Author Topic: Taylor Botched the Repair on my Guitar  (Read 2636 times)

Taylor339

Taylor Botched the Repair on my Guitar
« on: February 09, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »
Some might remember my post right before Christmas where I had a couple of finish issues on my 214ce-K Dlx and sent it to the repair center for warranty work.  The only solution was to strip and respray the back and sides which was approved under warranty.  This evening I got a call from Taylor telling my in the process of stripping the finish, the laminate was damaged beyond repair and they will be replacing the entire body with a new one.  I suppose this could be a blessing in disguise in that I will basically be getting a new guitar.  However, I explained that I had hand selected this guitar from several others of the same model and chose it because I particularly liked the figuring on the back and sides.  I asked if I would have any say on the new body and the answer was not very reassuring which is disappointing.  I might get some pictures but I’m not counting on it. 

The estimated return date was mid February so I was expecting this call to tell me the guitar was being shipped back to me.  I was a bit taken aback and failed to ask a few questions.  The biggest one and I’m hoping someone here will know the answer.  Will this guitar get a new serial number?  If not, do they somehow “save” the label on the old body and re apply it to the new body or do they print a new one? 

I’m sure I’ll think of something else but I’m still a bit stunned.
2016/2022 Custom 214ce-K DLX
2008 Gibson Custom Shop ES-339

otis66

Re: Taylor Botched the Repair on my Guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »
There is be no way to guarantee that you guitar will sound the same after a refinish.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 06:12:52 AM »
Taylor customer service has a great track record. After you told them your concerns about getting a new body with nice figuring, they may still try hard to make it so. On the serial number, I'm guessing it will be new/current.  I'm hoping you'll be pleasantly surprised and very happy in the end. Let us know.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 07:21:13 PM »
I know I'll be waiting for "the rest of the story".
How many remember that statement. If you do....your old like me.

Taylor339

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 09:33:42 PM »

“Good day.”

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 06:13:37 AM »
"Hello Americans, I'm...."  ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 06:15:46 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 01:21:19 PM »

That was the best!  Miss him!
And "old"???  ...I resemble that remark!

Edward

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 09:03:35 PM »
God I'm sooooo glad I'm not alone. Thanks everyone.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 02:35:01 PM »
In 2011 I bought a new Taylor 814ce. A few years later, I was playing while sitting on my sofa and watching TV. The TV remote accidentally slid off a cushion into the top of my guitar. It put a very small ding in it that I tried unsuccessfully to rub out. More on this coming...

About 4 years ago, while cleaning the guitar, I noticed some bubbling in the finish on the back. I called Taylor service about it and they asked me to send some photos, which I did. They contacted me and told me that the repair was covered under the warranty. I send the guitar to them, at my expense, and they called me when they received and inspected it to tell me about how long it would take. I asked them if they could repair the little ding on the top. They gave me a price that to me wasn't worth it. It took about 6 weeks to get my guitar back. They wanted me to pay for the shipping, but I balked because it was very expensive for me to ship it from Atlanta to California, so they agreed to pay for the shipping. When I go my guitar back, much to my delight, the repair was perfect, and they repaired the ding on the top.

That being my only experience with Taylor's repair service, I can only say that it was a great experience. I hope I never have to repeat it, but if I had to, I'd be confident in the repair.

I'm anxious to learn the outcome of your story...
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Taylor339

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 08:49:59 AM »
Three months since Taylor received my guitar.  How long should it take to get a body from the Tecate factory, bolt my neck on and install the Expression System?  I feel bad for the person answering the customer service line this morning.  And I’m darn sure not paying the shipping cost back to me.  Rant over.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 09:33:45 AM »
This evening I got a call from Taylor telling my in the process of stripping the finish, the laminate was damaged beyond repair and they will be replacing the entire body with a new one......The estimated return date was mid February so I was expecting this call to tell me the guitar was being shipped back to me.

The laminate surface layer is only about 1/40" thick, roughly the same as copier paper, so it is really easy to break through it when doing anything.  People have burned through the UV coat and sometimes the outer laminate just trying to buff out a satin finish to a semi-gloss.  It is unfortunate that problems happened while they were trying to refinish your guitar, but they will make it right for you. 

Today is the last day of February, so your guitar is actually less than three weeks past the last contact.  Replacement of the body was based on the presumed availability of parts and labor.  Perhaps they are trying to honor your request for "special" figuring and are looking for the right body to use, or building one from scratch.  It would be nice if there was more communication with you, but have some faith and patience.  Check in for sure, but be calm about it.  (That's really easy for me to say, with my guitars safely in hand).  I'm pretty sure than any other manufacturer would not have gone this far for you.  Good luck!
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Taylor339

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 09:48:11 AM »
This evening I got a call from Taylor telling my in the process of stripping the finish, the laminate was damaged beyond repair and they will be replacing the entire body with a new one......The estimated return date was mid February so I was expecting this call to tell me the guitar was being shipped back to me.

The laminate surface layer is only about 1/40" thick, roughly the same as copier paper, so it is really easy to break through it when doing anything.  People have burned through the UV coat and sometimes the outer laminate just trying to buff out a satin finish to a semi-gloss.  It is unfortunate that problems happened while they were trying to refinish your guitar, but they will make it right for you. 

Today is the last day of February, so your guitar is actually less than three weeks past the last contact.  Replacement of the body was based on the presumed availability of parts and labor.  Perhaps they are trying to honor your request for "special" figuring and are looking for the right body to use, or building one from scratch.  It would be nice if there was more communication with you, but have some faith and patience.  Check in for sure, but be calm about it.  (That's really easy for me to say, with my guitars safely in hand).  I'm pretty sure than any other manufacturer would not have gone this far for you.  Good luck!

The guy in the repair department that called a couple of weeks ago did say sometimes this happens when trying to do a finish repair on laminate.  In the end I know they will make it right.  Thank you for your comment.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2022, 11:04:16 AM »
Three months since Taylor received my guitar.  How long should it take to get a body from the Tecate factory, bolt my neck on and install the Expression System?  I feel bad for the person answering the customer service line this morning.  And I’m darn sure not paying the shipping cost back to me.  Rant over.
I've had to deal with Taylor Custom Service on a couple occasions and played the waiting game. I was extremely happy in the end both times. I know the wait is difficult and frustrating, but try to hang in there. Wishing you a happy ending too.  ;)
Susie

Taylor339

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 06:41:09 PM »
http://So I got an email from Taylor today with photos of the body of my “new” guitar.  The guitar will retain the original serial number of the 2016 I sent for repair.  Sometime after 2016 the rosette on the 200 series was changed from three ring to the single Italian Acrylic ring.  The headstock overlay on the 200 series guitars is now ebony and the tuners are gold.  The neck from my 2016 is being used on the new body which has  a mahogany headstock overlay and chrome tuners.  I sent the guitar in with ebony and abalone bridge pins and those will be installed.  I suppose you can say I’m getting a one off custom built 2016/2022 214ce-K DLX.  I must say I’m very pleased with the figuring and pattern on the back and sides.  It’s quite different from what I sent in and after seeing it in person, I believe I will like it more.  It should be built and shipped next week.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:00:49 PM by Taylor339 »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 06:59:55 PM »
Taylor customer service has a great track record. After you told them your concerns about getting a new body with nice figuring, they may still try hard to make it so.
That's great news and it looks wonderful. Like I said, Taylor C.S. has a great track record and they try hard to make it right. Appreciate the update.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:46:31 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie