Author Topic: Taylor 114e - lovely wolf notes!  (Read 444 times)

Jimi182

Taylor 114e - lovely wolf notes!
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »
Good Afternoon everyone.

This is my first post.  I have owned a Taylor 114e from April 2015.  I didn't really play it much until the past few months, but do recall it had a wolf note on the A string when fretting 'F' on the 8th fret, or on the 13th fret of the E string.

In general, I always thought the E, A and D strings sound duller than the G,B and e (yes, this can be because they are wound) but they also felt 'tighter' than I thought they should.

I did some research and had a tech add a bone saddle and also use brass pins on the E, A and D strings.  This helped a bit.

Also, I added a Planet Waves sound hole cover - this did remove the wolf note - but it created one on the A string at the 7th fret, and 12th fret of the E string.

This morning a Fender Fat Finger arrived and I've fitted it at the headstock - this seems to have removed about 80% of the wolf note from the guitar and removed the 'tight' feel from the E,A and D strings - but I don't think anything will every fully remove the wolf note.

Next time I go to buy an acoustic, I will make sure every fretted note rings out clearly before buying - I did not do this first time around and totally regret it.

Overall, the 114e is a great guitar.  I come from the electric guitar world and play a lot of lead - I like the sound off the 114e and will keep it.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks,

Jimi182

Ohio Tom

Re: Taylor 114e - lovely wolf notes!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 03:05:34 PM »
What is a "wolf" note?

Edit: I looked it up.. Nevermind...

Interesting.

Maybe on a Dred around the G on the B string. I hear one. very slight thou. I seem to cover it with muting.

I might recommend different strings?

Maybe you need to work on muting?
I come from distorted electric guitars...
I have found that playing acoustic (much like an electric) I have to mute the un-played strings or they will sing with overtones.

Most of what I work on to "refine" a song is muting. With the left or right hand. Sometimes they have to take turns muting.

This is perhaps the main reason I still pick up my electrics. With tall the gain, overdrive, and compression,  In order to get a clean sound, you MUST Mute.

could that be it?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 03:16:01 PM by Ohio Tom »