick & fancy)
2013 150e (easy 12)
1993 baby (backpacker)
2020 custom GC

Maple422

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 11:57:30 AM »
This one!  2014 614e prototype
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=5273.0

Sounding great 9 years later. I hadn't had it out in a while and recently have been doing some songwriting/open mic with this guitar. I'm hearing it a little warmer than I remember and have gotten many comments on how great it sounds and looks.

As far as current maple Taylor's, the 618e is an unbelievable guitar, a real canon. I have demoed a few, the result was many days of GAS. I was able to use my 614 as an antidote.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 01:08:09 PM by Maple422 »
– Maple422 –

Taylor 422 Maple
Taylor 614e Prototype
Taylor 752 LTD 12-String/12-Fret
Taylor 724ce Koa
T5-S
T5z Road Show LTD Grapevine
GS Mini FLTD Koa
GS Mini Rosewood Plus
Baby-M
Taylor SolidBody Standard