Author Topic: Third times the charm...  (Read 672 times)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Third times the charm...
« on: January 14, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »
Several years ago I purchased a Taylor 524 First Edition from Shoreline Music in Durango, CO. It was an amazing guitar in every respect, but I foolishly sold it. However, I had the opportunity to repurchase it a year or so later and did so. Then I got into my carbon fiber guitar phase and sold all of my wooden guitars, including the 524 FE. Late in life I accepted that I was prone to make some bad decisions and also accepted that it was ok to accept do-overs. Long story short, I just purchased "my" 524 for the third time. Turns out that this guitar was still in exceptional condition, and played/sounded/looked as good as when I first acquired it from Shoreline. I had installed the fancy GOTOH tuners, and there were not many of these made in the non-cutaway configuration so it was easy to identify. Amazingly, the First Edition strap, certificate, and booklet were still part of the package.

Interestingly, not only was I not looking to repurchase this guitar, I was not looking for it. A fellow AGF member happened to mention it in a thread, but for various reasons was not going to purchasing it. One of the reasons was that it appeared that the shop that was advertising it had already sold it. Before I knew that but after learning that the other guy wasn't interested, I wrote to the shop. I don't know if it hadn't really sold or what, but it turned out to be available. I shared this with the other fellow, but he was still not interested so I snapped it up. What a terrific guitar, and I'm so glad to have it back.

https://reverb.com/item/28953114-2013-taylor-524-first-edition
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:03:49 AM by jrporter »

DenverSteve

Re: Third times the charm...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:01:04 AM »
Wow. I've heard people looking for long-sold guitars, cars.... but rarely finding them.  That you did it twice is against the odds but, three times...??? That's crazy talk.  Congratulations on finding it to your satisfaction again...er.... still.  Now, place a sticker on the case that says - DO NOT SELL.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:15:00 AM »
That's cool. You'd better hang on to it now, don't let it go!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 02:09:36 PM »
Wow. I've heard people looking for long-sold guitars, cars.... but rarely finding them.  That you did it twice is against the odds but, three times...??? That's crazy talk.  Congratulations on finding it to your satisfaction again...er.... still.  Now, place a sticker on the case that says - DO NOT SELL.

Great idea about the sticker; but to be clear, I wasn't looking for this guitar this time. The first time I bought it was when it was new....

You'd better hang on to it now, don't let it go!

Also a great idea...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:11:50 PM by jrporter »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:08:46 PM »
Great story, great guitar and a great reunion - Congrats - again!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 08:26:02 PM »
While I like my CF guitars, of which I have had four and still have 2, I have decided not to go all in as I love the sound of some of my wood guitars. I am so happy for you to be reunited with this guitar, again! That is awesome, and indicative that it always belonged to you. Enjoy, and hang on to it this time.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable