Author Topic: 522CE Question  (Read 1604 times)

ScottSD

522CE Question
« on: October 16, 2022, 09:29:18 PM »
Hey All,

I own a 2014, 12 fret 522E which I'm totally enamored with.  The guitar sounds amazing.  I love the 12 fret neck & scale, the mahogany, compact size, slot head.  I love everything about this guitar, except the lack of a cut away.  Anyone out there have experience with both the E and CE versions of this guitar who can speak to any noticeable differences in the sound you trade for the access to those upper frets? Examples are relatively few and far between locally so I thought I'd check with the brain trust before I decide to quest for one.  Bonus points for thoughts on X vs V braced versions. 

*Edit-originally listed my 522 as a CE, it's an E, thanks Edward...

Thanks in advance,
Scott
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 10:44:04 PM by ScottSD »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 522CE Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 10:37:53 PM »
Hey Scott,

I've personally never heard a difference in tone between a cutaway and non-cutaway guitar, not that that would be an easy thing to test given there are innumerable nuances between two identical guitars.  But if it help you any, I do recall Bob himself saying long ago that there is very little "going on" at that extreme end of the soundboard so if --if-- any sonic even does exist between cutaway and regular, human ears would not be able to perceive it.

Your 522 12-fret is a great guitar ...I love what Taylor does with the 12F models!  Yours is not, however, a "CE" as that "C" denotes the cutaway, so yours is a 522e then, unless I'm missing something.  BTW, if you even have a chance at demoing a 12F in a GA body, that is a sonic treat!  Personally, I would love to have a 12F in a GA body, but those are rare to come by as I've played and seen exactly one out there in the wild. 

With regard to the v-braced guits and their predecessor the x-braced, there is lots of polarization here.  Some love what the v-braced brings, others prefer the tone --notably fuller low end, in general-- of the pre-V guitars.  Which means there are the x-braced which was the default, then the AP-braced and the CV-braced on some of the Fall/Spring Limited models.  So that can really confuse things as these LTDs varied wildly!  But as for the V guitars, only your ears can decide whether it's for you or not.  Some call these more tonally balanced, others find them lacking.  I can give you my opinion, but that doesn't really help you I think so your best bet is to audition them as you come across them. :)

Edward
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 10:46:06 PM by Edward »

ScottSD

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 10:45:18 PM »
Thanks Edward, I fixed that.  All my other Taylors are CE's so that's apparently my default...

Scott

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 09:58:28 PM »
Hi Scott, I have 2 GC 12 fret CE’s and two GC 14 fret non cutaways. But, they are all different woods, so can’t really compare sound. As Edward said, there likely isn’t anything you could detect with your ear between a cutaway and not. That said, the 12 frets feel very different from the 14 frets and lately I have gravitated to the GC 14 fret which for some reason seem to reflect me as the player more, which of course is something that can’t be measured. Just my feelings when playing my 322e and GC custom Coco/euro spruce guitars. I know the 322e is v-class but can’t even tell you what bracing is in my Custom(I bought it second hand) and don’t care. Both sound great and sustain a long time. The 12 frets sound and feel great too but lately at least I am all about the non cutaway 14 fret, again, don’t know why but it is just working for me lately.
I think if you go for the cutaway you will be happy too and not notice a difference in sound due to the cutaway, but,(there is always a but) it will be from another piece of wood which may sound a little different.
Play the v-brace, decide for yourself. It works for me but so do my older guitars…I hope you find what you seek!
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

ScottSD

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 01:59:06 AM »
Thanks FF, I hadn't really considered a 14 fret GC.  It looks like I have some home work.

Scott

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 02:16:59 PM »
Thanks FF, I hadn't really considered a 14 fret GC.  It looks like I have some home work.
Scott

GC body, 14 fret, with cutaway, in a different wood set for a tonal contrast to what you have now.  Do it! :)

Edward

ScottSD

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 04:15:37 PM »
You ain't wrong.  I've got a really nice GS LTD in spruce over cocobolo.  I can only imagine how nice that would be in a GC body 12 or 14 fret...  The difficulty becomes finding and trying those guitars.  I'm kinda over buying new and sight unseen. 

Scott

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 08:35:30 PM »
I can't fault you for avoiding new and sight unseen.  The former is easier to come by since there is no shortage of used "classifieds" out there in gearland.  But being able to audition one almost defines it will be new.  Rolling the dice may be your best bet if all other factors are in line ...at least with a Taylor, you're guaranteed consistency and QC.

Edward

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »
I know 2 of us on here have Coco GC guitars, but I doubt either will sell:) I find the 14 fret no cutaway gives me enough access as does the 12fret cutaway. Play some of each and then keep an eye out. Good luck.
Dave
2004 314ce,
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

ScottSD

Re: 522CE Question (NGD Update)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 09:18:55 PM »
So, I found/purchased a minty '16 522CE from a shop in the mid-west.  I've had it in my hands for nearly a week, got a few hours playing time on it and I'm pleased to report; I like it a lot.  I am somewhat surprised that it's brighter than it's non cut away counterpart but not objectionably so.  Some of this may be due to the new strings they threw on it before they sent it my way (80/20 Elixer Nanos were I to guess).  My 522E is wearing a well aged set of Elixir phosphorous bronze so, I'm certain that's part of it.  I loath changing out a perfectly good set of strings although, I may just swap the strings on both guitars straight across and see what that sounds like. More to follow, hopefully a picture too. 

Scott

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 09:49:58 PM »
Hey Scott,

Well that's simply outstanding!  Nice acquisition, man ...I wholly approve :)

Btw, there is a considerable difference in the elixir PB vs 80/20 so you are absolutely correct in that assessment.  Wear em down and swap with PBs and you'll get that smooth, crisp top end as opposed to the "zing" that's more prevalent with the 80/20s. Enjoy, sir!! :D

Edward

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »
Scott's dynamic duo:

Beautiful!  And I've always loved the look of a slot head but never ended up getting one.  Enjoy in great health and happiness, man! :D

Edward
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:45:27 AM by Edward »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »
I ran into a 522 about 4-5 years ago at my local store, and was sorely tempted to bring it home.  That was probably the nicest single Taylor guitar I have ever played, out of literally hundreds.  I am firmly in the "no more buying" camp these days, and far more likely to sell instruments than get new ones.

The rationale behind a twelve fret body join is that it puts the bridge more into the center of the lower bout, at a sweet spot for vibration and mellow tone.  But I play above the 12th fret fairly often and need that real estate, so it is either a cutaway or 14-fret for me.  There are certain tunes (and some tunings) that I simply cannot play on a non-cutaway twelve-fret guitar, like my nylon classical.

One simply cannot compare two different string types or ages with any reliability.  If you want to compare tone, it has to be the same gauge and alloy and about the same length of time installed on the guitar and tuned up to pitch.  Otherwise there are too many variables.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 04:53:17 PM »
Wow, what a great pair of guitars. Now, when you get around to putting fresh strings on both you can answer the age old question of if the cutaway affects the tone! In my cabinet is a 522ce and a 322e, which are all mahogany and mahogany top respectively. The different back and sides(Blackwood) on the 322 plus the 14 fret neck join result in each being very unique from the other. Those look great and I know they will sound great. I have tried non PB strings of various brands but keep coming back to PB for the mahogany topped guitars. Enjoy that pair of guitars!
Dave
2004 314ce,
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable