Author Topic: Looking for a pick that's sort of between tortex and ultex  (Read 805 times)

In_Tune

Looking for a pick that's sort of between tortex and ultex
« on: December 09, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »
So far, I've mostly liked using  0.73 ultex and 0.73 tortex picks, but also just tried out a 0.88 nylon pick which sounds great (the thinner ones are a bit too bendy for me).  I was kind of hoping to find something that's in between the ultex and tortex.  The ultex sounds a little too bright and trebly.  I think the tortex and nylon sound pretty natural.  Surprisingly, the nylon sounds a little brighter than the tortex.  Any suggestions?  Currently playing on a 114e that I just got, and love it so far. 8)

So, to summarize:
---Tortex flex - warmest sound, a little more bendy than the regular tortex
---Tortex - warm, smooth sound
---Nylon - similar to tortex flex, but a bit brighter, and maybe more bass
---Ultex - clean, bright, trebly sound.  Like the grip the best, but not the sound.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 07:23:40 PM by In_Tune »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Looking for a pick that's sort of between tortex and ultex
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 10:48:04 AM »
No advice for you with regard to a specific choice, except to say keep experimenting!

Pick differences, like strings, offer significant tonal nuances that too few players explore, imo.  Good on you for trying out different styles.  May I also suggest you try different shapes, trying even thicker, and arguably most importantly, different grip angles.  Happy picking and strumming! :D

Edward

In_Tune

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 10:21:26 PM »
Thanks.  I have one of those variety packs lying around, so have been messing around with different kinds.  After all that, I think I do like the ultex the best.  I picked up some Primetones today, which I guess are the same thing, but with a grip and beveled edge.  They sound good, too  8)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 02:38:30 PM »
I can't comment on what might work for you.  However, I did order the V-Picks sampler pack which proved very interesting. 
https://v-picks.com/shop/ols/products/starter-kit

The whole sample set stayed out handy on the table next to my playing chair and I would rotate through them often.  Sometimes I would play the same song several times using a different pick each iteration.  It was fascinating how much difference that made.  Some were better for basic strumming, others worked well for flat picking.  Others have only been used once - they were too small or too thin or had very pointed corners that were too sharp for my taste and technique.  Others have become dedicated to one guitar.  For example, the triangular one pictured in yellow works great with my twelve string.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby