Author Topic: Played a few guitars at a shop today  (Read 8259 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Played a few guitars at a shop today
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »
Today I stopped at an acoustic guitar shop that I've been meaning to visit again for a while. I'm not actively looking to buy a guitar right now as I have a "boutique" guitar in the works, but I'm always up for some window shopping and I'd like to maybe make another guitar purchase later in the year.

I played a couple old Gibsons from the 70s. One was a Hummingbird, one was something similar but less ornate (it wasn't a Country Western). I don't think the 70s were good to Gibson, and these guitars were proof. Not great. That being said, nearly all the new Gibsons I've played in recent months and years have been anywhere from pretty good to great.

Tried out a Martin 00-15M that was just lovely. That being said, I've played the D-15M and prefer the fuller, deeper sound. But I gotta say, Martin's 15 series is just impeccable. Great woods, great vintage appointments, great price, great sounds. I'm thinking about ordering a D-15M with gloss finish as that guitar purchase later in the year. We'll see.

Also tried an Eastman E10D. Wow. It might have been the best guitar I played in my quick visit. I have been skeptical about all the Eastman hype, but this guitar sounded great, looked great, and I couldn't believe the price tag.

I'm pretty familiar with most of the Taylor models, but I picked up one of the new 12-fret mahogany models. Great sound. Both times I've played 12-fret Taylors I've had to double check the headstock to make sure I'm playing a Taylor. It's a sound and feel that none of the other models come close to. It was a great combination with the mahogany -- really woody, vintage tone. Came really close to the Eastman as being one of my favorites of the visit. I think I just prefer the deeper tone of dreadnoughts, but the 12-fret would make a great addition as a different flavor.

I also picked up a GS Mini for the first time. It was a spruce model (I was hoping they'd have a mahogany one, which is kind of why I stopped in...) and it has a great small-body tone. Not unlike the 00 Martin I played, actually, at least in terms of volume. That being said, the fretboard felt a little cramped for my liking. I think it was the thin width and the small scale that combined to feel a little off. Granted, it was a quick test drive, and something I'm sure I could get used to, but a wider nut width and/or at least a 24" scale would go a long way I think. Maybe that's to come with the BTO Minis? :)

They also had a couple electric guitars there which I assume were new -- one was one of the new Fender American Vintage '69 Thinline models -- I've always been a fan of the thinline Telecaster and would have liked to have given it a go -- maybe next time.

It was a quick little visit, and I snagged some strings on my way out (I like to do that when I visit small guitar shops and play for a little while) -- I'll have to swing by another time to give the Mini another run (maybe they'll get the mahogany version in) and maybe give that Eastman another go... ;)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Played a few guitars at a shop today
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
For me, I have to avoid the guitar shops...visiting those gives me GAS!   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
I agree with your D-15 impressions.  I actually owned one about 10 years ago when they first came out, and I loved it.  It's one of those guitars that I wish I never sold. 

I have never had a chance to play an Eastman, as no dealers around here carry them, but I constantly here good things about them.

My last trip to my local shop resulted in a new crush on a 714, but I also played one of the new solid wood Yamahas, and for the money, it was an amazing guitar. 

It looks like there are alot of cost effective guitars on the market right now.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
Went to a store this afternoon and played a beautiful BTO koa - what a guitar   :-* :-* !!!!  I was dropping off my 516 for some adjustments and made the mistake of going into the acoustic room.

They had a super collection of Taylors and Martins along with a few other brands and the staff was so nice.  Ususally when I go into a music store I feel intimadated and don't really try much of anything but this place discussed my guitar and what was needed and then a few of the staff spent time with me in the acoustic room playing and answering all of my questions and we even ended up playing a few of the ukuleles.

I have to go back later this week to pick up my baby so another opportunity to "pet" that koa is coming..... ;D

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
i had a couple of the older J-15 all-mahogany models & prefered them tonally
to a 99 310M & 314Mce (sapele back & sides) ... very lively & dynamic, imho :)
all 'hog GS with adi CV ???
hmm ... now, there an idea ;)

i've heard great things about eastman & had a chance to play a few & compare
them to some blueridge models (comp woods/body shapes) as well ... very nice 8)

i wish i'd held onto the walden g3000 (great tone) i had & was able to compare it to a AC422 -
waldens are hi value per $, imho (D550, G570tb, G630ce, G1070, G2070, G3000, G3030ce) ...
yep, guitar shop acoustic rooms can be a very 'dangerous' business ;) ;D

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »
I played a Taylor GS Mini today. I was pretty impressed. All of the other guitars in that size sounded more like toys. The GS Mini really sounds good, relatively speaking that is.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:21:29 PM by roadbiker »
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »
For me, I have to avoid the guitar shops...visiting those gives me GAS!   ;D
Gee, you too?? :)
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »
I played my first Eastman in a guitar shop visit like yours. I think it was either an AC608CE, or an AC722CE.  I had never heard of them.  I was amazed at the sound, the action, and the price.  I still wonder if I should go back there and buy it.  But, on the other hand, my 812ce is on order.  I need to calm down.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:13:04 AM by Go Navy »
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:16:48 AM »
I just got an Eastman AC420CE from Hello Music at an incredible price.Sitka over rosewood.Sound and appearance belays even the MSRP.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »
I find that nice shops like the OP describes really cloud the issue, whether one is looking for a new guitar or not...

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Went to a different shop today when I was out getting a couple gifts.

