Author Topic: Question about the 811e  (Read 1055 times)

joshsimpson79

Question about the 811e
« on: November 04, 2022, 11:03:03 AM »
I found one of these used for a decent price.  As I look online, some of them are two piece backs and some are one.  As someone who has never bought an 8 series guitar, is there anything to be gained by a one or two piece, or is it all cosmetic?

Thanks.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

SDTaylorman

Re: Question about the 811e
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 11:04:37 AM »
Cosmetic if it's done right.
P.S. Taylor does them right.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »
Thanks.  I kinda like the look of the two piece, though it will not deter me if the price is right.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 03:56:41 PM »
I don't recall Taylor using a one-piece back on anything.  If it appears to be a single piece of wood, even on a smaller guitar, odds are that it is layered or laminate back (as on the GS Mini and Baby Taylor's).  Furthermore, an 811 is an 800-series guitar and most likely all solid wood.  But I don't follow things that closely any more.  I'm ready to stand corrected......
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 09:30:28 PM »
What Earl said; right on, on all counts.  My experience as well. 

Side note: the 800s aren't that much smaller than the GC, and I've never once seen a 1-pc pack on a GC in the decades I've played and demo'd Taylors.

Edward

joshsimpson79

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 11:41:56 PM »
OK, let me clarify. Some of the models of the 811 have a white skinny stripe down the back. Some do not. But it is the same model of guitar. That’s why I came to this forum, because I have only been up to the five series in my Taylor ownership through the years.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 12:55:12 PM »
Hey there Josh,

The 811 with a "skinny stripe" down the back is an aesthetic touch that differentiates it from its brethren without the strip.  Bottom line: they are two-piece backs.

Disclaimer: I've not seen an 800 with said appointment, personally.  But there have been Taylors in the past with such adornments, whether two-piece or three piece, where the latter is typically a wedge shape to make it look "better" for those so inclined.  The point is Taylor has never made a one-piece back for the solid-wood guitars --300 series upward-- that I have known of or seen, not ever.  Either they have a unicorn out there, or what you are seeing as "one-piece" is likely a well-matched two-piece back (often called bookmatched) which is not at all uncommon, particularly in some woods where its grain tends to not be so "dramatic" so as to appear like one slab.  Mahogany comes to mind.  Fwiw, I've seen many a Les Paul whose mahogany body reveals a back that looks like one piece, but under a very close eye you can see the seam.  For example, anyway.

EDIT: I just now googled up some images of 811 backs and sure enough, there are several examples there of rw backs that have very straight grain and uniform hue that can easily be mistaken as one piece.  And I saw one from Zounds that has the stripe you mention.  Imagine not building in the stripe and that exact wood example could easily look like a single piece:
https://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYGT811

Bottom line: these are aesthetic considerations and have no effect on tone or structure, only one's perception of "beauty."  Hope this helps you a bit. :)

Edward

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 01:09:47 PM by Edward »

joshsimpson79

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 02:48:19 PM »
Thank you so much for confirming what I thought. It seems strange that some have the white stripe and some don’t. I personally like the white stripe more, but I also don’t care a whole lot if the price is right, because it’s on the back of the guitar. So if I pull the trigger on one I’m currently looking at, it certainly won’t make a difference. Thanks again.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 03:40:19 PM »
Woods for backs and tops are typically quartersawn and book matched and usually are 2 pieces. Some, like a Martin D 35 have 3 piece backs.