Author Topic: Taylor knows how to make a guitar!  (Read 1985 times)

bglaze

Taylor knows how to make a guitar!
« on: April 18, 2023, 12:43:20 AM »
So, I went to the guitar store today to only buy strings -- I swear! But, I wandered to the acoustic room first...  :D

On the Taylor wall, I saw a short row of guitars with clearance tags. My brother-in-law is in the market, so I figured I'd check these out to see if there was anything I could recommend to him.

There were a few natural top AD17e's. I had just watched a video of a guy really raving about this model, so I had to try one. It was loud, articulate, and I could feel the bass in my chest!

So, yeah, I bought it. For me. Lol.

I also can't believe how well this guitar was able to be set up. I got the relief to .005" with absolutely no buzz. I was able to sand less than 1mm off the saddle to achieve my preferred height [E] 1.60mm / 1.25mm [e] (holding the 1st fret, measuring at the 12th, bottom of string to top of fret). And yes, I did set it up immediately when I got home, lol. But, even with low action and only wearing 12s, this thing shakes my walls!

Further, the sustain, tone, tuning stability, and *dead-on* intonation have me shaking my head in almost disbelief. I put on new strings when I got the guitar home, stretched them once, and the guitar has just stayed in tune as if the strings were worn in.

I have held and played lots of acoustics in my life, and nothing has shocked me like this guitar has. Taylor has really done something here. Taking an old style and making it really new -- it's very impressive.

Here is an audio sample of me just noodling on this guitar: https://soundcloud.com/brock-glaze/ad17e-noodling/s-ZqpDhZU7QgZ?si=bfe8e6ccfca04746b6079cb345ce3138

Oh, and this guitar has a 3-piece back, which I LOVE!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 11:19:14 AM by bglaze »

Lillis

Re: Taylor knows how to make a guitar!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 08:07:39 AM »
Wow you got busy on that. Congrats on finding a very nice guitar that suits you so well.
512ce 12 fret,362ce & 322,Larrivee P03,00015SM

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 09:08:14 AM »
Congratulations! Enjoy your new, beautiful Taylor!
Did you ever get the strings you needed?  ;) :D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

bglaze

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 09:16:11 AM »
Congratulations! Enjoy your new, beautiful Taylor!
Did you ever get the strings you needed?  ;) :D

Haha, yes I did! And a few extra sets for this new Taylor!

ScottSD

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 11:15:17 AM »
Very Nice!  Enjoy that beautiful new guitar!

Scott

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 08:31:52 AM »
Congratulations bglaze.  Every time I have picked up and played a AD17 I have enjoyed it, they sound great.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

bglaze

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 11:05:04 PM »
Congratulations bglaze.  Every time I have picked up and played a AD17 I have enjoyed it, they sound great.   

Thank you! I've been more than a little impressed.

And, two words: bone saddle!

I had a bone saddle lying around that I originally tried on my 514ce but didn't care for it. It cuts the tinniness and swells the low-mids. That's the best I can describe it. It is amazing.

jricc

• Working musician, Music Teacher
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 08:03:00 PM »
Congrats blaze!  Sweet AD17!
Taylor AD22e

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 08:35:02 AM »

Thank you! I've been more than a little impressed.

And, two words: bone saddle!

I had a bone saddle lying around that I originally tried on my 514ce but didn't care for it. It cuts the tinniness and swells the low-mids. That's the best I can describe it. It is amazing.

It is hit or miss with bone saddles on my Taylors, mostly it is a good thing.  You are right, I would say it swells the low to mid tone.  I have also replace the end pins with bone bridge end pins that gave me favorable results as well.

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 10:30:39 AM »
Congrats on a great guitar!

And I can't help but agree on Taylor's ability to build a fabulous instrument.  Folks like this or that tone, and that's how it should be.  But for the quality, consistency, and attention to detail throughout the build, no other big maker does it as well as Taylor, none that I have ever seen.  Sure there are great guits out there of notable brands, but none of the "big boys" come close to the quality, consistency, and execution to detail as Taylor, and this over their entire line, particularly the "entry-level" models.  That opinion goes over like a lead balloon in other forums, lol!, but I reiterate my stance regardless :D

Edward

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 07:33:13 PM »

I was able to sand less than 1mm off the saddle to achieve my preferred height [E] 1.60mm / 1.25mm [e] (holding the 1st fret, measuring at the 12th, bottom of string to top of fret). And yes, I did set it up immediately when I got home, lol. But, even with low action and only wearing 12s, this thing shakes my walls!

Congrats on your new Taylor! Be aware that sanding down the saddle lowers the string break angle which will impact sustain and volume. Maybe 1mm won’t alter the angle an awful lot, but it still does. The proper way to get lower action is through a shim change in the neck by an authorized Taylor luthier. Enjoy it!

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 12:21:04 PM »
Congrats on a great guitar!

And I can't help but agree on Taylor's ability to build a fabulous instrument.  Folks like this or that tone, and that's how it should be.  But for the quality, consistency, and attention to detail throughout the build, no other big maker does it as well as Taylor, none that I have ever seen.  Sure there are great guits out there of notable brands, but none of the "big boys" come close to the quality, consistency, and execution to detail as Taylor, and this over their entire line, particularly the "entry-level" models.  That opinion goes over like a lead balloon in other forums, lol!, but I reiterate my stance regardless :D

Edward

Big +1 on this.

Normally I 'play before I pay'. I practice what I preach, as the only guitar I bought sight unseen, neck unfelt, and sound unheard was from a fellow member selling a Taylor 458e-R 12 string Grand Orchestra.

A great guitar then and still is now!

Don
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:44:20 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO