Author Topic: Buzz on low E string when strumming with pick, new Taylor 512ce  (Read 935 times)

woozone

Hi,
So I purchased a brand new (straight from the box) 512ce (cedar/hog).  I opted not get it "set up" by the dealer as they customarily do as I wanted to just take it home right away.
It sounds great and the action is low and comfortable, but I wonder if it's too low;  The low E string buzzes when I play a bit louder with a pick.  Is this normal for a guitar like this?  My other Martin dreadnaught never buzzes no matter how hard I strum.  But this 512ce starts buzzing in most all frets for that E string, and sometimes for the A string.  I sent a message to Taylor and they said to have it checked by one of their authorized service centers.  Does anyone have any experience with sending a new guitar to one of their service centers?  Do they charge anything for something like this?

Thanks,
Chang
Chang

1996 Martin D-1
2022 Taylor 512ce cedar/hog
2022 Taylor GS Mini hog

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Buzz on low E string when strumming with pick, new Taylor 512ce
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 02:23:16 PM »
Is there something I'm not understanding?  Why don't you just take it back to the dealer you bought it from?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

woozone

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 02:42:32 PM »
Is there something I'm not understanding?  Why don't you just take it back to the dealer you bought it from?
Yes, I can do that and probably should.  It's just that the dealer is 1.5+ hours away while the other suggested Taylor service center is much closer.
Chang

1996 Martin D-1
2022 Taylor GS Mini hog

SDTaylorman

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:52:50 PM »
I sent a message to Taylor and they said to have it checked by one of their authorized service centers.  Does anyone have any experience with sending a new guitar to one of their service centers?  Do they charge anything for something like this?

If you buy a Taylor guitar new (unused) then you have a lifetime warranty on the guitar from Taylor and service center shouldn't charge anything other than shipping should you go that route.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 11:10:35 AM »
Hey Chang,

Well a few things are worth noting as yours is a difficult question to answer in a few words so bear with me, if you will:

1. How long have you had it?  "Straight out of the box" suggests to me that the guitar may be lacking proper humidity during shipping, and a "dry" guitar will absolutely affect the string height.  Do you check the RH of the guitar's case or room it is in? 

2. "Low" action means different things to different people.  An actual measurement is what you need to have.  Buy a small steel ruler graduated in 64ths (or metric if that's your choosing); any of the home-improvement stores have them for a few bucks and take the guesswork out of the equation.  Factory action at the 12th fret is 6/64ths low E, 4/64ths high e.  And very important with regard to buzzing is neck relief which you should learn to check and adjust as it is easy, but also easy to do harm. I can't recall the actual spec, but neck relief should be "just a bit of daylight" between string and fret, but this of course is relative to how aggressively one picks/strums. Taylor has a video on adjusting the Truss Rod which I highly recommend you check out.  Moreover, you should compare the numbers you have with your Martin's numbers as you may find that you prefer the latter's setup to how your 512 arrived.

3.  Your Martin is a dred, a wholly different animal from a Grand Concert: large body meant to project and capable of handling strong, aggressive playing vs a small body that has more touch sensitivity and "immediate" response at a cost of lower volume.  Body shape is a big deal!  Add to this major difference is your 512 has a cedar top which is a softer wood and wonderful for its warm tone and sensitivity, but is markedly different from your Marty's sitka top that is chosen for its stiffness, volume, and ability to handle a more aggressive right hand.  There is a definite reason that the majority of dreds' soundboards of innumerable makes are sitka spruce: its ability to drive hard and deliver big volume is its hallmark.

4. A proper setup is one that accommodates the player.  There is no single "correct" setting as much as there are settings that work for that player.  Sure there are numbers that the factory deems "good" that will suit most folks, but "most" cannot possibly define how you play.  So checking what numbers you have now gives you an idea of where you need to go.  And this also helps you understand your guitar better which is not only good in itself, but also can save you from having to visit a tech to do to your guitar what you may be able to easily accomplish in short order.

Food for thought, sir; I hope this helps you a bit.  Chime back in and tell us what ya find :D

Edward
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:20:16 AM by Edward »

woozone

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 05:25:06 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input!
I did get a chance to return to my dealer yesterday and had them adjust the truss rod (even though they said that the action for my guitar was within spec).  Raising the action didn't eliminate the buzz on the fret, so we lowered the action closer to where it was originally but only slightly higher than before.  I had grown comfortable to the playing style that this model is made for and prefer the low action.  Also, I tried other new guitars in the store and many of them had the same issue with the low E string.  I guess it comes down to my louder playing style from my Martin dread days.  And Edward, you're right, the cedar/hog combo of this particular guitar is made specifically for lighter picking rather than hard strumming.  I noticed this also in the nut height: the 512's nut height was much lower than other dreads I saw.   In all, I'm happy with the way this cedar top sounds and am looking forward to new ways of playing. 
Chang

1996 Martin D-1
2022 Taylor GS Mini hog