Author Topic: Tell me about: Straps (Lakota Update!)  (Read 1354 times)

ScottSD

Tell me about: Straps (Lakota Update!)
« on: February 22, 2023, 04:10:01 PM »
I've tried straps several times over the last few years and never warmed up to them.  I play seated and a strap just seemed to be in the way.  Until that is I got this '73 American Dream Dread...  Due to it's lack of a pronounced waist I've been struggling with it sliding around and shifting the neck angle while I'm playing, especially if I'm really digging into it. 

Anyhow, I had an epiphany today.  Dug out my old cheapo strap and stuck it on.  After a short adjustment period (me and the strap) I've decided it's going to stay on there for the most part.  How does everyone else work out the strap thing?  I'm assuming off in the case.  On while on the stand seems OK.  Favorite straps?  How do you work around the Taylor end pin?  I feel fortunate because the AD has a standard pin and separate jack.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:52:19 PM by ScottSD »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Tell me about: Straps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 05:08:46 PM »
Scott, due to knee and shoulder injuries I need to play seated with a strap 100% of the time.  I can only play any guitar bigger than a GC by using a strap - no choice given my right shoulder.  I use Lakota Leathers bison along with some cotton straps that have accumulated over the years.  Anything else is just too slippery and moves around too much.  I remove the strap when putting it in the case, and it gets rolled up and stored under the headstock or in the cutaway void for those guitars with a cutaway.  On Hercules floor stands or wall hangers, I just leave the strap in place.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

gscratchutay

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 09:56:29 AM »
I play three guitars, two Taylors and one Larrivee, always standing (so this is likely not relevant to your situation) and always using a strap.
I have two "Levi" brand leather straps and one Taylor brand woven material strap.  I like the Taylor strap the least.  The buckle sits right on my shoulder and it's easy to put the other two guitars in the cases, by just undoing the neck button; the location of the buckle on the Taylor strap hits right on the neck support in the case, so I have to fold it under.  I play that guitar with the Taylor strap the least, so I haven't replaced it.  But perhaps I'm motivated by telling this story to do something about it.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 11:15:28 AM »
I can't tell you how many times I've seen people dent the top of their guitar by not being careful with a buckled strap.  You don't need to see that very often in order to come to the conclusion that buckles are dangerous to our instruments.  So I avoid them.  Like the plague.

I've had great luck with Levy straps.  No buckles, comfortable to wear, come in a variety of colors and styles, and are reasonably priced.

But don't get me started on Taylor's elephantine end-pin jack.  It's an awful design on which almost no (unmodified) strap will fit.  Whenever I've purchased a new Taylor, I immediately order a Music Nomad Acousti-Lok, which is a clever device that fits around the jack and provides a separate pin on which you attach a strap.  So easy.  So logical.  You can find it here:  https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Acousti-Lok-for-TAYLOR-2007/

Make sure you get the one made specificaly for Taylor guitars.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 12:06:30 PM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 12:54:45 PM »
+1 on Lakota Leathers, they made my favorite strap by far. I would definitely not like a buckle on my strap either. I play mostly seated so the strap is just a help, but it does allow me to stand when I like. I just might check out the acoustic-loc though.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 03:18:18 PM »
But don't get me started on Taylor's end-pin jack.  It's an awful design on which almost no (unmodified) strap will fit.  Whenever I've purchased a new Taylor, I immediately order a Music Nomad Acousti-Lok, which is a clever device that fits around the jack and provides a separate pin on which you attach a strap.  So easy.  So logical.  You can find it here:  https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Acousti-Lok-for-TAYLOR-2007/
Make sure you get the one made specifically for Taylor guitars.

I have one 2007 Taylor with ES1.3 and would like also one of these for my Rainsong WS-1000 and my Emerald X20.  My other guitars were bought deliberately sans pickups so they have a standard end pin, which is no problem.  I'm tired of the enlarged holes that come from stretching straps to fit over strap-jacks.  Some homework is needed on which needs SAE and which needs metric though.  Glad you pointed out the difference, Dennis.  This has been on my radar for some time.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

ScottSD

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 09:29:21 PM »
Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses.  No buckles for me...   I'll definitely look into the Lakota straps and the end pin adapter.

Scott

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 10:41:43 PM »
Taylor has a whole new line of straps these days, and hopefully the leather ends are made thin enough to fit their ES end pin jack.  The old suede Taylor-embossed straps (from 10+ years back) were perfect: the skinny end (that you adjust for length) was thin enough to fit onto the ES jack no problem.  I have two of these and they are awesome.  If you find one used I'd highly recommend it.

Fwiw, I'd personally never use any strap adaptor of any kind as it adds another potential failure point (or forget-to-do-it-right point) as opposed to a strap directly affixed to the endpin.  Any strap can be easily made to fit onto the ES end pin (two coins, vise grips, and a few dabs of water is all you need).  And if you don't have an ES, most any strap typically fits just fine; though, again, the end of your favorite strap is easy enough to mod such that it is a snug fit and a permanent no-fuss solution.

And yes, strap off the guit whenever in the case or (for me), guits on the wall hangers sans strap.  Strap on the guit while on a stand is fine IF your are fastidious about keeping the strap out of a trip path.  Yes, I've seen it happen to another player where the strap is partly laying on the floor with the guit on a stand (on a break) and someone's foot catches it while walking and blam ...down goes a guitar!  Fortunately it was an electric and had a semi-soft landing so he dodged a bullet.

Edward
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 10:47:18 PM by Edward »

ScottSD

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 06:05:34 PM »
Thanks Edward

I'm going to use my cheapo strap until my guitar fund recovers from my latest acquisition. Then I'm going to ease on into straps.  Probably buy a Lakota for the AD and maybe a Taylor for the rest of my herd and see where that goes.  I'm good with straps on stands.  I only use Hercules stands which tend to be pretty stable and I'm pretty disciplined about when/where/how my guitars get set down.

Scott

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 05:17:35 PM »
Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses.  No buckles for me...   I'll definitely look into the Lakota straps and the end pin adapter.

Scott

I can't recommend Lakota straps enough. They are absolutely strong yet supple and the leather is out of this world.  8)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

ScottSD

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 11:48:51 PM »
Got my 3" Lakota strap in the mail today.  Good call...

Set it up on the guitar and spent an hour and a half playing.  Man, is it comfortable and non slip.  The tail piece is way long so I've got it looped twice through all five slots in the wide part, still have one extra holes worth hanging out past the end pin.  Not 100% sure how that's supposed to work but this seems to be functional...

Thanks for the guidance.

Scott