Author Topic: NMD Big Muddy Mandolin  (Read 1444 times)

cc7

• The Elderly Brothers of Chicagoland on YouTube
NMD Big Muddy Mandolin
« on: April 08, 2021, 02:58:47 PM »
Missouri’s Big Muddy Mandolin Co. model MWO in Primitive Finish
Spruce over native Walnut, hickory fretboard. I went with the wide fretboard option.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: NMD Big Muddy Mandolin
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:42:47 PM »
Nice!  I've dabbled with mando from time to time - can even play 5-6 chords.  But given my sausage fingers I'd have to go with the wide fret board too.  Or an octave mandolin.  I play ukulele too, but the tiny mandolin necks just plumb evade me......
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 07:38:33 PM »
I played mando for a few years, but ended up settling into concentrating on a few other instrument types for the rest of my music "career". That looks like a nice choice, enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:41:14 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

PaulWood

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 07:46:50 AM »
That's really interesting to me, as I recently bought a used mando - just out of curiosity. This came about because I've been listening (virtually non-stop!) to the Guy Clark tribute album 'This One's For Him' and noticed a good sprinkling of mando playing on several of the tracks. I picked up a used Epiphone quite cheaply on eBay and have been enjoying working out chord shapes and learning the odd solo ('Amazing Grace' being a beginner's favourite). I was surprised to find how difficult it is to make my fingers fit into position and was wondering whether wider necks were available. I've not yet reached the stage where I want to go 'full throttle' on mandolin (and may not) but it's good to know that wider necks are available. I'll check the website to see what sizes are offered. Many thanks for the info.