Author Topic: So long Wood & Steel  (Read 8071 times)

beachbum205

• <><
Re: So long Wood & Steel
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 05:48:53 PM »
Sorry for the double post. I have no idea how that happened.

And yes, I agree that "progress" certainly can be just the opposite for some people. 
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 12:46:44 AM »
I have been tuning my 12 strings down for nearly 60 years.

I have been drinking the same brand of tea for over 65 years.

I have a kindle, but I don't use it much. I like to read real books and I willingly pay for the privilege of doing so. I would never ever think of using a kindle for serious research.

I still have a library card and use it to get hard-to-find books.

I was the victim of a classical education and I am immensely grateful for it.

I never let school interfere with my education.

I taught myself to play guitar in large part through books.

I taught myself to program a computer through books.

I had to get a later-in-life graduate degree in computer programming to work in the field, but I am a Luddite at heart. No cell phone.

I guess what I'm saying is that old habits die hard. Especially the enjoyable ones.

And I would pay for a printed subscription to "Wood & Steel". And I do appreciate all the "free" issues I received. Gee, all I had to do was buy a new Taylor guitar. Or two . . .

Hey Taylor management, would that help grease the wheels?

Don
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:50:37 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2023, 01:00:03 PM »
...And I would pay for a printed subscription to "Wood & Steel". And I do appreciate all the "free" issues I received. Gee, all I had to do was buy a new Taylor guitar. Or two . . .
Don

Nice list, Don!  :D

While no luddite myself, I am still very "analog" in many of my choices.  And I think for some things, print really is the best medium.  Sign me up for a paid subscription to W&S ...that's an easy decision to make, and I'd order in a heartbeat (and I'd pay digitally ;) ).

Edward

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2023, 05:56:23 PM »
I too would be more than happy to pay to keep receiving a print version. The digital version of most everything looses it on me.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2023, 07:42:10 AM »
...And I would pay for a printed subscription to "Wood & Steel". And I do appreciate all the "free" issues I received. Gee, all I had to do was buy a new Taylor guitar. Or two . . .
Don

While no luddite myself, I am still very "analog" in many of my choices.  And I think for some things, print really is the best medium.  Sign me up for a paid subscription to W&S ...that's an easy decision to make, and I'd order in a heartbeat (and I'd pay digitally ;) ).

Edward

Agreed, I would be almost happy to receive the W&S in subscription form.  On the upside, GAS will subside without the W&S by my night stand. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

SDTaylorman

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2023, 11:52:39 AM »
Don

Edward

Agreed, I would be almost happy to receive the W&S in subscription form.  On the upside, GAS will subside without the W&S by my night stand.

Exactly! This is penny wise and pound foolish for Taylor AFAIC. All they had to do was sell, what...3 to 5 (maybe 10) guitars and they'd clear enough to keep W&S in print each year. The fact that it's no longer in print (and in the hands of potential buyers) potentially means LESS guitars sold and that's a bottom line LOSS to Taylor. A foolish, short sighted move.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2023, 11:40:13 AM »
Don

Edward

Exactly! This is penny wise and pound foolish for Taylor AFAIC. All they had to do was sell, what...3 to 5 (maybe 10) guitars and they'd clear enough to keep W&S in print each year. The fact that it's no longer in print (and in the hands of potential buyers) potentially means LESS guitars sold and that's a bottom line LOSS to Taylor. A foolish, short sighted move.

I initially thought it 'wood' be cost saving by not needing workers to do the magazine, but then I realized they would still be needed to do the digital issues too. In fact they probably have been doing print versions on software editors for quite some time. But I would still like a print version delivered. And the photos are so 'inspiring'.

Unfortunately there are a great many people who use their electronic devices as sole sources of most everything, which can devolve into a lot of 'film at 11' type of articles with all the associated lack of details.

So I will still 'swipe left' on this idea.

Don
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:45:27 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2023, 03:11:05 PM »
I too "swipe left" on the idea of a paid subscription.  I like the idea of paper copies showing all those wonderful photos, and I have most of them stored away.  If you look at my list of guitars in my signature, several of them were LTD's and I would only have become aware of them through W&S.  But for several years now more than 50% of the content is self-congratulatory praise and what can only be described as corporate green washing.  When the magazine comes to me free (either paper or digital) I can skip that content -- no harm, no foul.  But paying for it would become quite annoying.

