Author Topic: So long Wood & Steel  (Read 8064 times)

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: So long Wood & Steel
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 06:07:29 PM »

....but with the sentiments here, I wonder if our discussions will suffer.  Just thinking out loud.   ???

As for Susie's second point, it seems like things are pretty quiet around here lately.  The changes as implemented by Taylor Guitars over the last couple of years seem to be alienating many of us, intentionally or not, and that seems to be reflected in reduced forum participation recently.  My dos centavos....
[/quote]
I found it interesting that there are no threads on the “urban ironbark” 500’s that were announced a couple weeks ago. I really like the discussions here but it has been quiet lately. They are selling more guitars than ever so hopefully some of the younger crowd will join us soon.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 07:01:29 PM »
I think that if the recent offerings from Taylor were offending people, this would be the first place they'd be airing their grievances.  This forum has always had peaks and valleys in terms of user numbers.  I don't know -- maybe people are just bored.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2022, 10:49:42 AM »
The "old fogies" comments is on target for me, LOL!  It has been a looong time now since I've succumbed to the "flavor of the month," and it is absolutely true that I've got the guits and gear that speak to me as keepers.  So goes the old media of glossy print and a cup o joe/slosh o bourbon; well, perhaps, those really are the bygone days.  But that is me, and perhaps the mother ship has made a calculated decision that benefits their future.  Such is the cycle.

It really has been rather quiet here around, Earl!  You voiced it, but I was thinking the same some weeks ago.  I do enjoy the discussions, banter, and of course pics of acquisitions.  Perhaps, then, this is the moment where I re-direct my focus: from the Taylor ware of present toward the playing, gigging, overall joy and miscellaneous ramblings of the old-fogie owner!  No sense in my lamenting the loss of x when I can revel in the y and z.  And yes, I am just wondering aloud here and am still under the waking stupor of coffee that is still brewing.

Great comments here, all!  I truly dig this community as your presence and contributions here add so much to the joy of the music.  So with that, I say read on, post on, and rock on!  Oh, and a good Sunday to you all! :)

Edward

Skyman911

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 12:46:07 PM »
As a newcomer to Taylor, I am also very disappointed. This was a big selling point for me. A REAL quality printed magazine. The digital copy just isn't going to work for me. I have four Taylors now. If this is purely a cost thing, I can bet a subscriber system would work and be very popular. I would subscribe.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2022, 11:39:22 PM »
It really has been rather quiet here around, Earl!  You voiced it, but I was thinking the same some weeks ago.  I do enjoy the discussions, banter, and of course pics of acquisitions.  Perhaps, then, this is the moment where I re-direct my focus: from the Taylor ware of present toward the playing, gigging, overall joy and miscellaneous ramblings of the old-fogie owner!

That is a healthy attitude, Edward, and one that I share.  My efforts have shifted from forum participation (both here and elsewhere) into more playing.  Just last Tuesday I acquired a duplicate Rainsong WS-1000 from an elderly friend who cannot play any longer.  It was a favor to him and I now have two identical guitars that are basically my favorites.  I've spent a lot of time with the newer one on my screened-in back porch on these lovely falls days, while the original sits in the living room ready for its turn.  Shade at 75° is a great way to spend 60-90 minutes playing through part of my repertoire.  And the cat likes it too..... 

I find myself in the unusual position of not really needing to acquire any new instruments, and there is little reason to visit a music store these days.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 12:56:45 PM »
Yeah, I hear you on the music stores thing ...I've long stopped visiting them unless I have a specific goal or curiosity. 

The one exception to this is when travelling: I love to see what shops around the country have in store, particularly the used gear.  One interesting shop I stumbled into was in Mexico City with no shortage of really good stuff all over the showroom.  No "deals" to be had, but nice seeing some good ware that I could spend a bit of time with.

BTW, really good point by skyman about a subscriber option!  I wonder if the mothership would entertain such a possibility as I'd pony up for hardcopy if it were available.  (pssst, hey skyman, you a 911 carguy?)

Edward

Skyman911

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2022, 04:25:52 PM »
Yeah, I hear you on the music stores thing ...I've long stopped visiting them unless I have a specific goal or curiosity. 

