Author Topic: Strap pin  (Read 461 times)

Adirondacker

Strap pin
« on: February 13, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
Good morning, everyone.
I have a Taylor 912c from which I removed both a saddle pickup and internal mik as well as the electronic strap pin that accompanied them.  I never used them and am glad to be rid of them and the wiring harness. I wish to reinstall a Schaller
Security pin but the screw is too small to work in the hole that was left —something like 3/8” wide. I figure I can sand a dowel to fit snugly stain it and install the screw. Any alternative advice would be welcomed.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Strap pin
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 11:08:36 AM »
Good morning back to ya!

A strap pin hole that is slightly too large for its screw is an age-old issue with electrics, mostly from screws loosening and therefore widening the hole, but also for folks who change strap buttons and find that new screw is bigger than the stock one. 

The normal fix is a bit of wood glue (regular Elmers works great) into the hole, and thin wood slivers in the hole to "fill it" in a sense.  Flat toothpics work great, round ones will work but can be a bit thick in some cases, or simply shave thin pieces from any scrap wood you may have (pine is soft and shaves easily, or even the edge of a 2x4 that may be laying around the garage).  When you fill the hole with glue and wood slivers, make sure to put the screw back in, just slightly, so as to maintain the hole and give the threads an area to bite when all is dry.  This has been performed countless times by guitar techs, and I have likewise done so for mine and friends' electrics many times over the years.  Yessir, done right and it is a one-time fix. :)

Edward
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 11:10:56 AM by Edward »

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:23:45 PM »
Why not just get the standard Taylor non electric end-pin?
They use a pin that looks normal from the butt but has a larger diameter to deal with the end pin jack size hole...
Call Taylor customer service and ask.
Stew-Mac makes a similar end-pin
I assume this is an older instrument, not sure they even make that model without the ES anymore.

Good luck and have fun

Paul
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:43:04 AM by Guitars44me »

Ohio Tom

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 01:13:15 PM »
A possible easy fix is to use one of those "mollys" that are used to secure things to drywall. Little plastic cone shaped inserts.

If you can find one that fits the hole.

If it doesn't work, you can easily remove it and leave no harm, no foul.