Author Topic: New GT 811 - fret sprout and uneven top  (Read 2264 times)

McBrain

New GT 811 - fret sprout and uneven top
« on: December 07, 2022, 06:21:47 PM »
Yesterday morning I received a Beautiful GT811 (no electronics) from Thomann in Germany. Thomann sent the guitar on Wednesday last week, so it took six days to get to my house in Denmark. 

I gave it time to acclimate; After about four hours, I removed the outer box. I then waited an hour more before removing the inner box. It then sat a few hours in the closed AeroCase before I unzipped it and waited another hour before opening the lid. All this was in my humidity controlled music room with a relative humidity of 45%.

Last night I finally had time to check it for flaws or damage. I quickly noticed that there is an area where the top is uneven in a stripe running from the bridge below the low E-string. Here the wood sits slightly lower than on the rest of the top. I also notice a little fret sprout on the neck.

Also the low E-string seems to have lower volume and a duller sound compared to the other strings. Could just be in my head though, since I noticed the issues before I played it.

Here's a video of the top, where you can see the uneven line: https://youtu.be/FNzq7x2OchM?t=69
And here's a picture of the top, where I marked the area: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhRufUbEngcKlKh3H1JJJS_FGFhLQw?e=GAeZgw

Is this to be expected on a 800-series?

I can't decide if I should just return it. It's quite expensive for what it is, and I saved for it for a while, so I'm afraid it will bother me if I keep it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:25:45 PM by McBrain »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: New GT 811 - fret sprout and uneven top
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 07:10:56 PM »
I was unable to see either the pictures or the video (marked as private).  However, your concerns seem valid to me.  At this price point, there should be no manufacturing flaws to speak of.  Fret sprout is easily handled -- five careful minutes with a file and some masking tape.  But an uneven top surface is a major red flag to me.

Based on personal experience, I know that if you get off on the wrong foot with a guitar early on, that is never truly forgiven or forgotten.  I tried for years to bond with a high end guitar from another maker that had obvious build flaws (and from their vaunted custom shop no less) then finally sold at a significant loss after spending hundreds on repairs that absolutely should have been warranty issues, but were denied.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

McBrain

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 07:24:37 PM »
Sorry. The video should work now.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 10:29:04 PM »
It is subtle and requires just the right reflection, but that looks like a major ripple or distortion in the top.  I believe that the GT has V-bracing, so that almost looks like lack of support from a detached longitudinal brace.  If you tap that area, can you hear any buzzing?  I you reach inside, can you wiggle that brace? 

Back she goes....   :-[
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 09:00:05 AM »
I would ask for an exchange, unlikely to have 2 that way, and no, this is not normal for an 800 series, or even a 100 series Taylor. As Earl points out, if it is bothering you today, it likely always will so don’t try to convince yourself that it is ok.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

McBrain

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:42:43 AM »
It is subtle and requires just the right reflection, but that looks like a major ripple or distortion in the top.  I believe that the GT has V-bracing, so that almost looks like lack of support from a detached longitudinal brace.  If you tap that area, can you hear any buzzing?  I you reach inside, can you wiggle that brace? 

Back she goes....   :-[

I fear that you are right, so I have decided to return it.
I haven't checked for a loose brace, since I don't want to mess with it too much. Even a minor ding or scratch could be a problem, when I return it.

I have described the issues to Thomann as the reason for returning it, so hopefully it won't get sold to someone else in this condition without them knowing. I have asked for a full refund, since they no longer carry the sans-electronics GT 811, so I'm afraid that they will instead insist on trying to repair it rather than ordering a replacement.

I also contacted Taylor support yesterday morning before posting here, but I still haven't heard from them.

It's a phenomenal looking guitar with a really pretty fretboard and I got it for $2400 (cyber week offer), so this is double frustrating, since I will now have to pay the full $2900 for a replacement.

Thanks to you both for helping me decide the best course of action.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 03:07:08 PM »
If it is your desire, Taylor will absolutely take care of the fret sprout, and if they find issue with the top, that as well.  They are second to none in supporting their customers, truly.  This is but one option to consider should the dealer balk at a return, or that you don’t want to lose the dough that you saved. 

Edward

McBrain

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 10:34:43 AM »
If it is your desire, Taylor will absolutely take care of the fret sprout, and if they find issue with the top, that as well.  They are second to none in supporting their customers, truly.  This is but one option to consider should the dealer balk at a return, or that you don’t want to lose the dough that you saved. 

Edward

Thanks, good to know. I have decided not to return the guitar before I hear back from Taylor.
I sent an e-mail to support@taylorguitars.com on Wednesday morning (GMT+1), so I'm hoping to hear from them today.

The fret sprout is actually not an issue at all, since I'm allergic to nickel and therefore I have my guitars refrettet with EVO Gold fretwire. I just mentioned it in case the ripple and the fret sprout are both the result of a dry guitar. This is also why I need to be as sure as possible, that I will be happy with the guitar, since having it refrettet will probably void the warranty and make it harder to sell + I will lose more money on it.

SDTaylorman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 01:57:19 PM »
There's a big time difference involved so while it's good you did email I'd suggest a call to their Amsterdam Customer Service line : +31 (0)20 667 6033 for more immediate assistance.

McBrain

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »
There's a big time difference involved so while it's good you did email I'd suggest a call to their Amsterdam Customer Service line : +31 (0)20 667 6033 for more immediate assistance.

Thanks. I will try calling if they don't respond to my mail soon. I prefer using photos/video to show what the problem is rather than having to explaining it over the phone. And the time difference shouldn't matter since I don't expect them to reply instantly.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 09:43:56 PM »
Hey McBrain,

Fwiw, my 08 DN that I've played lots over the years needed another level/crown.  But instead of spending that dough, I went full boat and refretted in Jescar EVO.  Love, love, love the results!  That you do this proactively is quite the dedication.  But I can't argue as the result is stellar.  I'm a big SS fan for electrics, but this is my first for an acoustic ...I can't recommend it enough!

Chime back in when you get results and update us! :)

Edward

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 11:02:51 PM »
EVO frets for me, thanks!  I am not allergic, thanks goodness , but I am a big believer in the Jescar EVO hard gold frets.  No fret dressing necessary for decades….

Wise to see what Taylor CS has to say. Their work is as good as it gets, imo.

Best on this

Paul

McBrain

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 09:20:30 AM »
Still haven't heard from Taylor CS, but I may have found the answer myself in the Wood and Steel "Ask Bob"-section. It's known as telegraphing and is to be expected on guitars with V-Class bracing. And since C-Class bracing is similar to V-Class bracing I'm guessing it also applies here.

First question on page six:https://woodandsteel.taylorguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/WS-V99-Issue1-English.pdf

"I have a 2019 814ce with a cedar top that I purchased from Wildwood Guitars in August of 2019. It’s been lovingly played nearly every day since, and otherwise stored in its hardshell case with an Oasis humidifier. I also have a small digital hygrometer in the case and check it each time I get my guitar out to play. It’s always between 40 and 45 percent RH. Lately I have begun to notice “witness lines” of the [V-Class] bracing pattern in the top. I can clearly see the “V” radiating down from the bridge to the tail of the guitar, and I can also see witness lines of those same braces between the bridge and the soundhole. Is this normal? I love my guitar, and I just want to be sure I am doing everything I can so it has a long and wonderful life. -Mike Keffeler"

"Mike, this is normal and not a problem. Telegraphing is when you can see the pattern of the braces underneath the top by looking at the top in certain light conditions. I’ll try to explain in words, but I’m making a video response as well. Our V-Class bracing is still new to the market after just a couple years, but we made guitars with it in our factory and put them through both our torture chambers and time trials for five years before ever releasing them to be sure they would be resilient. What is so good about V-Class is that the braces don’t run across the top from one side to the other like X bracing does. This helps both the sound and the stability of the guitar. Many other stringed instruments are actually braced in a similar way to V-Class, like mandolins, violins, archtop guitars and others. We have a soundhole in the middle of the top, so we run our braces in the V pattern to pass by the sides of the soundhole. The top of the guitar will shrink and swell with changing humidity levels, as always. An X brace runs across the grain from side to side, so it doesn’t show as much of the telegraphing pattern. But it causes the top to arch up with humidity and down with dryness. This is forever a problem because the string height goes up and down like a bladder being inflated and deflated. Since V-Class runs at only a slight angle in relation to the top grain, as the top stretches from drying, or gathers in on itself as it swells from higher humidity, it does not cause the top to rise and fall. Action and string height stay amazingly stable. This is a huge advantage of the V-Class design in addition to the tonal and intonation advantages. But the top can show the braces underneath when a top stretches or gathers from changing width. It’s just visual. There is no harm being done. It can come and go with humidity changes. Don’t be alarmed. We’ve tortured these guitars to extremes you cannot imagine. We are confident in them. -Bob Taylor"

McBrain

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 06:50:46 AM »
Hey McBrain,

Fwiw, my 08 DN that I've played lots over the years needed another level/crown.  But instead of spending that dough, I went full boat and refretted in Jescar EVO.  Love, love, love the results!  That you do this proactively is quite the dedication.  But I can't argue as the result is stellar.  I'm a big SS fan for electrics, but this is my first for an acoustic ...I can't recommend it enough!

Chime back in when you get results and update us! :)

Edward

Will do :)

I mostly play electric and had three of them refretted with SS before I learned about Jescar EVO frets. I actually don't get a reaction from SS frets since they don't release much nickel. But just to be safe I went with EVO frets on my Gibson Explorer and ES-339,and I can't say that I regret it.

I used to own a Gibson Hummingbird and later a GS Mini Koa that I sold, when my nickel allergy went haywire a few years back and I had to refret everything.

McBrain

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 07:06:03 AM »
EVO frets for me, thanks!  I am not allergic, thanks goodness , but I am a big believer in the Jescar EVO hard gold frets.  No fret dressing necessary for decades….

Wise to see what Taylor CS has to say. Their work is as good as it gets, imo.

Best on this

Paul

Thanks. Yeah, being allergic to nickel is really frustrating, but at least there are nickel-free options out there.

After reading up on telegraphing lines on acoustics, I have decided to keep the GT811 as is, since it sounds, plays and looks fantastic so I don't want to risk returning it and replacing it with another one.The devil you know and all that...