Author Topic: Favorite strap for builders edition guitars  (Read 1058 times)

Igotsoul4u

Favorite strap for builders edition guitars
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »
I am really enjoying my new K24CE Builders edition but haven't settled on a strap.  The button on the back of the guitar instead of the neck has made it a challenge to keep the guitar close to my body.  If the strap is tight it works pretty well but then it puts extra pressure on the button and I worry it will pop off.  Anybody using strap locks?  I am considering a taylor strap Element 2.5"

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Favorite strap for builders edition guitars
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 11:20:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the BE ...I love the rounded feel of those!

I hate strap locks ...and on an acoustic even worse.  The simple solution for a tight-fitting strap on the ES endpin is this:

1. Apply just a few drops of water to lightly wet the area immediately around the strap hole (I presume this is a leather strap?) ...both sides of the strap.
2. Take a couple of nickels and put them on either side of the hole in the strap, right where you dropped the bit of water. 
3. Clamp down on the nickels with a vise (or vise grips) overnight.
4. Next day you will see that the leather part where the nickels were clamped is nice and slim, allowing it to slip right into the groove of the ES endpin perfectly.  I've done this to three straps, and it works perfectly and permanently.  No fuss, no additional doo-dads to buy, and best of all no additional points of failure: your strap will hold securely.

Now go post a pic of that beauty, will ya?!  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:21:51 PM by Edward »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 11:56:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the BE ...I love the rounded feel of those!

I hate strap locks ...and on an acoustic even worse.  The simple solution for a tight-fitting strap on the ES endpin is this:

1. Apply just a few drops of water to lightly wet the area immediately around the strap hole (I presume this is a leather strap?) ...both sides of the strap.
2. Take a couple of nickels and put them on either side of the hole in the strap, right where you dropped the bit of water. 
3. Clamp down on the nickels with a vise (or vise grips) overnight.
4. Next day you will see that the leather part where the nickels were clamped is nice and slim, allowing it to slip right into the groove of the ES endpin perfectly.  I've done this to three straps, and it works perfectly and permanently.  No fuss, no additional doo-dads to buy, and best of all no additional points of failure: your strap will hold securely.

Now go post a pic of that beauty, will ya?!  :D

Edward

Edward,

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, they're talking about the strap button on the heel, not the end pin jack.  That may or may not change your advice, but I thought I'd mention it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:59:49 PM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 11:59:25 PM »
I am really enjoying my new K24CE Builders edition but haven't settled on a strap.  The button on the back of the guitar instead of the neck has made it a challenge to keep the guitar close to my body.  If the strap is tight it works pretty well but then it puts extra pressure on the button and I worry it will pop off.  Anybody using strap locks?  I am considering a taylor strap Element 2.5"

I use a Levy strap (the same company that makes Taylor's straps) on a guitar with the same type of heel button, and I've never had the strap come close to popping off.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 07:17:08 AM »
My favorite strap is my Lakota Leathers strap. Have had no issue, even on the BE.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 10:46:13 AM »
Ooops, I misread "back of the guitar" and figured the endpin ...I forgot that Taylor moved the front strap pin on some models!  Thanks, Dennis, for the correction!  Sorry, OP :)

The front pin on a Les Paul can be dicey with some straps, and I've found these oversized ones to be perfect.  Check it out:
https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/misc-hardware/gotoh-ep-b3-strap-button-oversized-set-of-2/

Edward
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 10:50:08 AM by Edward »

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 10:37:36 PM »
Wondering if this might work:

https://blog.taylorguitars.com/how-to-use-strap-locks-with-your-taylor-acoustic-guitar

While it's designed (Acousti-Lok Strap Lock Adapter for TAYLOR® Guitars with a 9 Volt EXPRESSION SYSTEM® Battery Box) for the battery box strap button, it looks like it would also work on the back of the guitar for your existing back button. That way you don't need to modify anything original on the guitar and can have strap locks (if you desire it) on both ends by buying two of these.

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Acousti-Lok-for-TAYLOR-2007/#prettyPhoto
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 10:41:12 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa