Author Topic: Humidity Control for Travel Guitar?  (Read 1085 times)

Skyman911

Humidity Control for Travel Guitar?
« on: July 15, 2022, 06:37:37 PM »
I just picked up a couple more Taylor's during the recent Taylor Days Sale. A 314ce, and got the GS Mini in Mahogany for $199. I also just picked up an ABS hard case for travel. I have some Oasis in hole and case humidifiers, some D'Addario humidipacks, and a couple of Dampit type units as well. Any suggestions on which would work best in a travel environment with the GS Mini where it will be moved around a lot, and subject to a lot of other types of movement and environmental changes? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: Humidity Control for Travel Guitar?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 06:52:40 PM »
I travel regularly by air and RV, and I use the humidipak for travel. Had a million plus air miles on my old Mini and working towards that with my 322e using humidipaks in a hard bag. Since I have the Taylorsense in the 322e I am collecting data on humidity and temperature when traveling and it seems to stay good even when traveling to the SW of the US as well as the humid gulf coast and NE regions.
YMMV- but don’t over worry, lots of professionals travel all the time and their guitars do ok. Just the fact that you care enough to make an effort will likely end up getting you to do enough. Enjoy the travels, the guitar makes it so much better.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 10:19:39 AM »
Don't sweat it, skyman!  Travelling and the varying RH isn't going to kill your acoustics.  You're already taking sensible care.  Your guitar that you're travelling with will suffer no ills so long as you just keep it sensible; except having to tune it every now and again, the guit will be fine.  When you get home, whatever regular care you take with regard to RH will bring the guitar back to its normal.

Edward

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 10:28:50 AM »
I would not recommend taking humidipacs it you are taking  your travel guitar as a carryon. They may get confiscated . Mine did during a recent trip to AZ. First time that happened in about four or five trips.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

pickingthru

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 11:23:48 AM »
Don't over think it.  Carry your guitar, play it and enjoy it.
McPherson Sable
Martin 000-16
Former 314ce owner

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 11:29:08 AM »
Your guitar that you're travelling with will suffer no ills so long as you just keep it sensible; except having to tune it every now and again, the guit will be fine.  When you get home, whatever regular care you take with regard to RH will bring the guitar back to its normal.

Edward
I've traveled with a GS mini ever since they were introduced.  I am mindful, but don't overthink it. Edward's advice is precisely  what I do. No problems yet. Enjoy your travel with your guitar.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Skyman911

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 12:44:05 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. My upcoming trip is a bit unique. I'll be rafting the Lower Salmon River in central Idaho. I'll have my guitar and hard case in a dry bag. Temps will fluctuate a bit from 90's in the day down to the high 50's at night.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 04:08:17 PM »
Don't overthink it, Skyman.  If you are tolerably comfortable, the guitar will be be OK too.  If you worry about getting too hot too fast, then wrap the case inside the dry bag with towels or a blanket for thermal insulation.  I've done a lot of kayak and motorcycle camping with a guitar in a big dry bag.

BTW, I use water beads in a perforated soap dish, and don't use Humidi-Paks.  Note that whatever humidity device used will last 3-4X longer in a decently sealed hard case than in a gig bag -- the zipper is quite porous.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby