Author Topic: Sudden string slipping on GS Mini  (Read 971 times)

dbvirago

• My Words
Sudden string slipping on GS Mini
« on: February 18, 2023, 08:37:05 PM »
So, I'm on the computer and heard a loud twang. Assumed a string randomly broke, but checked all my guitars and nothing missing. But nothing else would sound like that, so I picked up each one and strummed. The high E string on my Mini was about 4 notes low. Bridge pin looked good and string wound around tuning peg.

Never experienced this before. Any ideas? These strings are fairly new, but I've played that one almost every day in the few weeks since last change.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

ScottSD

Re: Sudden string slipping on GS Mini
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 08:44:55 PM »
Maybe the ball end of that particular string wasn't seated tight against the plate on the back side of the top?  I try to pay attention to that when I restring.  That's all I got...

Scott

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Sudden string slipping on GS Mini
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 05:22:19 PM »
Yup, likely ball end.  It can happen if you string up and forget to pull up on the string when you press the pin down onto the bridge so it holds for a while, then, SNAP, it settles in.  Either this or a defective string.  That happens too, and is rare, but does happen!  FWIW, I had a defective G with a set of elixirs once and they sent me three of that string within days.

Edward