Played another Martin 00-15M that was just as good as the other one I played. I think if I get a Martin 15M series guitar (likely the D-15M) down the road I'll order it with a 1.75" nut width though -- that's the only thing I'd improve upon with the 15M series. Oh, and maybe a gloss finish to really show off that mahogany... :)

Had a better experience with the GS Mini (again just the spruce version). Still probably a tiny bit more cramped than I'd like, but I enjoyed playing it more than I did the last one I tried. I'm interested to see what Taylor will do with the Mini going forward -- I think offering some BTO type options would be really fun.

Played a new old stock 714ce that was on clearance. It just didn't really sing out. Felt kinda dead. Looked beautiful though -- I love it when Taylor does matching rosewood binding on rosewood guitars.

The last guitar I picked up was another 12-fret GC, this time in spruce/rosewood. Wow. That's really all I can say. I spent more time playing it than the other three guitars combined. It was even better than the 12-fret mahogany guitar I played last week. I see one of these in my future someday. Just without the cutaway and electronics. I'm thinking a 12-fret GC in rosewood with the new 700 series sunburst/appointments would be pretty much amazing... :)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:14:46 AM »
Another report. This time it was the closest Guitar Center to me on the way to visit some family. Can't wait for a change of scenery in terms of guitar shops up in Seattle, as I mentioned in another thread.

Anyway, since it was a Saturday, it was fairly busy, but not too bad once I navigated my way through the electric guitars and amps. After seeing if they had either of my two Telecaster crushes in stock (Baja Telecaster or 69 reissue thinline Tele), which they didn't, I found myself in the acoustic rooms. They've gotten better at managing their acoustic inventory of late at this particular store. I remember seeing guitars on the wall that I wouldn't pay half price for due to the condition. A lot better these days.

They're the one of the few dealers that I know of within reasonable distance that carries Gibson, so I tried a few guitars out. They had a "modern classic" J-45 that was okay but not great. Also had a really nice Advanced Jumbo (not the stupid AJ Pro model GC has commissioned that is nothing like an AJ -- they had a few of those) that got me excited about my Fairbanks that I've got in the works (love love love the firestripe pickguard on sunburst!). Surprisingly, a pretty basic "modern classic" Hummingbird might have been my favorite of the three Gibsons. It was a great strummer and better than I thought for fingerstyle.

Played a few Martins. Took down an Eric Clapton OM that I promptly put back on the shelf. Didn't care for the glossy V-neck and just didn't really like the sound for strumming or picking. They had some kind of custom D-18 with wood binding, Alpine spruce top, and ebony fretboard/bridge. It was really really nice. I was hoping they'd maybe, just maybe have a new standard D-18 in, but they didn't. Played an HD-28V that knocked my socks off and is the first rosewood Martin I've liked. It just had a great sound. I really liked the soft V-neck and it made the 1-11/16" neck width feel bigger than it does on my Taylor 210.

The only Taylor I was interested in playing was a 12-fret and they didn't have one. Bummer. Played a spruce GS Mini and still feel like the fretboard is too narrow and/or short. Liked everything else about it. Took down a DN3 just for fun and it sounded great. If I didn't have a 210, I'd get one for sure. If they ever put a sunburst -- any kind :) -- on those for a Spring/Fall Limited, I'd snag one regardless.

Excited for some new guitar shop adventures in Seattle next month!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:28:12 AM by ataylor »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »
that martin D-18 custom alpine spruce, ebony board & bridge sounds pretty cool  8)

i was just wondering if you know if there is fairbanks square shoulder dreadnought model ???
an adi/hog with 24 7/8" scale, satin finish & a rosette like this would be a nice one (imho)
http://www.fairbanksguitars.com/galleries/finished.htm
pic #15 (aesthetically i'd like another black purfling pinstripe. rather than red)

i had a chance to play a 316ce yesterday, along with a 416ce ovangkol & 416ceLTD-R CV ...
the 316ce was tonally 'right there' with a 97 414K i brought to A/B &
the next time i can spend a bit more time, i gotta check out the 356ce :D

thanks for sharing & i hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »
that martin D-18 custom alpine spruce, ebony board & bridge sounds pretty cool  8)

i was just wondering if you know if there is fairbanks square shoulder dreadnought model ???
an adi/hog with 24 7/8" scale, satin finish & a rosette like this would be a nice one (imho)
http://www.fairbanksguitars.com/galleries/finished.htm
pic #15 (aesthetically i'd like another black purfling pinstripe. rather than red)

i had a chance to play a 316ce yesterday, along with a 416ce ovangkol & 416ceLTD-R CV ...
the 316ce was tonally 'right there' with a 97 414K i brought to A/B &
the next time i can spend a bit more time, i gotta check out the 356ce :D

thanks for sharing & i hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

The custom D-18 was definitely cool. With the wood binding it reminded me of some of the mid-2000s Taylors like the old 500/700 series. I did a little digging and apparently it's a run of 50 that Guitar Center commissioned. Unfortunately it was priced that way as well... I want to say it was in the ballpark of $3500. :(

I don't think Dale makes a square-shouldered dreadnought in the Fairbanks line. It seems that for now he's content to stay primarily on the Gibson side of the fence when it comes to his 20s/30s style guitars. I think his dreadnought sizes are AJ, OJ, and J-35 for 14-fret slope-shoulder models (I believe the AJ and OJ body styles both differ ever so slightly from the 35) and he's just started doing a 12-fret slope-shoulder Roy Smeck style model (which looks like a lot of fun).