Author Topic: Am I just crazy? (914ce LTD content)  (Read 1591 times)

DimEyeGuitarGuy

Am I just crazy? (914ce LTD content)
« on: March 09, 2022, 10:42:27 AM »
So, as I’ve posted on here, my wife bought me a 914ce LTD w/ Bocote back and sides. I DO still love this guitar… HOWEVER…

I am really REALLY wanting a Grand Pacific 717e. I really dig the more traditional tone (warmer etc) of the 717e.

Here’s the caveat… I can’t afford to have both guitars unfortunately. AND, I’m out of the return window for Guitar Center. So I’ll have to sell the 914 or trade it in with someone on the 717e.

So, I’m asking you much more knowledgeable folks… is this just a crazy idea? Have I lost my mind for even considering such a thing? I know that it’s all subjective… I’d just like to get some of your (more experienced) opinions.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom (DEGG)

2021 Taylor 914CE LTD Bocote

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Am I just crazy? (914ce LTD content)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
They're two different animals so there's a chance that you might miss some aspects of the 914 if you just have the the 717e. I have played the 717e, and it is my favorite rosewood guitar outside of the grand auditoriums. Tough choice. I have moved many guitars out to acquire others. I can honestly say the I have no regrets. But it's almost always better to have both guitars in the house before you move one of them out. Your 914 is a very special and versatile guitar that can handle any playing style, so for me, it would be easy to choose the 914 over the 717. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 12:05:07 PM »
They're two different animals so there's a chance that you might miss some aspects of the 914 if you just have the the 717e. I have played the 717e, and it is my favorite rosewood guitar outside of the grand auditoriums. Tough choice. I have moved many guitars out to acquire others. I can honestly say the I have no regrets. But it's almost always better to have both guitars in the house before you move one of them out. Your 914 is a very special and versatile guitar that can handle any playing style, so for me, it would be easy to choose the 914 over the 717. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

Actually super helpful… and is also a clear reflection of some of my thoughts on the 914 side of this equation. Thanks for taking the time.

Tom
Tom (DEGG)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 12:07:26 PM »
Tom,

Before I'd do anything drastic, I'd first see if I could warm up the tone of that beautiful 914.  You might try another type of strings -- for example, DR Rares, which I've used in the past to warm up some chilly guitars.  If you use a pick, try changing pick material.  Those are two relatively inexpensive ways to try to get the tone you're after.  Good luck.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 12:21:40 PM »
Tom,

Before I'd do anything drastic, I'd first see if I could warm up the tone of that beautiful 914.  You might try another type of strings -- for example, DR Rares, which I've used in the past to warm up some chilly guitars.  If you use a pick, try changing pick material.  Those are two relatively inexpensive ways to try to get the tone you're after.  Good luck.

These are great thoughts/ideas and sage advice. Thank you for posting. I really appreciate it.

Tom
Tom (DEGG)

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 12:42:20 PM »
Tom,

I’m using bluechip picks… maybe I’ll give the DR Rares a try.

Tom
Tom (DEGG)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 12:46:48 PM »
Tom,

I’m using bluechip picks… maybe I’ll give the DR Rares a try.

Tom

I use Blue Chip picks, too.  I don't think you'll find a warmer pick than that.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »
I use Blue Chip picks, too.  I don't think you'll find a warmer pick than that.

I ordered a couple sets of the DR Rares.. I’ll give ‘em a shot. Reviews online are good and say they’re nice and warm. We’ll see :P

Tom
Tom (DEGG)

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »
You would be trading down in cost, of course.  Strings and picks can make a big difference in tone, as noted above.

Have you tried moving your picking hand towards the fretboard? That is FREE,  and also can make a Huge tonal difference.

I like to get as many tones as possible per guitar, so I am used to moving my picking hand, but it is interesting how many folks do NOT.

I would definitely keep the 9

Just me…

Be well and have FUN

Paul

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 06:50:08 PM »
You would be trading down in cost, of course.  Strings and picks can make a big difference in tone, as noted above.

Have you tried moving your picking hand towards the fretboard? That is FREE,  and also can make a Huge tonal difference.

I like to get as many tones as possible per guitar, so I am used to moving my picking hand, but it is interesting how many folks do NOT.

I would definitely keep the 9

Just me…

Be well and have FUN

Paul

Hi there. Thanks for posting.. yes, I try to move my hand around… maybe not as much as I think I do.. I’ll definitely try to be cognizant of that. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Tom
Tom (DEGG)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 09:45:17 PM »
Hey Tom,

Please remember that you did, in fact, ask. 

Yes, you have absolutely lost your mind to even consider this. 

Stop right there.  No diplomatic equivocation from me, sir.  Stop and appreciate the grand instrument you have.  You are, in my estimation, lured by a thought --mere speculation-- than another guitar provides an answer that your present guitar fails to deliver.  Do not get sucked down into this vortex.  I will spare you my cheap psychologizing (or is it too late?) and simply advise that you enjoy the beauty you have now.  Enjoy it now.  Relish in the abundance that a 914 offers in all its glory.  And ultimately, relish it even more knowing how it got to you in the first place.  Do not lose sight of genuine value, man.  Seriously.  And remember, you asked!

Side note: I do hope you've not verbalized this insanity beyond this forum.  If not, consider yourself lucky that you have dodged that bullet.  Now go and do the right thing.  Yes, seriously!

Edward
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 09:49:10 PM by Edward »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 07:09:48 AM »
I agree with Edward. You should slow down, don't shop around, and play and enjoy the beautiful  guitar your wife got you. She did well in choosing. It is a guitar that will be able to handle most of what you throw at it. The GA's are known for it (like SF said). The others beat me to the punch in suggesting experimenting  with different strings. That would be my first step. You may not be crazy yet, but if you sold the 914 at this point, I think I would call you crazy.  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 08:05:55 AM »
Hey Tom,

Please remember that you did, in fact, ask. 

Yes, you have absolutely lost your mind to even consider this. 

Stop right there.  No diplomatic equivocation from me, sir.  Stop and appreciate the grand instrument you have.  You are, in my estimation, lured by a thought --mere speculation-- than another guitar provides an answer that your present guitar fails to deliver.  Do not get sucked down into this vortex.  I will spare you my cheap psychologizing (or is it too late?) and simply advise that you enjoy the beauty you have now.  Enjoy it now.  Relish in the abundance that a 914 offers in all its glory.  And ultimately, relish it even more knowing how it got to you in the first place.  Do not lose sight of genuine value, man.  Seriously.  And remember, you asked!

Side note: I do hope you've not verbalized this insanity beyond this forum.  If not, consider yourself lucky that you have dodged that bullet.  Now go and do the right thing.  Yes, seriously!

Edward

I DID ask didn’t I?  8)
No, I haven’t posted this anywhere else… I figured the folks here would have the strongest opinions on two Taylors.
I appreciate your candor. It is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted. The 914 is still sitting here and is not for sale. I’m currently just gonna try a few different sets of strings… experiment with some technique.

Do NOT get me wrong… I love this guitar. But you are right, the THOUGHT that I might love another guitar more is probably fueling this IDEA.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
Tom (DEGG)

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 08:07:34 AM »
I agree with Edward. You should slow down, don't shop around, and play and enjoy the beautiful  guitar your wife got you. She did well in choosing. It is a guitar that will be able to handle most of what you throw at it. The GA's are known for it (like SF said). The others beat me to the punch in suggesting experimenting  with different strings. That would be my first step. You may not be crazy yet, but if you sold the 914 at this point, I think I would call you crazy.  ;)

HAHA!! Well, then I guess I’m not crazy yet :) I definitely am slowing down. I appreciate all the advice/guidance folks have offered so far. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, TaylorGirl.
Tom (DEGG)

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 10:09:23 AM »
My thoughts are based on the fact that, on March 7, you posted that you LOVE the 914. Then on March 9, you posted about considering selling it to buy another Taylor. Correct me if I am wrong, though!

That being said, this is likely a classic case of what fuels GAS for a lot of folks: The adrenaline of receiving a new guitar is palpable. Especially one as special as the one your wife bought you. As with most, the dopamine levels start to decline after a few days, and you subconsciously seek that out, thus considering another new guitar which, you can convince yourself, is going to be better. That is what I think is going on here.

And I have been there many times. As have many of us.

Of course, I could be wrong. The 717 may be better for you. But I highly doubt it. You would get that guitar, be thrilled with it, and after a few days may likely be be right back to the search.

The Grand Pacifics are wonderful guitars. I own a 517 in mahogany. But it will not be better than what you have, in no small part because your wife purchased that for you. So if you can't afford both, keep the 914. It's all you need, even without the initial dopamine rush.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa