Author Topic: So long Wood & Steel  (Read 8073 times)

SDTaylorman

Re: So long Wood & Steel
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2023, 09:51:24 AM »
I'm saying that print is going away because it doesn't make sense anymore.

With all due respect anyone who has been through a(n extended) power outage and/or tested the reading comprehension skills of a digital reader knows that's simply not the case.

Gabrielobrien

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2023, 07:11:21 PM »
I'm saying that print is going away because it doesn't make sense anymore.

With all due respect anyone who has been through a(n extended) power outage and/or tested the reading comprehension skills of a digital reader knows that's simply not the case.

I mean, sure that makes it hard to read digitally, but no one is gonna die if they don't have access to digital Wood&Steel for a few days

phavriluk

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2023, 01:09:53 PM »
Taylor's confined distribution of this promotional 'magazine' to folks who registered a new Taylor at some time.  No outreach in there to attract new customers.  Eh?  Are repeat sales all that common so as to ignore a wider potential customer base? 

SDTaylorman

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2023, 04:12:45 PM »
Taylor's confined distribution of this promotional 'magazine' to folks who registered a new Taylor at some time.  No outreach in there to attract new customers.  Eh?  Are repeat sales all that common so as to ignore a wider potential customer base?

That's just not true. I saw W&S in many a guitar shop (including GC) available for anyone who wanted to grab one. As a matter of fact that's how I came upon my first brush with Taylor guitars at all. In addition, it was my understanding that if you simply contacted Taylor they'd put you on the mailing list (though that might not be 100% accurate). To say that Taylor "confined distribution" or "ignored a wider potential customer base" via W&S in print format is just incorrect.

Paul60

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2023, 11:21:46 AM »
I really miss the physical magazine.

That's why I buy real books, vinyl albums, CD's.

I want something tangible to hold and enjoy.

To hell with digital crap.

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2023, 08:57:38 PM »
I really miss the physical magazine.

That's why I buy real books, vinyl albums, CD's.

I want something tangible to hold and enjoy.

To hell with digital crap.
Ditto........old

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2023, 10:32:29 AM »
STOP right here. Take a breath.

OK.

Please go back and re-read this thread.

Now let's think this through.

There is only one 'issue' here. Would a print version of "Wood & Steel" be viable as a profitable printed product. I don't know, nor does anyone else. Since there will be a digital version, the question of continuing Wood & Steel is already a 'yes'.

My position is simply that I offered to pay for a printed version and used the "Fretboard Journal" as an example. It is a quarterly gloss magazine that covers material in the same field. I pay for a subscription to Fretboard Journal and have done so for years. So it can be done. And with a much thicker end product, I might add.

I have yet to see any kind of survey sent to current W&S customers. All I have seen are things as in the "It has been determined . . ." kind of thought process. Since the magazine has had a green light on a digital version, all questions and comments have been answered with obfuscations and mis-directions. Resulting in what is essentially "push-back" for talking about this while providing no real answers.

For example, why is it important to anyone what happens to the magazine by the end-user (subscriber) of said magazine. Yet this was a proffered topic used as some kind of answer or refutation. This is not relevant.

And it seems Gabriel accused me of taking this personally, while he himself is taking this personally, but using me as a straw-man to draw attention away from himself. There are many people in the news these days accusing someone else of doing the exact same thing that they themselves are 'guilty' of. Just to put blame on someone to divert suspicion away from themselves and onto someone else. For the record, my life will not end if W&S is only digital. That just makes it a reference tool, but definitely not something to read for enjoyment anymore. My only dog in this fight is that I enjoy reading printed matter rather than be tied to a computer screen. Something my older eyes don't like. And I will pay for this privilege.

An example of misdirection is the bit about not having power for a day or two, so it's no big deal. In actuality, not having power for any length of time IS a big deal. Both computer-wise and refrigeration-wise. Just because it might happen to a private citizen makes it OK? If a corporation goes without power it could be out of business, or at least lose business during that time. But they should have many redundancies and power reserves so that doesn't happen. I can't believe this passes for a creditable answer by trying to make someone feel bad and ashamed to complain if it happens (or possibly could) to them.

So here are some ideas.

Actually do a survey to find out what Taylor customers think about monetization of Wood & Steel in a print version. Please note that the customer base is a large part of the group of people that have in the past proven their trust in Taylor with their hard-earned cash. And took the time to register their guitars with Taylor.

Such a survey could include price gathering info of what might be acceptable levels. Maybe the magazine could be outright profitable. Or maybe find out a price point that would make it profitable if consideration is given to future repeat sales. You know, basic stuff.

Maybe try some sort of "Fund-me" page to conditionally gather funds toward a future product. Companies seem to try anything with this process. Then interested people could buy physical product on a pre-order basis, say for year or number of issues or whatever. Said money is in the form of pledges to pay if the product 'floats'. Money and peoples' interest could be measured up front. And if it doesn't float, so be it. The pledge is not collected, and thus does not cost anything.

There are other possible things, but most of this really concerns the company's interest in supporting their existing customer base in a manner to which they have been served in the past. Even if that means we have to provide some sort of financial help to Taylor.

And for the record, as far as reading things on-line when there is a printed copy available, I have become a total Luddite even though I have multiple degrees and certifications in the digital industry. I'm just a bit older and wiser now, and will try keep making sense of what is best for me. I very much enjoy reading books for both pleasure and knowledge. And I will acknowledge that I enjoy participating in forums, but that is not the same thing as settling in with a printed book or magazine. And I have taken a hiatus from digital platforms many times in the past. Good for the soul.

Be well,

Don

Edited for proof-reading.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 10:53:14 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC