Author Topic: Back in the Taylor Fold  (Read 2222 times)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Back in the Taylor Fold
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2023, 06:37:59 PM »
Don, my shoulder injuries come from *guy stuff*.  Riding horses (or falling off), crashing motorcycles, skiing, spiking volleyballs, karate, football, etc.  I had pretty bad arthritis from all of that, but a seizure and a nasty fall really finished it off.  That event tore three of the four rotator cuff muscles clean from the bones and dislocated several ribs.  Surgery mostly repaired it/  Two years of 3X per week PT and a regimen of daily home exercises has restored most of the range of motion, but only a small fraction of the strength.  I'll never throw a ball again, but I can still play guitar and perform most tai chi poses.  I was a serious competitive pistol shooter for decades, but now I cannot hold a pistol up at arm's length for more than a few seconds, and not very steadily.  National Match rules state that you have to fire one-handed.

At 6"-6" and 300 pounds, clothing has always been a challenge for me, except possibly for football uniforms.  Things are somewhat better these days as there are more Big & Tall options, but t-shirts in 3XLT are still not common.  I don't have many t-shirts from concerts, music camps, Road Shows, etc.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 11:11:04 AM »
OT ...but man, Earl!  Sorry to hear about the maladies, man!  May you continue to enjoy what guitar fits you!  Like a different cut of shirt, guitars thankfully now come in all shapes and flavors.  Be well!
:D

Edward

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 02:56:35 PM »
Thanks, Edward.  It is what it is, and I make the best of it.  Forgive the drift into an old guy's "organ recital" - cataloging my organ failures and maladies.  What I wrote is only part of the story.  Every day on the green side of the turf is a good day.

At least it is still possible to play guitar, do tai chi several times a week, and work (retirement is looming but not directly related).  My focus is on the things I can still do, not on the things that are no longer feasible.  I would be in a world of mental hurt if no longer able to make music..... I really don't even want to think about that.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

themissal

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 05:42:45 AM »
Welcome back!

I have been a recent Taylor owner only… the last two years. And I don’t always check in to this site, but love my Taylor, and the site ain’t shabby… :)

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 12:21:49 PM »
First, thanks to all for the kind "re-welcomes"!

And second, complete ditto to what Edward said.

OT ...but man, Earl!  Sorry to hear about the maladies, man!  May you continue to enjoy what guitar fits you!  Like a different cut of shirt, guitars thankfully now come in all shapes and flavors.  Be well!
:D

Edward
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3