Author Topic: Which Taylor would you choose ?  (Read 1206 times)

plivemusic

Which Taylor would you choose ?
« on: May 26, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Question for Taylor fans ...

I played a 1989 Taylor 810 Dread for years, and traded it away maybe 5 years ago. Love the smaller body guitars I now play, but recently miss that unique, early Taylor Dread tone, feel, the neck, etc.

Shopping around and considering several presently.

Which of the following would you choose and why:

1987 810 Dread
1994 810 Dread
1998 810 LTD Dread

Thanks!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Which Taylor would you choose ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 03:13:06 PM »
You probably won't go wrong with any of them.  I did not own my first Taylor until the NT neck came along, although I had been aware of them years earlier.  The exception was my 1996 (first year) Baby Taylor which was bought for travel purposes.  Given that caveat, my choice would be the LTD version regardless of year.  As a rule the LTD's always had upgraded trim or inlays, or atypical wood choices, and other features that represented a better value than a stock guitar.  That is partially why my list of owned Taylors includes several LTD's.  In terms of "...early Taylor dread tone..." then the 1987 would cover that.  But so would anything you listed that was pre-NT.

In very broad terms, Taylor tends to have a bright tone.  A rosewood 810 might sound somewhat more like a Martin D18.  My 410 sure did -- it sounded more like a D18 to me, but with better playability and neck feel.  Plus I liked ovangkol as a body wood.  I often described it rose-hogany, with elements of both tone woods.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 06:05:58 PM »
Question for Taylor fans ...
Which of the following would you choose and why:
1987 810 Dread
1994 810 Dread
1998 810 LTD Dread

So, in common, all three are pre-NT.  But I haven't a clue as to what differentiates one from the other.  I can presume all are rw back/sides, but some of their dreds are euro spruce tops vs the signature sitka spruce.  Heck, I've even seen a cedar-top 800 once so how's that for a unicorn!  The LTD will have its own unique recipe going as every Limited model is uniquely spec'd for that year's Limited.

1. You are looking at specific guitars you've found listed ...so post specs and/or pics
2. Without the specifics, I'm not seeing any rationale that would explain one's preference of any one of these over the others. 

Offer up some specifics, otherwise all you'll get are guesses or groundless opinions.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:07:47 PM by Edward »

ScottSD

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 12:37:33 AM »
Some of those 810 LTD's were Brazilian and can be had for a reasonable price.

Something worth considering if it's in your budget.

Scott

DenverSteve

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 11:50:36 PM »
I’ve only played one Brazilian Taylor but it was nothing special.  Reminder that all Brazilian isn’t created equal.  There are a lot of low-end Brazilian-body guitars out there from unknown builders that are … not worth the case they’re in.  I treat Brazilian like I treat Maple and Koa - play before pay.  Well, that’s almost any guitar any more.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 10:58:58 AM »
I’ve only played one Brazilian Taylor but it was nothing special.  Reminder that all Brazilian isn’t created equal.  There are a lot of low-end Brazilian-body guitars out there from unknown builders that are … not worth the case they’re in.  I treat Brazilian like I treat Maple and Koa - play before pay.  Well, that’s almost any guitar any more.

This has been my very limited experience, as well.  And fwiw, I was once wowed by the lore of BRW ...lore.  Net mystique.  Meh.  I've long come to learn that much more has to do with the build of a guitar, its desgin and execution, than the wood species, itself.  I have personally witnessed countless who pine on and on in forums about how maple is bright and thin.  You know, the maple that is used in upright basses and cellos?!   Yeah, exactly.  And one ought not ever forget the infamous Taylor "pallet guitar" ...now that's a hoot!  How surprised was I to be bowled over by maple guits, the very wood I had avoided for years, and now own three in maple, LOL!  And that was well over a decade ago, and these three still cannot be "unseated" by whatever lovely guits I've come across to date.  All to say wood is good, but build matters more.  One's ears and hands are the ultimate judge IME.
:D

Edward
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:01:25 AM by Edward »

ScottSD

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »
My sample size for sample size for Brazilian is admittedly low (one) but man, I barely play my other guitars.

What prompted me to press the "Reply" button was Edwards comment about avoiding maple guitars which is basically where I've been. Now I'm intrigued.  I think I'm going to start a thread about maple guitars...

Scott