The one exception to this is when travelling: I love to see what shops around the country have in store, particularly the used gear.  One interesting shop I stumbled into was in Mexico City with no shortage of really good stuff all over the showroom.  No "deals" to be had, but nice seeing some good ware that I could spend a bit of time with.

BTW, really good point by skyman about a subscriber option!  I wonder if the mothership would entertain such a possibility as I'd pony up for hardcopy if it were available.  (pssst, hey skyman, you a 911 carguy?)

Edward

Yeah, 2004 911 Turbo X50. Fun little car.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 10:33:44 PM »
Off Topic:
Ahhh 996 with x50 ...uber nice!  Aircooled guy here.  Enjoy the beastie!

Just for clarity, all, there is both wood and steel in various 911s, lest some think I took this thread off the deep end.  Just sayin! :D

Edward

Skyman911

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2022, 07:00:31 PM »
Since we're off the deep end,

The air cooled cars are the best without a doubt. I also have a 67.5 Datsun 200 Roadster. Probably more fun to drive than the 911.

Rene Asologuitar

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 11:34:58 AM »
It had to happen sooner or later, and that time has come. Just received my last printed copy of Wood & Steel. They announce in the issue they're discontinuing it due to costs and sustainability and to focus on a richer multi-media experience in the digital version they introduced during the pandemic. They say they will continue to refine and innovate the digital version and you can subscribe to it to be notified when it comes out. A sad milestone.

Sad, indeed

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2023, 10:14:59 AM »
I may be the only person here who isn't unhappy about this. Hey, I really get how some people like to have a hard copy in their hands. I just don't happen to be one of those people.

I do 99 percent of all my reading online. My vision is not the greatest, and so I am very appreciative of the ability to enlarge fonts to a comfortable level for me.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years, and I read all my books on Kindle or Apple Books. This works great for me, especially when I travel. So reading Wood and Steel online is just a natural thing for me.

So while my use case may be different than most, I'm perfectly happy with having just the online version which I enjoy reading on my iPad. YMMV, and I do get that.  :)

8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2023, 11:16:30 AM »
Hey Beachbum, I agree.  I do more reading on screens these days, as my aging eyes require it.  (I don't like to use reading glasses if at all possible).  As long as they still produce a PDF version that I can download, I'm OK going purely digital.  I don't bother trying to read the web-based version any more.

The web version is annoying.  I get uncommanded scrolling and pages jump up and down on the screen - a very frustrating reading experience.  That happens on both my Windows desktop and my iPad.  It is possible for programmers and web site builders to get way too clever with the effects.... just because they CAN.  I recall in the days of the first Macintosh computers in the mid 80's how memos at work suddenly came out with eight or nine fonts on the same page, just because it was easy.  It's hard to resist playing with a new toy (or new function), but that settled down after a while.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

SDTaylorman

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2023, 12:17:16 PM »
I may be the only person here who isn't unhappy about this. Hey, I really get how some people like to have a hard copy in their hands. I just don't happen to be one of those people.

I do 99 percent of all my reading online. My vision is not the greatest, and so I am very appreciative of the ability to enlarge fonts to a comfortable level for me.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years, and I read all my books on Kindle or Apple Books. This works great for me, especially when I travel. So reading Wood and Steel online is just a natural thing for me.

So while my use case may be different than most, I'm perfectly happy with having just the online version which I enjoy reading on my iPad. YMMV, and I do get that.  :)

And that's great...for those who like to do that. Now, if they just produced a print version that was ALSO online.....oh wait, they HAD that and eliminated the print completely. Thus all the commentary here.

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2023, 04:14:04 PM »

And that's great...for those who like to do that. Now, if they just produced a print version that was ALSO online.....oh wait, they HAD that and eliminated the print completely. Thus all the commentary here.

Fair point. If most people don't like it, I get it. That's just what I meant by YMMV.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 04:17:53 PM by beachbum205 »
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

SDTaylorman

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »
Not sure why you're posting it twice but yes, definitely a YMMV situation. I guess Taylor is OK with leaving folks like me (and many others on this forum) to just forget about W&S in favor of those who prefer the screen. "Modern world" and all that nonsense said in the name of making more (and/or spending less) money. There's only a few big guitar companies who have the brand loyalty that Taylor does. Sad to see the "new owners" flush that down the toilet by digitalizing (and ONLY digitalizing) W&S.