Author Topic: So long Wood & Steel  (Read 8068 times)

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
So long Wood & Steel
« on: October 12, 2022, 03:09:59 PM »
It had to happen sooner or later, and that time has come. Just received my last printed copy of Wood & Steel. They announce in the issue they're discontinuing it due to costs and sustainability and to focus on a richer multi-media experience in the digital version they introduced during the pandemic. They say they will continue to refine and innovate the digital version and you can subscribe to it to be notified when it comes out. A sad milestone.

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: So long Wood & Steel
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 04:44:04 PM »
We knew it would come eventually.  I'm surprised that hard copy lasted this long.  I mostly enjoyed them, but some issues were getting hard to read (non-guitar content that was rather "preachy").  The crazy uncommanded scrolling of the web version is a real turnoff and makes it hard to read.  I would prefer if they made a PDF version to download, as I have been doing for the past 18 months or so.  At least then the pages turn only when *I* want them to, not when the window thinks it should.

I'll watch for this final printed copy and hang onto it.  Mailed copies seem to take longer to get to Idaho than others here, so maybe in the next three weeks?
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

SDTaylorman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 04:48:25 PM »
Oh well. There goes my Taylor reading material. I refuse to read magazines like that online. I'm no luddite (I do a lot of I.T. work and other high level computing). Nope, not a good way to take in information (studies prove it) and I prefer to have Taylor only know they sent the mag, not when, where and how I'm reading it (highly likely as a digital product). I'm sad as I liked W&S but it's dead to me now.

lwilliams

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 08:45:54 PM »
Yep, mine came today delivering the BAD news.   

I will not be reading it online.   I would be OK to pay a small subscription to continue the "dead tree" version.

Oh well......I will enjoy this one and that will be the end of it.
2022 Martin D-42MD
2022 Gibson Les Paul Std
2021 Taylor 414ce-R Spcl Ed
2020 Martin 000-42
2015 Taylor 914c
2019 Martin 00-28
2017 Gibson SJ-200 Ltd. Ed.
2014 Martin OM-42
2013 Martin D-41
1954 Martin 00-18
1953 Martin 000-18
1950 Martin 000-28
1967 Gibson J-45
1995 Martin HD-28
1978 Yamaha FG-512
2018 Gibson 1959 Les Paul Historic
2019 Fender CS '64 Tele Custom NOS
2021 Fender 75th Ann Comm Strat
2014 Fender 1954 Strat
2003 PRS Hollowbody I
1999 Fender Paisley Tele
1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 09:24:41 PM »
It's a darn shame. I guess it's another casualty of the times we live in. I'm not going to say I won't read some of it digitally, but I will not be able to give it the same attention than the physical version.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 12:32:59 AM »
Agree with all the lament above!   Likewise, I won’t be clicking on either.  The printed format is perfect leisure material and a whole different vibe than net reads.  Another casualty of the times is right!  Yet another fallout of a garbage economy.  Big bummer!

Edward

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 01:43:56 AM »
As a former contributor to the magazine, this makes me sad.  There's nothing like settling back, opening a copy of Wood & Steel, and reading about the world of Taylor guitars.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »
I'm with the general consensus here. I can somewhat understand Taylor's decision to move to completely digital. I won't seek out the Wood & Steel online. I enjoyed sitting down and reading the print copy.....just not the same with a computer or tablet.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

SDTaylorman

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 12:07:10 PM »
One would hope (though this is the UNofficial Taylor Guitar Forum) that someone from Taylor actually sees this thread at some point and reverses this error. There was a lot of customer goodwill with that printed product and a little goodwill goes a long way. Naturally the reverse of that is that when you constantly give someone something they don't ever expect and then take it away there's a level of expectation created upon first receipt that continues to build over time. Of course that is, conversely once again, part of that goodwill I was referring to in the first part of this post.

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 06:44:05 PM »
This is a sure cure for GAS, no more drooling over the latest offering.
:D Danny
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini koa
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini Rosewood
Custom Taylor 412ce 12 fret Ovankol with Koa bindings

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 08:25:51 PM »
This is a sure cure for GAS, no more drooling over the latest offering.
:D Danny

Good point, Danny.  Looking back, much of the GAS I've had for Taylor guitars over the last 25+ years has come from the quarterly issues of W&S.  Almost every issue sent me to my local dealer to test drive something, out of curiosity.  A fair percentage of those times, a guitar followed me home.  Now there will be one less area of temptation.  It was the last guitar-related print media that I received on a recurring basis.

In fairness, I just noticed that the 1st and 3rd issues for the past couple of years are downloadable as a PDF.  While that is really not the same visual and tactile satisfaction as print, at least the format is actually readable unlike the web version.  Look under the "see past issues" tab.  https://woodandsteel.taylorguitars.com/product-spotlight/hands-on-learning/
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 08:36:40 PM »
I just got my final issue, what a sad day. Like many here I really enjoyed checking out the new guitars and reading the articles. I don’t care for the online version. Reading on a tablet or computer is much less likely. Of course, I have already purchased most, if not all of the Taylor’s I am likely to buy and they are likely after a younger buyer.
That said, while I doubt I want one of the new 500’s it will be fun to try one when I see one….
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

jricc

• Working musician, Music Teacher
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 10:43:26 PM »
I'll add my disappointed sentiments too.
I always looked forward to sitting down with a cup of coffee (or glass of wine) and reading the print edition of W&S. 
Another sad sign of the times
Taylor AD22e

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 10:22:21 AM »
An indirect casualty?

I enjoyed the discussion here, after we all received  and read our print copies of W&S. Yes, it's still available  digitally, but with the sentiments here, I wonder if our discussions will suffer. Just thinking out loud.   ???
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 03:34:33 PM »
....Of course, I have already purchased most, if not all of the Taylor’s I am likely to buy and they are likely after a younger buyer....

These posts may have hit the nail on the head.  Us older folks already have our Taylor guitars and have churned through the "flavors of the month" to settle on the keepers.  So they are using the new media to go after younger customers.  Us old fogies who like paper and print may not be all that important to ongoing sales any longer.  We've aged out of the new business model.

....but with the sentiments here, I wonder if our discussions will suffer.  Just thinking out loud.   ???

As for Susie's second point, it seems like things are pretty quiet around here lately.  The changes as implemented by Taylor Guitars over the last couple of years seem to be alienating many of us, intentionally or not, and that seems to be reflected in reduced forum participation recently.  My dos centavos....