Author Topic: What's next?  (Read 2793 times)

dbvirago

• My Words
What's next?
« on: April 16, 2022, 04:35:45 PM »

I have an Academy 10 and an 814. For several reasons, I'm looking for something smaller. There are other factors at play which may determine which one and I plan on spending a lot of time on the choices, but wanted to ask this group.

Strictly looking at fingerstyle playing, would you get the GS Mini, a GT, or a GC?
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: What's next?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 05:23:59 PM »
Since the GC has the largest body of the three, you're likely to get bigger and more nuanced sound out of it.  I've owned all of the choices you mentioned, and a GC is the hands-down winner.  I currently own a GT, but for everything from couch playing to full-on gigging, I'll take a GC every time.  My order of preference would be:

1.  GC
2.  GT
3.  GS mini
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 05:45:08 PM »
What Dennis said about the GC. Try them all, but unless you compare an exceptional Mini vs a rare not so good GC you will like the GC. They are all good, but I really like the responsiveness of my GCā€™s for finger style play.
Enjoy the hunt.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

dbvirago

• My Words
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 05:48:57 PM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, today was like 5m apiece. I'll go back when I have a couple of hours to spend.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 10:58:18 AM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, today was like 5m apiece. I'll go back when I have a couple of hours to spend.

This is wisdom!  Only you can decide, not only your ears, but also your needs.

The GSm is a nice guit ...I bought my daughter one almost a decade ago and it's a superb all-rounder that is perfect for toting around.  That said, it's narrow nut and shorter scale reminds you what it is.  Which, if you're good with that, is perfect! 

The GT was "nice" enough, but IMO doesn't live up to its price tag.  I'd choose the GC all day long as I frankly don't see what niche this guitar fills, and a used GC is the genuine hit in my eyes.  Clearly Taylor sees the GT's market, but I simply don't grasp it.  The GC is marginally larger but more "substantial" IME.  But as all things "tone," every guitar differs, as does every player's intended mission for that guitar. 

Be patient and happy hunting!

Edward

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 03:16:37 PM »
Try an Academy 12.  You are already familiar with the Academy series and its value through your A10.  The A12 gives you the Grand Concert body size and the arm bevel.  After that a 312 and maybe then a GS Mini as a distant third place.  Third place mostly due to the narrow 1-11/16" nut width and short 23.5" scale. 

Like Edward, I cannot fathom what niche the GT targets.  Maybe the GT was a nod to all those who wanted an all-solid wood GS Mini, but then balked at the necessary price.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 05:37:17 PM »

I cannot fathom what niche the GT targets.  Maybe the GT was a nod to all those who wanted an all-solid wood GS Mini, but then balked at the necessary price.

I can fathom it.  From my experience having owned both a mini and a GT-UA, I believe the GT is a far better-sounding guitar and more enjoyable to hold and play.  But, yes, I think it's substantially overpriced.  And I like your suggestion about the A12.  You get the benefit of a GC body, plus an arm bevel, at a great price point.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

dbvirago

• My Words
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 06:23:35 PM »
Yeah the arm bevel on the A10 spoiled me. I actually bought a 714 a year ago, but took it back after a few days and swapped it for the 814.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 06:37:06 PM »

I have an Academy 10 and an 814. For several reasons, I'm looking for something smaller. There are other factors at play which may determine which one and I plan on spending a lot of time on the choices, but wanted to ask this group.

Strictly looking at fingerstyle playing, would you get the GS Mini, a GT, or a GC?
What's your budget? What will the guitar be used for? How does a guitar's tone/volume rank in importance  to you? How much bling do you want? What nut width/scale length to you prefer?
My point....any the choices might be good, but they are notably different. You might get better help from forum members if you give a little more information. Just a thought. :)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ā—‹ K24ce ā—‹ 414 ā—‹ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

dbvirago

• My Words
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 03:06:14 PM »
Good points TG, and those were some of the other factors I mentioned.

Budget: Unlimited, but within the rest of the scope expect it to be less than my 814 (Unless I spring for the 912)

It will be used primarily for practice, which is all I'm doing for the short term anyway. I want something more comfortable so that long sessions don't leave my arm sore.

Tone/Volume may help decide, but if I ever perform, I would expect to bring the 814. Same answer for bling.

Nut probably not smaller than 1-11/16"

Smaller body is what I am aiming for, assume smaller scale will follow, but that is the main thing I will be looking for when I go back to try out. Which one 'feels' best. I've never played above the 12th fret, but do spend some time between 8 and 12.

I've gotten a lot of great feedback so far and will take all into consideration, but spending some time on each will drive the decision.

I just didn't want to miss anything obvious to someone who owns one. Like when I bought a 714, not realizing how much I would miss the beveled edge.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

Rene Asologuitar

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 12:46:34 PM »
For the price of the Mini, especially a used one, this guitar is prime, and very portable!!!
I own two!
Rene

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 11:45:04 PM »
Taking into account everything that's been written over the last week, I would like to put in a couple of cents worth.

I am going to focus on the Grand Concert. I have had one for over 5 years. 412e-R spruce over rosewood x-braced short scale joined at the 14th fret. Almost didn't buy it but I was having some hand issues and decided to go with a short scale for ease of play. I was mostly playing larger bodied and/or standard scale guitars. Even my other Grand Concert was a standard scale.

Not only did it allow me to keep playing and get my fretting hand functioning, after breaking in it became an amazing sounding guitar. And for a small guitar, it projected a very big bass sound too. I am so happy to have it now, as it has become a great guitar in its own right, as well as keeping me up and running when my fretter is on the fritz. As a fingerpicker using my nails as picks, my left fretting hand is the captain of the ship and the right fingers are just following the orders.

The only thing it lacks is the volume of larger guitars, but the tones it makes are without equal. I string it with Elixir PB HD Lights (.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, and .053) and it produces a very balanced sound. A total keeper even if it wasn't the only guitar I can easily play sometimes.

So by all means look into a Grand Concert 'xy2'. It's a wonderful instrument. And the nut is 1+3/4" wide. It's the short scale that makes all the difference as my fingers sometimes get limited a bit in their mobility/reach. I have 4 guitars with a 1+11/16" wide nut, and that hardly means anything nearly as much as the short scale.

Don
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 11:57:50 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 09:51:14 AM »
.....So by all means look into a Grand Concert 'xy2'. It's a wonderful instrument. And the nut is 1+3/4" wide. It's the short scale that makes all the difference as my fingers sometimes get limited a bit in their mobility/reach. I have 4 guitars with a 1+11/16" wide nut, and that hardly means anything nearly as much as the short scale.

^ This.  I can still play all my guitars with full 25.5" scale with no problem, but the reaches are definitely more comfortable for my aging hands on shorter scale instruments.  My current favorite is 24.75" and a 00 / GC size, the one I reach for most often.  (It's a Blackbird Lucky 13).  The GC models standardized on 24.875" (24-7/8") scale length a number of years ago.  While it is possible for me to play 1-11/16" nut width, the 1-3/4" nut width is more comfortable for me and for accurate play.  So that points to a 312 in my mind.  If you can live with the slightly narrower nut width, then an A12 is the ticket.  YMMV as always.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Skyman911

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 12:33:38 PM »
Another possibility would be the Big Baby Taylor. 1 11/16th nut. but a 25.5 scale. The body is slightly smaller and narrower and very comfortable. Almost small enough to be a travel guitar. I was going back and forth between the GS Mini and the BBT. Glad I got the BBT instead. Nothing against the GS Mini, and it was an awesome guitar. The BBT just feels more like a full size guitar. I also have an AD17 purchased a few months ago. For fingerpicking, I do like the 1 3/4 inch nut, and seems to provide a little more room. FWIW.

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 06:30:43 PM »
Good point out!  I keep forgetting about the BBT and the dimensions that you mentioned.  You just don't see them at dealers often these days.  They call it a 15/16 sized dreadnought body, but it feels closer to 3/4 to me.  I too would pick the BBT tonally and scale-wise over the GS Mini just about any time, and we've owned both.