Author Topic: Shopping for a Grand Theatre  (Read 846 times)

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Shopping for a Grand Theatre
« on: November 29, 2022, 11:34:38 AM »
{Originally posted in the NGD thread, "How Many NGD's Did We Have in 2022?"}

Got bit by the Catfish Blues

My local (and favorite) Guitar Center (Boston, behind Fenway Park) built a Taylor Room a short time ago. I very recently went there to generally check it out, and specifically in the hope of finding some Grand Theatres that I could play. Hadn't played one yet. They only had a used urban ash model that I played for over an hour. Sounded much better that I expected, but I was hoping to play an 811 spruce over rosewood model or maybe an exotic cedar top.

Anyway I was pleased with the one I played. It was strung with light gauge strings (I have an analog caliper to check string gauges). Nut was definitely not 1+3/4" wide. But it was very playable, even if I tended to pull the treble E a bit. (I usually string my six string guitars with a .013 treble using the Elixir HD gauge.) I was mentally comparing it to my 412e-R spruce over rosewood Grand Concert. The lower bout is the same 15" width, but the GT is shorter in length and scale than my short scale GC. Overall my GC is a superior guitar in the smaller size group. Again, I was unable to compare to an 811 GT; maybe another time.

Conclusion was that it was a nice instrument, but in no way did it out-perform my GC. No sale. I would re-visit the model for a different version, but the cost of the 811 is a bit too much for this retired, but not too retiring, soul. So I doubt I would ever be able to justify getting one.

Now, about the 'catfish' comment. Since I retired I no longer have the wherewithall to be buying expensive instruments, and have been mostly looking at budget offerings. Hence the bottom-feeding catfish reference. But the funny part is that I enjoy shopping these instruments.

So after chatting with the salesperson, I was about to head out when I spotted another guitar in a side office. A 'brand' new Epiphone Inspired-by-Gibson sunburst J-200 12 String model. I just had to play it, so I inquired about it and got to play it. Tuned it to D# (I also had a chromatic tuner with me; part of my guitar shop 'go-bag') so my ears and fingers would feel at home, and put it through its paces. Really liked it. So much so that I now own it. Thing is that I can't find any information about it on-line. Don't care. (Doesn't appear to be the 'Studio' model version.) Plays easy and sounds great even though a 'budget' guitar. And it's a Jumbo, my favorite guitar size and shape.

Considering I got an Epiphone IBG Gibson sunburst J-200 6 string a while back, I was more than willing to take a chance on this 12 string one. Haven't had it a week yet, but liking it more and more everytime I pick it up.

Be well and play well,
Don
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 12:02:17 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Shopping for a Grand Theatre
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 11:49:21 AM »
Congrats, Don.  This just proves that we do not need to limit ourselves to the upper end of any product line.  If it is a good guitar for you, then it is good regardless of the sticker price or the head stock logo.   8)

I have a roughly 30-year old Seagull M6 (predecessor of the S6, bought used back then) that is only worth a couple of Benjamins in terms of cash value.  Yet I enjoy playing it and would be very sad if something happened to it.  It was my beater / travel guitar back when I was still flying on airlines.  In the event of a baggage disaster, it could be replaced at minimal expense at any time from Craigslist.  If I were stranded on a desert island and that Seagull were the only guitar available, I could still play happily.  The appeal is the wide 1.8" nut width and shorter scale, and the mellowness of the cedar top.  One day when I am done playing it is earmarked for donation to Guitars for Vets, like several others.  In fact, i need to put a fresh set of strings on it and play tonight.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 05:18:07 PM »
I have the all mahogany version.  I like it a lot.  Does it match the GC in sound?  Not quite.  As a smaller guy who's only getting older, it's probably gonna be a lifer for me.  I'm also looking strongly at the 811e.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
Like you, I'm an older, retired player. I recently played,fell in love and purchased the GTe Mahogany.  Weeks later, my 2 other guitars have basically wall hangers since. I have not felt this way about a guitar for a very....very long time.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:30:30 PM »
Cool story, and even better acquisition!  Well done, Don ...always nice to be "taken" by a good guit!

Edward