I feel the same way about other magazines too.  I started subscribing to Acoustic Guitar magazine at issue #2 back in 1990.  But a few years ago, I counted up the content in the latest issue.  There were 40 pages with some editorial "content" and 45 pages of advertising.  At one time when they started, the articles were quite in-depth and contained considerable information.  Later the content seemed considerably dumbed down, and a feature article from the cover was maybe 3-6 column-inches.  That is when I quit subscribing.  I guess this old guy aged out of the target demographic and current shorter attention spans.   Now get off my lawn!  [shaking cane]  Back to my cave now.......
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:13:06 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2023, 04:44:52 PM »
I too "swipe left" on the idea of a paid subscription.  I like the idea of paper copies showing all those wonderful photos, and I have most of them stored away.  If you look at my list of guitars in my signature, several of them were LTD's and I would only have become aware of them through W&S.  But for several years now more than 50% of the content is self-congratulatory praise and what can only be described as corporate green washing.  When the magazine comes to me free (either paper or digital) I can skip that content -- no harm, no foul.  But paying for it would become quite annoying.

I feel the same way about other magazines too.  I started subscribing to Acoustic Guitar magazine at issue #2 back in 1990.  But a few years ago, I counted up the content in the latest issue.  There were 40 pages with some editorial "content" and 45 pages of advertising.  At one time when they started, the articles were quite in-depth and contained considerable information.  Later the content seemed considerably dumbed down, and a feature article from the cover was maybe 3-6 column-inches.  That is when I quit subscribing.  I guess this old guy aged out of the target demographic and current shorter attention spans.   Now get off my lawn!  [shaking cane]  Back to my cave now.......

Earl, Acoustic Guitar changed management about four years ago, and since then the articles seem to have gotten more robust.

I used to be a writer for them, so terms like "dumbing down" don't particularly appeal to me.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2023, 04:54:29 PM »
My favorite part of W&S was the "Ask Bob" section. For reason that seemed to be the part I gravitated towards. The questions were always pretty interesting as were the answers.

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

SDTaylorman

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2023, 10:19:44 AM »

Earl, Acoustic Guitar changed management about four years ago, and since then the articles seem to have gotten more robust.

I used to be a writer for them, so terms like "dumbing down" don't particularly appeal to me.

I think that was around the time I de-subscribed to Acoustic Guitar as well. The quadrupling of the price and fewer issues released in a year was the breaker for me.

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2023, 11:39:12 AM »

Earl, Acoustic Guitar changed management about four years ago, and since then the articles seem to have gotten more robust.  I used to be a writer for them, so terms like "dumbing down" don't particularly appeal to me.

Dennis, no offense intended, and my apologies.  I always liked your articles.  Since dropping AG magazine about six years ago I have not seen a single issue, so have no idea if / whether they have improved as you say.  They are just off my radar.  My comment was targeted at the "140 character tweet" nature of the last few things that I recall reading.  Not many column-inches, and not much actual content in those few inches, even for things referenced with blurbs on the cover as major feature articles.

I get that magazine publishing is a really tough -- and possibly dying -- business.  I've written for several magazines myself, including professional trade journals and some hobbyist titles (aviation, radio control aircraft, kayaking, shooting).  I took Fretboard Journal for a while, and it IS great - everything that an enthusiast's magazine should be.  But I've drifted away from printed media as my eyesight deteriorates with age.  I simply don't like reading glasses for extended periods.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 11:46:11 AM »
I think that was around the time I de-subscribed to Acoustic Guitar as well. The quadrupling of the price and fewer issues released in a year was the breaker for me.

I can live with fewer issues if it means higher quality content overall.  Even the price is negotiable if there is perceived value.  Example:  Fretboard Journal.  There was a time when you could download two month old issues of AG for free as PDF's if you knew the right codes.  It was an effort to have subscribers get both hard copy and digital versions.  But after a while, even the content obtained for free was not worth the effort and time spent.  At least MY time and effort.  IMHO, YMMV.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2023, 11:49:15 PM »
So long Wood & Steel

Not sure if this was clear or not, and not sure it even matters, but it does matter to me.

When I said I would still "swipe left on this idea", I was indicating a negative, and that negative meant I was still not in favor of a "digital only" subscription.

But will I get one? Probably.
But remember, we already get that in on-line back issues.
And I would still be willing to get a paid sub for paper issues of W&S.

Don
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2023, 03:21:21 PM »
We got that "swipe left" meant not for you, Don.  I will still pass.  The free PDF version is worth the price, IMHO.  No matter how pretty the photos are, I would not pay for something where only half of the content was interesting / worth reading, which was the point of my earlier post.