Author Topic: GS Mini Bass Problems  (Read 671 times)

William L

GS Mini Bass Problems
« on: November 02, 2021, 11:00:49 PM »
I bought a new GS Mini Bass last week from GC and it came in with a cracked neck at the headstock. Returned it and ordered another one. It arrived today and the open A string has an awful buzz. I shoved a folded up piece of paper under the string at the nut and it was better but not completely gone. This ones is going back also. I give up. Not the quality control I would expect from Taylor. I have 2 other Taylor guitars that I love  and they're fine.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: GS Mini Bass Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 02:41:18 PM »
William, a cracked head stock is more likely a shipping problem.  They use a scarf joint like all other Taylor guitars, and that glued joint is actually stronger than the surrounding wood.  The other issue sounds like a marginal/poor setup, which can be placed on Taylor's shoulders - unless a prior owner (returned test drive) or GC modified the nut before it got to you.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: GS Mini Bass Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
Hey William, welcome to the forum!

I agree with Earl 100%. 

1. There is no issue that I've ever heard --ever-- of Taylor headstock breaks.  Look up Gibson et.al. and you'll see differently.  That is straight-up a shipping malady for guit #1. 

2.  No one ever knows how long guitars have been in a given GC, let alone how they were stored.  The nicer GCs have a humidity-controlled room for acoustics, but who knows about this store, or even whether the bass was in a room or sitting in the warehouse drying out for who knows how long.  Add to this unknown the winter season where relative humidity is near nil, again potentially adding to the buzz.  My point is the same as Earl's: it's a setup thing.  And likely easily remedied.  Call the factory and they can refer you to an authorized tech who will address the setup, gratis. 

Edward