Author Topic: TonRite 3G on new v old Taylors  (Read 1596 times)

FELIX6786

TonRite 3G on new v old Taylors
« on: November 19, 2021, 07:14:27 PM »
Guys I have read many reviews.....I want to read yours THANKS
Taylor K22-1988
Taylor 814-L7 2004
Taylor 855-CE-L7-2004
Taylor 12-Fret BTO 2015
Taylor 812E-2020
Taylor 812CE 12-FRET 2020
Taylor ACADEMY 12E

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: TonRite 3G on new v old Taylors
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 11:33:05 AM »
Hey Felix
You got some good responses on the “guitar opening up” thread, sir.  No review is truly going to sway you without your own preconceived ideas first tipping you that way in the first place.  Since you’re asking for feedback, may I suggest that you play the guit and enjoy the journey, friend.  Seriously!  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:35:37 AM by Edward »

FELIX6786

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 05:45:19 AM »
Well Said. Thanks
Taylor K22-1988
Taylor 814-L7 2004
Taylor 855-CE-L7-2004
Taylor 12-Fret BTO 2015
Taylor 812E-2020
Taylor ACADEMY 12E

wisedennis

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 08:47:28 AM »
It would open up the tune of the brand new Taylor at least just a bit.

I have tried Tonerite on some brand new guitars and it worked pretty well..

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 09:55:21 PM »
I have “tone-rited” dozens of nice guitars.  Almost all sounded better to me after a couple weeks of vibing.

None ever sounded any worse, and a few sounded MUCH improved.

YMMV…..    :)

Meanwhile, play it a LOT.  Hahaha

Paul

Gabrielobrien

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:15:54 AM »
Tonerites are snake oil. Guitars open up because the sugars inside the wood cure over time. It has nothing to do with vibrations. In fact, Bob Taylor in an issue of Wood&Steel once talked about having tested guitars that were unplayed vs played and how they open up over time and there was no difference. I asked Andy Powers about Tonerites vs a process like torrefaction and here’s what he said:

“Hi Gabe, These are both good questions, with fairly long answers, as well as further discovery still to be made.  There is an interesting connection between a vibrating guitar "aging" as well as heat treating having an aging effect.  In simplified terms, these two processes have somewhat opposite effects, judging by the intention of each technique.  Torrefaction is a high heat treatment which tries to improve the resonance characteristics of a piece of wood by subtly increasing wood strength proportionate to its weight.  Vibrating a piece of wood to improve its resonance characteristics is trying to make the wood more flexible and therefore be set in motion more easily.  Both processes can achieve these results to a degree, both happen simultaneously, and neither are exact substitutions for what happens to a guitar naturally. 

It's helpful to understand what we want from a guitar.  As a player, I want the pleasing, accurate, musical vibrations which allow me to play songs.  At the same time, I want to reject or remove the non-musical sounds which might interfere with this music.  More of the good musical sound is good, less of the bad, inharmonic sound is also good.  More of everything isn't necessarily better.     

Torrefaction can make a piece of wood more resonant, but this translates to more able to resonate with the good harmonic sound, as well as the undesirable inharmonic sound.  As an experiment, we tried some heavily torrefacted wood-far beyond what I'd build a guitar with.  While the guitars were loud, they had so much inharmonic distortion, they were impossible to tune to accurate pitch, and had an harsh, brash sound-very unpleasant to listen to.  The heat treating process we use on some of our tops  will alter the wood's resonance a little, but retains more of the natural oxidation which would occur over a long period of time.  With this, we experience a level of dimensional stability that serves a player and the instrument well, but allows for a more musically pleasing guitar.  It seems to do a better job aligning with what occurs over time at room or stage temperatures.  You might find it interesting to know we actually use a heat treating step on every single one of our tops, and have for more than 25 years now.  Improved dimensional stability is achieved at far lower temperatures than is required to change the color of a top and we like consistent, stable guitars.  So what appear to be raw spruce tops on everything from a baby Taylor to a presentation series guitar has actually been seasoned using a heat treatment.     

Vibrating a guitar in a way inconsistent with how a guitar is played will certainly "loosen it up" to use a common term, but doesn't do it in the exact same way as a guitar which develops a preference for playing the notes originating from its fingerboard.

To use another analogy; if we started with a fresh and crisp dollar bill, then got it wet, then dried it in the sun, it turns into a crackly, crisp piece of paper.  Then, if you crumple it, fold it, bend it, rumple it, over and over, it slowly takes on the texture of a limp piece of cloth.  That's similar to these two processes.

Considering the longevity of the guitar, if the heat treating process isn't carefully controlled, you can certainly shorten the wood's functional lifespan.  If done well, other aspects of the guitar, like the neck angle, will surely become a problem far before the top's structural characteristics become a chief concern.

-Andy”

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 07:22:50 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on that. If it even does anything, you only use it until the guitar "breaks in." Then what do you do with it? When I bought my 814ce in 2011, I just played it, and played, and played it. Still do. It didn't take long for it to settle in.

Enjoy your new Taylor!
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

vjp

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 09:59:44 AM »
Guys I have read many reviews.....I want to read yours THANKS

I bought a Tonerite 3G recently and used it on a Martin D-JR as instructed. I was not impressed in my case, it messed the set up of my guitar up to the point where I took it to the shop for an adjustment. Personally, I would never put that thing on one of my more thought of guitars.

FELIX6786

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 02:53:56 PM »
crap how it happened?
Taylor K22-1988
Taylor 814-L7 2004
Taylor 855-CE-L7-2004
Taylor 12-Fret BTO 2015
Taylor 812E-2020
Taylor ACADEMY 12E

vjp

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 09:06:14 PM »
crap how it happened?

I don’t know what happened but the vibration must have moved the neck and caused it to bow pretty bad. I got the tech to adjust it but I don’t think my guitar is set up as good as it was before the Tonerite. I have since gotten rid of the Tonerite and will never use one on any of my guitars again.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
Just let it happen naturally. That's all.

Besides a bunch of Taylors, I have a rosewood Gibson J-200 that I bought new in 1985. It has aged gracefully and now boasts a lovely patina on the top to go with its boss sound.

Instead of a 'bunch' of Taylors, I need something different in the 'gaggle' of geese vein.

Maybe something like a 'Tonality' of Taylors.

Or even a 'Terpsichore' of Taylors, keeping the alliteration. Muse of poetry and dance.

Too bad the muse of music, 'Euterpe' is not alliterative with Taylor.

Actually multiple words using the same vowel sounds is called 'assonance', but I digress.

Btw, pronounce the final syllable of each of the muses like '-ree' / '-pee' in English, or '-pay' in the original Greek.

Don

« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 12:30:40 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo