Author Topic: KOA 700 Series  (Read 2948 times)

ClassicRock

KOA 700 Series
« on: May 27, 2022, 08:19:15 AM »
I thought there would already be a thread on this exciting news but, I didn’t see it.

To me, as a Koa luster, this is a real coup by Taylor.  They had too many RW guitars and apparently, their reforesting activities are paying off in a much greater supply of Koa. To put together these beautiful models at a price point about $2K less than the K series is a stroke of genius. They will sell a boatload of these.

I’ve seen a couple of dealer UTs but the real feedback will be from Taylor players here. So when you get your hands on one, let’s hear about it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 08:22:48 AM by ClassicRock »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: KOA 700 Series
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 11:47:41 AM »
I have owned two koa Taylor guitars, and played many.  I still have the all-koa 424-LTD in my signature.  I consider this exciting news, and would be interested in the 527 myself, if I were not done buying period.  Taylor seems to do a better job with koa than most factory builders, but still I would caution that playing it in person is necessary.  Koa is a highly variable wood.  I have played several high-end Taylor koa guitars that were "meh" especially for the cost, not even beating out my 114ce tonally at nearly 10X the price.

The 714 used to be rosewood/cedar, then eventually became rosewood/spruce.  When they added the 414-R to the line, there were multiple rosewood bodies it confused the selection.  This should be a good move on their part.  I look forward to playing one during my next semi-annual visit to the LGS.  (When you are really done buying, there isn't much reason to walk into a music store across town).
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 03:41:39 PM »
I saw a couple at Wildwood, then got the email. Alamo Music also did a nice video explaining  the 700 series, which now includes the koa GA and GC. They also explained some rational from Andy. I'm thinking it will do them well. If I didn't already have my beloved K24ce, I'd be looking more seriously at them.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 12:21:59 PM »
Taylor's marketing on this new 700 series has been very confusing to me. Seems like there is a standard language Taylor wants used on all of the videos I have seen on these new guitars.

Obviously the concept of "organic" and "unfiltered" is what is being highlighted. Yet I can't seem to understand what that means other than the fact that they are using a thinner finish on the wood compared to the traditional K series.

Also, everybody talks about this being a "different" sound from koa, but nobody seems clear on what the difference IS. And WHY.

I also find it interesting that almost every dealer describes the wood sets as, basically, not as nice as their traditional koa sets that are more figured, and that the new 700 series is a home for the less desirable sets. Obviously this would be a main reason for the price difference compared to the K series, but seems odd that they would outright denote that this is a substandard set of wood they are using.

Anybody else get something different?
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

ClassicRock

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:13:36 AM »
I wouldn’t call it “sub-standard”. Remember, the Koa is graded on appearance only, not sound quality. And while I’m sure there is sound variation from piece to piece, I’m not sure how to predict that unless maybe you tone-tap every piece which isn’t practical for a mass production factory.  By calling this wood “select” they try to make a differentiation from their K Series which is now a $2000 premium. Quite a stretch in my HO.

As to why it sounds different, they talk about different back bracing and the finish, which is a big deal. I owned an early V-braced K24ce which has the 6 mil coating. That is so thick, the guitar seems encased in a protective shell. It looks great but cannot help but inhibit tone. So I like the direction of the 2 mil finish.

Frankly, I also like the look of this guitar. The burst finish, especially on the BE is too dark for my tastes. I also prefer the fretboard markers to the vine motif. As you can tell, I’m not that big on bling.

Taylor’s investment in Hawaiian land and reforestation is now paying big dividends. They were getting more wood than they knew what to do with. They have come to own the Koa wood niche of the guitar market. Expanding their Koa offering in the direction of a much less costly guitar will dramatically increase sales of Koa. Good on Taylor, and BT’s foresight.

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 08:52:04 AM »
I appreciate your response, CR. Just for the record, I was not calling the wood sets used on these substandard; that was the message I was hearing on videos promoting the new line. And, I do think this guitar is quite interesting and I would love to play one. I was just questioning the marketing approach being used to describe this new line.

If you ever get your hands on one, I would love to hear your report.

Happy Memorial Day!
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Preston Thompson O-Koa

ClassicRock

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 11:04:52 AM »
We’ve got a Sam Ash here who is a big supporter of Taylor and has by far the widest selection. I may just wander in there one of these days.

And Happy Memorial Day to you and all as well. My Memorial weekends are never in question as an annual attendee of the Indy 500…..it’s Christmas in May for me!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 11:08:20 AM by ClassicRock »

ClassicRock

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 03:45:39 AM »
Here is AP’s explanation of the wood, bracing, finish etc. “the voicing” as he likes to call it. He repeatedly calls it quarter-sawn.  Skip to 43:30 unless you want to hear about him being appointed President/CEO.  I wonder if the ESOP has any say in how much he’s paid. LOL

https://youtu.be/wckVIgo4ohk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 06:03:38 AM by ClassicRock »

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 09:23:48 AM »
Taylor's marketing on this new 700 series has been very confusing to me. Seems like there is a standard language Taylor wants used on all of the videos I have seen on these new guitars.

Obviously the concept of "organic" and "unfiltered" is what is being highlighted. Yet I can't seem to understand what that means other than the fact that they are using a thinner finish on the wood compared to the traditional K series.

Also, everybody talks about this being a "different" sound from koa, but nobody seems clear on what the difference IS. And WHY.

I also find it interesting that almost every dealer describes the wood sets as, basically, not as nice as their traditional koa sets that are more figured, and that the new 700 series is a home for the less desirable sets. Obviously this would be a main reason for the price difference compared to the K series, but seems odd that they would outright denote that this is a substandard set of wood they are using.

Anybody else get something different?

Yeah, I got something different.  To your point, organic and unfiltered aren't very helpful or descriptive for guitar tone. I would ignore that.

That thinner finish will increase resonance for sure. Thinner is always better tone-wise, but it's a tradeoff with "more susceptible to dings".

As far as “a different sound for Koa”, I personally would agree with that assessment. I mean, as a tip, never listen to a guitar video without using headphones, earbuds, or amplified speakers. But assuming you do that, this koa treatment, which likely mostly comes down to bracing tweaks, to my ears sounds a lot like Rosewood without the midrange dip. And usually everyone talks about koa "opening up" over time, because a lot of koa guitars sound a bit like they have a blanket over them starting out. But these don't sound like that. Pretty interesting - if I were Taylor's marketer, I would say this sounds like an opened up koa guitar.

Calling the wood "Select" just positions it appearance-wise between their higher end koa models and their lower end koa models such as the GS-Mini and Baby models.

My curly figured koa GS-Mini being an exception to the rule.  8)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:30:46 AM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 11:28:02 AM »
Guitarsan, apologize for the delay, and thank you so much for your response. Everything you said makes sense-- perhaps Taylor should hire you to do their marketing!

What a great figuring on that GS mini. I thought I had a pretty nice one until I saw that one.

Had I not already owned a K24ce, I would definitely consider one of these 700 series guitars.
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 10:45:00 PM »
We had reason to stop by my LGS today, and there was a new 724ce on the wall.  It’s koa looked fine, both back and top, with just a bit of light sap wood at the center seam.  Played very nicely and had the crisp voice of a brand new koa guitar.  Some might call it too trebly, but it will mellow and mature over the next couple of years.  The satin finish is nice too, and I’m a fan of satin.  All in all, I call it a winner.  I am not looking at any more new wood guitars - or guitars in general - but as they say in my native Midwest, “a guy could do a lot worse”.   ;)

The store owner said that today was his first time seeing it, and he did not expect it to hang there very long.  In fact if it had gone to the other store an employee there would likely have bought it before it ever saw the sales floor.    I wasn’t so fond of the sticker price, but I have not been looking at new guitars for about two years now.  I am perfectly happy with my 2007 era 424-LTD, but inquiring minds needed to know.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 10:16:39 PM »
I ran across a 724ce yesterday and if I didn’t have the K24ce BE I would be all over it! Fantastic sound, and more balanced than I expected for not being played in. Nice addition to the line, and as Earl said, you could do a lot worse.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 09:56:41 AM »
I ran across a 724ce yesterday and if I didn’t have the K24ce BE I would be all over it! Fantastic sound, and more balanced than I expected for not being played in. Nice addition to the line, and as Earl said, you could do a lot worse.
That sounds great. I'm going to refrain from trying one...I might like it.  ::)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 12:27:58 PM »

Probably the safest bet.  You WILL like it, and it isn't cheap.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 10:29:20 AM »
Better stay away, I actually was wondering if I could sell my BE and get one without spending more. My son, who doesn’t play at all, was with me and requested a song I like to play, but played on that guitar. This just after playing a Yamaha Transacoustic with effects on, and the 724 blew away the Yamaha, just incredible sound even with no effects. My son heard this too, and I would not have guessed he had the ear for it…
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable