Author Topic: 2 piece, or 3 piece back. Is one any better than the other? If so, why?  (Read 1618 times)

TrampsLikeUs

I’m looking at two different k26 all koa models.  One is a 2 piece back.  The other is a 3 piece.  There both beautiful.  Was wondering which would be a better guitar.  Any thoughts?
1985 Washburn D-12CE
2015 Ibanez Artcore AS73-TBC Electric
Washburn WCG66SCE GA Acoustic
Fender Statocaster SRV 1997 artist series
Taylor 856ce 12 string Indian Rosewood
Taylor K-14 2019 KOA Builder Edition
Taylor 2019 GS-Mini Koa  (2)
Taylor PS-18 2015 Tobacco Sunburst Sitka Spruce Top, W/ Brazilian Rosewood back/sides
Taylor GA Custom 2019 Sinker Redwood Top/ Cocobolo back/sides

SDTaylorman

Re: 2 piece, or 3 piece back. Is one any better than the other? If so, why?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 05:34:21 PM »
The better guitar is the one that sounds better. Always.

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 08:17:59 PM »
The better guitar is the one that sounds better. Always.

I second that sentiment.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 12:36:29 AM »
It's an aesthetic thing.  I never liked 3-pc backs, ever.  Don't care how nice the figuring may be, I just cannot wrap my head around the thought that it looks piecemeal.  2-pc backs almost always --actually, always to my memory-- looks like a cohesive, more pleasing build.  For me, it's two piece backs or not at all.  Hey, you asked!  :D

Edward

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »
In an attempt to answer the actual question you asked, the quality of the tone isn't determined by whether the back is two or three pieces.  In fact, I'll go way out on a limb here to speculate that you could gather a group of expert and discerning audiophiles, blindfold them all, and they wouldn't be able to determine which guitar is which.  It's very likely that they will hear a difference, but not due to the amount of panels used to build the back of the guitar.

Buy the guitar that speaks to you, grabs you by the ankle to prevent you from leaving the store without it, and seduces you into taking it home.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

SDTaylorman

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »
In an attempt to answer the actual question you asked, the quality of the tone isn't determined by whether the back is two or three pieces.  In fact, I'll go way out on a limb here to speculate that you could gather a group of expert and discerning audiophiles, blindfold them all, and they wouldn't be able to determine which guitar is which.  It's very likely that they will hear a difference, but not due to the amount of panels used to build the back of the guitar.

Buy the guitar that speaks to you, grabs you by the ankle to prevent you from leaving the store without it, and seduces you into taking it home.

That's exactly what I said but phrased far better than I could ever do. Thanks DennisG!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 02:06:09 PM »
In an attempt to answer the actual question you asked, the quality of the tone isn't determined by whether the back is two or three pieces.

^ This, seconded.  I am agnostic on the number of pieces making up the back (think Martin D-35 versus D-28) and remain firmly convinced it is only visual.  The D-35 has three-piece backs specifically to use up smaller pieces of quality rosewood back in 1969 when converting from Brazilian to Indian rosewood as standard.  The fact that they changed the top bracing at the same time accounts for whatever subtle perceived tonal changes are generally attributed to those two models.  On the Top Twenty list of things potentially affecting guitar tone, the number of pieces used for the back is #27 IMHO - and maybe lower.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Bob Womack

• Now we've got 'em where they want us!
    • The Musician's Room
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
Bob Taylor used to say that a three-piece back would have a tighter bass and a two-piece back would have a looser back.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE  MUSICIAN'S ROOM

SDTaylorman

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 08:52:51 AM »
And yet here's Bob Taylor saying it's "purely cosmetic":

https://blog.taylorguitars.com/ask-bob-three-piece-backs