Author Topic: Carbon fiber guitars  (Read 1733 times)

Hobatz

Carbon fiber guitars
« on: May 03, 2021, 10:18:47 PM »
Anyone here have any first hand experience with a carbon fiber guitar? I have a handful of high-end Taylors and hate to take any of them on road trips. Mostly curious about the carbon offerings from Emerald and Kloss. Thanks in advance for any info.

cc7

• The Elderly Brothers of Chicagoland on YouTube
Re: Carbon fiber guitars
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 08:57:38 AM »
I have a Rainsong hybrid...those mix glass fiber with carbon fiber. It is supposedly a more “woody” sound and a little lesss expensive. It sounds wonderful, though my Martins sound better. I have no worries about this guitar. Playability is great.
Emeralds are beautiful and expensive. I would take care with Klos to get the newer type with the all carbon construction, because the design with the wooden neck, in my opinion, takes away some of the appeal.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:37:21 AM by cc7 »

Hobatz

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
Appreciate the input.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
Hobatz, I'm a big carbon fiber guy these days.  Over the years, I have owned ten Taylor guitars (see my signature) but I am down to just one koa example now.  There are a bunch of CF guitars in the house at the moment:
- Emerald X20, custom X20-12, X30, X7 koa woody veneer
- Rainsong WS-1000, PMJ-1000
- Composite Acoustics - Cargo
- Blackbird Lucky 13 (CF) and Farallon ukulele (ekoa linen fabric)

These are the ones that I own, but I have played various models from other brands too.  I have played the rather nice Klos ukuleles, but never seen their guitars in person.  If the house were on fire - assuming that my wife and the cats were safe - I would grab the Emerald X20 first, then the Rainsong WS-1000 if there was time.  I will be thinning the herd slightly over the next couple of years having now honed in on exactly what works best for me.

My CF journey started 20 years ago when living in Alaska.  It was a real burden to humidify fine wooden instruments, so I bought a Rainsong WS-1000.  That was the only instrument that could stay out handy for quick play, and was also great for travelling around the state.  It is still one of my favorite guitars.  Rainsong rode on many trips in my Cessna and many thousands of road miles strapped across the back of my Honda Gold Wing.  It also happens to be my single best sounding stage guitar when played at festivals.

As we say on another forum that has a dedicated carbon fiber room, "come for the durability, stay for the tone".  Yes, the tone of carbon fiber is different -- not necessarily better or worse -- but every wood combination is different from every other one too.  Each builder has their own tone profile, generally.  Note that CF is an expensive and very tricky material to work with.  The cost of raw materials is actually higher than all but the fanciest wood guitars like koa or BRW, and there is every bit as much labor involved as building any Taylor.  So you won't find a decent $500 CF guitar anywhere, and even used they are rarely less than $1500.  CF guitars are not 3D printed and don't pop out of an injection molding machine somewhere every 60 seconds.  They are NOT cheap polystyrene plastic toys, as some think.

Let me know if I can help further.

Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Hobatz

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 01:04:32 PM »
Thanks, Earl! I couldn’t have had a better sketch of carbon fiber instruments.