Author Topic: Referendum on Past Choices (A confession?)  (Read 423 times)

reddogmorgan

Referendum on Past Choices (A confession?)
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
Longtime reader, first time poster.... 

I started teaching myself guitar in high school by taking praise and worship chords charts after service on Sunday mornings.  My first guitar was an entry level, solid wood, Fender acoustic.  Decent enough for what it was, especially with Martin SP strings. While I was in college, I'd see the lead guitar players for different chapel worship teams all playing Taylors.  I don't know why, but I grew to hate Taylors primarily because I viewed those guys as the cool, pretty-boy, type that I've always been prejudiced against (pride is a killer, eh?). As a graduation gift, my parents bought me a new guitar.  I didn't try out a lot of guitar because I "knew" I wanted that Martin low tone and chose a Martin DCPA3.  It's a nice guitar with a beautiful unplugged tone. I knew getting the Martin was not the best decision because the neck felt big compared to my Fender acoustic and slightly uncomfortable at the time but I convinced myself that I'd get accustomed to it.  I'm not certain I ever have - bar chords or even capo'd chords up the neck burn my hand after awhile.  And to be honest, I really don't like the Fishman Aura pickup - too complicated.  At the time, I deliberately chose NOT to get a Taylor because I didn't want to be associated with pretty-boys.   I've had the Martin for 10 years or so and I wish I would've gotten a different guitar, especially when I got a Strat and started playing it regularly.

So, I recently started leading music at my church and my wife and I had a deal - if I ever led music full time, I could get a new guitar :)  Best. Wife. Ever.  I started looking at Taylors on Reverb and ultimately chose to get a used 714ce (2016 model, with the Western Sunburst).  And I couldn't be happier.  It feels much more comfortable to hold - it's lighter since it's a GA body, the neck feels just a fuzz smaller so playing chords up the neck is easier and almost Strat level feeling.  The tone is far more even and clean and clear.  It does have a little less bass but it's a good trade off.  Even though it's a GA body, I feel like it still has a fair amount of head room (is that thing for acoustic bodies?) and that I can push my strumming pretty hard without breakup.  Soft playing (strumming or picking) is lovely.  Paired with an LR Baggs Venue is "chef's kiss."

Here's the point - I let my personal (and wrong) feelings about the "type" of Taylor player influence me to get a guitar that wasn't the right fit.  Don't do that.  If you do, be willing to buy a new guitar, even it's a Taylor or a Martin (or a Seagull or a Guild, or a....).

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Referendum on Past Choices (A confession?)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
Welcome and good story...I was once a dyed-in-the-wool Martin fan, having owned 7 or 8 of them. Then along came the Taylor GA, and my search was over. I own a 2020 714, and I couldn't be happier with it and my other 5 GAs. I also write and perform Christ-centered music along with playing with a worship team at church. In any case, glad to have you aboard!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 11:25:37 AM »
Welcome aboard, man! Great first post IMO ...I am very much in favor of that honesty thing ;)

All too many of us have had that “prejudice” thing going, but we clever ones deny that ugly word and mask it as this or that ...oh the disguise rationalizations and mental gymnastics can offer!  But then something bizarre happens: many tend to grow up and recognize those little bugaboos for what they are: crud decisions based on lame logic. I speak of myself, of course!

Congrats on the best wife ever as I, too, know this priceless gift, and congrats on that guit that you now love.  It’s good to “come around” ...BTDT, and constantly learning how to recognize the garbage logic to reduce the lifecycle of “man, what was I thinking”!!  Be well and enjoy the music, sir!!

Edward

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 02:50:10 PM »
Welcome. Your first post was a good eye opener. I haven't had that experience re guitars....I've always tried to be open minded. It started in my college years when fellow students would talk negatively about a professor, then I'd have the opposite experience. It has been something I've continually worked on....it's not easy. But once I find what I like and what works for me, I tend to stick with it (I'm loyal, yet respectful of the other options). Sounds like you have a nice Taylor now....the 714ce with a western sunburst!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!