Author Topic: High School Baseball  (Read 1229 times)

TrampsLikeUs

High School Baseball
« on: April 02, 2021, 08:59:04 AM »
After A home run is hit, the batter shows off.  The same batters next at bat, the opposing coach instructs his pitcher to throw at the HR hitting batter.  Now my question, ... Is this an acceptable practice in high school baseball?  How would you feel if it was your son that gets hit?  Just for your information,  the pitcher chose not to do it.  Here's how I feel.  I think it's totally unacceptable!!!  How would a coach,  or the pitcher feel, if after the dirty deed, the batter was seriously injured?  How would  parents, AD's, players, school administrators ( you get the idea) etc. react if word got out? 
1985 Washburn D-12CE
2015 Ibanez Artcore AS73-TBC Electric
Washburn WCG66SCE GA Acoustic
Fender Statocaster SRV 1997 artist series
Taylor 856ce 12 string Indian Rosewood
Taylor K-14 2019 KOA Builder Edition
Taylor 2019 GS-Mini Koa  (2)
Taylor PS-18 2015 Tobacco Sunburst Sitka Spruce Top, W/ Brazilian Rosewood back/sides
Taylor GA Custom 2019 Sinker Redwood Top/ Cocobolo back/sides

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: High School Baseball
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
Short answer to your question of whether it's appropriate at the high school level:  no.  Long answer:

As a life-long baseball fan, and someone who's played the sport for many years (including at the high school level), my take is there's too much showboating and not enough sportsmanship in all sports -- and at every level.  That all being said, there have always been certain unwritten 'codes of conduct' in baseball; one is that you don't show up the opposing pitcher if you homer off of him.

Frankly, it's kind-of hard to blame kids at the high school level for showboating when the professional levels have been increasingly doing it for years now.  Look at old footage of power hitters from the 70's and before; when they hit a home run they just trotted around the bases and his team congratulated him at the dugout.  There are exceptions of understandable displays of jubilance (in chronological order):  Bobby Thompson, Bill Mazeroski, Carlton Fisk, Joe Carter; there are probably others I'm not remembering at the moment...  But even Kurt Gibson was such a professional that he barely expressed any jubilance as he rounded the bases following his dramatic walk-off home run in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series.  But these days, routine home runs are exclamated by bat flips, batters who linger in the batter's box to admire their accomplishment, etc.  I'm more and more reminded of this scene from the movie Bull Durham...

Which brings me to your other question ("How would you feel if it was your son that gets hit?"):  Frankly, my son wouldn't be showboating in the first place; but if he did so inappropriately, I would recognize that he violated the 'code' and accept the consequences so long as no one is seriously injured.  Frankly, it's to the pitcher's credit that he chose not to throw at the batter, even after being encouraged to do so by his coach.  If anyone's to blame in this instance it's both coaches:  one for encouraging a retaliation at the high school level, and the other for not publicly admonishing his batter for showing up an opposing pitcher at any level.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:47:09 AM »
It's sad but emblematic of American culture these days. Many people have become more selfish and vengeful at the slightest perceived slight to their own self-importance. Baseball is an excellent analogy of what it means to be a team player who abides by the rules of decent behavior. Time to get back to basics. It's not about the individual but instead it's about how we treat one another. Sorry to vent.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 02:33:59 PM »
My answer, NO. H.S. or at any level.

Just a little background on me..... I am a woman (and some might not feel I "know" about sports) who grew up playing softball, basketball, volleyball, swimming....all on competitive teams. So, I know the behavior you speak of would be totally unacceptable. The "hitting the batter" giving them a walk wasn't meant to be an intended event, but an unintended event. My question, why not just walk the batter (4 balls). Don't they do that anymore?

There's many things I feel sad about in today's youth sports in the U.S. :(
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »
... My question, why not just walk the batter (4 balls). Don't they do that anymore...?

Yes, intentional walks are still used.  But in the situation described by the OP, intentionally hitting the batter with the pitch is meant to send a message about his unacceptable celebratory behavior, whereas intentional walks are strategic in nature (e.g., it's more advantageous to walk a batter to set up a force play or get a better match-up for a pitcher).
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 05:27:07 PM »
... My question, why not just walk the batter (4 balls). Don't they do that anymore...?

Yes, intentional walks are still used.  But in the situation described by the OP, intentionally hitting the batter with the pitch is meant to send a message about his unacceptable celebratory behavior, whereas intentional walks are strategic in nature (e.g., it's more advantageous to walk a batter to set up a force play or get a better match-up for a pitcher).
Yes, I understand that totally. No explanation needed for me, but thank you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:41:47 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!