Author Topic: Remember Taylor Road Shows? ...Martin show...  (Read 1205 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Remember Taylor Road Shows? ...Martin show...
« on: November 04, 2022, 12:05:20 AM »
Meandering thoughts alert.  Feel free to tune out at any time! :)

I miss the Taylor Road Shows.  Been to a bunch, and every single one was so well done!  Lively, entertaining, killer talent without exception, and always friendly, unassuming, and inviting!

Well I went to my first Martin show at a local shop (that also had hosted many a Taylor show).  Great little shop run by a good owner.  The presentation was ok and run by a really nice Martin rep.  But no sound system so sometimes hard to hear him speak.  Guitars were great but not really well demo'd at all ...strum here and there and no "strong talent" behind them.  Super friendly rep, but seemed like he was constantly speaking in broad strokes as opposed to getting into any detail or depth.  And awkward moments of handing this guitar and that guitar, as if they were just wingin it.  Had I nothing else to compare to I probably would have been more enthusiastic, so that's not his fault.  Made me see how organized and seamless the Taylor shows are.  Still, great time at the "petting zoo" being able to demo their fine wares.  So yeah, overall I had a good time, but simultaneously made me hearken back to when Taylor did these regularly. 

Best moment: last guitar I played, last chord and then placed it back on the wall; I rested for a moment in absolute satisfaction of what I have on my wall!  It is so genuinely gratifying, and absolutely humbling, to know that after having played the finest Martin has (and the other Taylors, as well over years), that I have zero desire for another guit because none bring anything to the table that leaves me wanting.  It's liberating.  And immensely satisfying.

If you get wind of a Martin show near you, go for the joy of it.  But man, Taylor really needs to bring back their game!

Edward
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:07:26 AM by Edward »

xtremearmor

Re: Remember Taylor Road Shows? ...Martin show...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 12:08:03 AM »
I went to a single Taylor Road Show and much enjoyed it.  Won a t shirt which I still wear though it has some miles on it, and met Cory Witt who did many a demo for them.  I believe it was the year the T5Z came out.
2016 Custom Shop GA Engelmann/Wild Rosewood

SDTaylorman

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »
So wait...Martin was relying on their age and reputation instead of putting on a good presentation of their instruments? I can't believe it.  ::)

OTOH...I'd bet Taylor resumes their awesome shows soon (hopefully when the factory reopens for tours). They've been very good at protecting their employees health (and therefore the health and production of the company) and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 04:07:58 PM »
I have been to at least a dozen Road Shows in four different states - got lucky while traveling a few times.  They were always enjoyable and informative, and I often won some swag (picks or a t-shirt) as a door prize.  I couldn't use the t-shirts as I wear 3XL Tall, so those went along as case candy with the guitars I've since sold off.  I look forward to the Road Shows resuming, if they ever do, even though I am out of the market entirely now.  There are worse ways to spend an evening.....

I went to a Martin event at Gryphon about 30 years ago.  The biggest thing I remember was Chris Martin IV himself handing me a really special D-45 to try (priced at $10K) even though it was at least twice any budget that I could ever consider.  (I ordered a custom shop J-40 the next year).  Taylor does a better job with these events.  If Martin had a show around here I might go, but unlikely.  My left hand does not get along with their standard or MLO necks anymore, but I would love to try a CEO-7.  Never seen one in the flesh.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 04:42:20 PM »

Best moment: last guitar I played, last chord and then placed it back on the wall; I rested for a moment in absolute satisfaction of what I have on my wall!  It is so genuinely gratifying, and absolutely humbling, to know that after having played the finest Martin has (and the other Taylors, as well over years), that I have zero desire for another guit because none bring anything to the table that leaves me wanting.  It's liberating.  And immensely satisfying.

Edward

I know what you mean. It's taken me several decades to work through a number of Taylors (on the acoustic side, I also play electric) to end up with my forever guitars, a 914ce Sinker Redwood LTD and Koa GS Mini. I no longer wonder if there's another one "out there", and it's given me more time to focus on playing and practicing. My desire to even look at guitars is gone, that's how I know I'm done. I look at that 914 LTD every time I pick it up and can't believe it's mine. So blessed and will never take it for granted. As I look at retirement next year, my timing was good for this to happen!

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 10:01:34 PM »
...I know what you mean...My desire to even look at guitars is gone, that's how I know I'm done. I look at that 914 LTD every time I pick it up and can't believe it's mine. So blessed and will never take it for granted. As I look at retirement next year, my timing was good for this to happen!

Yessiree, blessed beyond words!  With my electrics and amps, as well.  My focus for the last several years (a few years before this covid madness) was trying to score gigs for the band, and now thinking of doing solos for grins and giggles.  I still love demoing guits and gear as that's simply fun.  But all GAS is gone, genuinely cured, and this for some time now.  It's a wonderful place to be, and likewise will never take that for granted! :)

Back to the Martys:
I didn't see a CEO model, but did play an Authentic: nice without doubt, but not all that impressed.  And for all the hoopla (and the price), I didn't "hear" it.  Probably in the same way others think 900s are "overpriced," the Authentics (two I tried) were frankly just "nice" guits that did not command any "ooooh" moment in me as other guits do when I play them.  They did have a super-blinged, abalone-everything model that makes a 900 look downright spartan!  Sounded good, but that's it, good.  Funny thing about their line: not a lot of wood variety to be had.  Zero options in maple, cedar, redwood, etc ...just the ol' standards with a scarce few options that like zircote b/s or adi top.  And on that note, perhaps their sparse offerings explains why there was zero discussion of wood species except the obvious mahog vs rw broad brush talk.

The new SC series is interesting, as their "innovative" take on being "modern," as if to say we don't have to be that old company everyone thinks of.  Almost like a Breedlove in that its shape and body features are a bit unorthodox.  Good on them, imo!  But I can't help but think how funny it is how Taylor was bashed by the old guard builders in the 70s-80s for being genuinely innovative in its departure to the traditional processes, but now that Martin does it, it is a step forward for them, lol! :D

Again, glad to have gone and played em!  My fave seems to gravitate around the OM/OOO models, much akin to my Style-2 (a GC-body) for its balance and string-to-string definition.

Edward
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 10:03:20 PM by Edward »

Maple422

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
I see that they are starting in store "Find Your Fit" by appointment. This is one happening on Long Island this week. Road Show adjacent I guess.

https://calendly.com/mv-taylorguitars/find-your-fit-ny-music-emporium-11-10-2022?facebook%2Fad=&month=2022-11
– Maple422 –

Taylor 422 Maple
Taylor 614e Prototype
Taylor 752 LTD 12-String/12-Fret
Taylor 724ce Koa
T5-S
T5z Road Show LTD Grapevine
GS Mini FLTD Koa
GS Mini Rosewood Plus
Baby-M
Taylor SolidBody Standard

Rene Asologuitar

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 11:32:37 AM »
Meandering thoughts alert.  Feel free to tune out at any time! :)

I miss the Taylor Road Shows.  Been to a bunch, and every single one was so well done!  Lively, entertaining, killer talent without exception, and always friendly, unassuming, and inviting!

+++++++++
Love 'em shows!!!
Taylor always presents a great show, better than any I have been to.
Love both makers.