Author Topic: What Pedal(s) Do You Use?  (Read 6430 times)

Go Navy

• Northern California
What Pedal(s) Do You Use?
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
Does anyone use any pedals with your acoustic?  I've never used them that much.  I once had an EQ pedal, long ago, but that was an attempt to get a sound I wanted out of an Ovation which I no longer own;  also the amp I had at the time didn't suit my ear in retrospect. Right now the only "pedal" I use is a brand new Polytune tuner from TC Electronics and I keep it in the chain between the guitar and the amp.  So far, it's very quiet and the display is excellent.
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Re: What Pedal(s) Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
I use the Bose L1 PA with a T1 ToneMatch, which is essentially a mini-mixer.  I hang it on my mic stand for easy access.  It provides EQ, compressor/limiter, reverb, delay, and modulation effects (chorus/flange) -- Really anything an acoustic player would need.  That being said, once you dial in the Taylor specific EQ preset, the only thing you need is perhaps a little reverb and a touch of compression to even out the guitar output.  I've set up presets for my typical situations, so once the system is set up, it's a quick preset recall and volume tweak and we're good to go.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
I have always viewed "pedals" as "effects.  So in my mind, tuners and DI boxes "don't count" as pedals since they provide an essential function to your tone/play ...again, just my personal view on how the question is defined. 

So that said, I use only a Baggs Venue for some modest tone shaping, then straight to board ...I'll let the FOH guy provide reverb as need be.   But I have contemplated getting a delay peday for "those times" I want to add a bit of sonic interest.  Just haven't done it yet.  FWIW, I've read the Digitech "Hardwire" series are superb fx pedals that are dead quiet, true bypass, and purportedly sound great.  Been thinking of a Hardwire Delay but just haven't gotten around to it :)

Edward

Satsuki

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
I use the Gas, Clutch and brake pedal in my Miata to drive to church and play. ;D

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »
I have always viewed "pedals" as "effects.  So in my mind, tuners and DI boxes "don't count" as pedals since they provide an essential function to your tone/play ...again, just my personal view on how the question is defined. 

Edward

No argument there.....I agree with your definition. 
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
when i think of a acoustic 'pedal', it would have a gain/level control actuated by the pedal
zoom G2.1u - i've seen/heard this demo'd with a T5 & i thought it was very impressive
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g2nu
A2.1u - this one would be more 'geared' to an acoustic
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/a21u

whereas something that has a on/off or switching, single effects or other, is a 'stomp box'
breakout
https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1103&categoryid=1011&page=1
A/B
https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1102&categoryid=1011&page=1

these 2 are also pre-amp & DIs, but there is no volume/gain 'pedal'
BBE acoustimax
http://www.bbesound.com/products/instrument-preamps/acoustimax.aspx
lr baggs venue
http://www.lrbaggs.com/venue/

one that's not a 'stomp' (no foot-actuated switching), i'd call an EQ (line-level, no gain)
presonus eq3b
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=19
or a pre-amp (has gain)
lr baggs padi
http://www.lrbaggs.com/paradi.htm

i own & used the lr baggs padi when my 814ceLTD had fishman stereo blender
(& i used basically used it as a DI once i put the iMix onboard in it) & the
presonus eq2b with a 614ceL2 element active (volume control only, no TC)

it's been a good while since i've used either - i got the padi first & even after
doing everything i could with it, just the element straight in with a trs 1/4"/xlr
sounded better to me than the 'tweaked' fishman (eq'ing the iMix needed little),
but i find the eq3b is quicker/easier to dial in & worked great with the element

i don't know if this helps any, but i hope it does

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:14:26 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Matt McGriff

• Might be my fault...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »
I use an Aura 16 pedal with my Rainsong.  Sounds fantastic. 
2011 Taylor 810e
2010 Rainsong Hybrid Studio Dread
2011 Taylor GSMini

Magster24

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »
All the differences b/w pedals/stomp boxes/DIs/Pre-amps etc aside, right now the only thing in my signal chain is a Taylor Balanced Breakout box (purchased from a fellow forum member) straight to the House PA.  The Taylor Box is just for me to mute my signal when I'm plugging/unplugging etc...not required.

I used to use a tuner pedal, but lately I've just been using my Snark and I like that a lot.  If the House Sound Engineer is decent, I let them take care of everything else and will run my ES flat or maybe a little addition to both the Bass/Treble controls for a bit of a "mid-cut".  If the Sound Engineer is not working for me, I might run my signal through my Baggs PADI so I get a little bit more EQ control for myself.

That's about it...
- Aaron

Guitars:
Taylor 614ce ('07)
Taylor 612ce ('10) - my wife's
Taylor BT3 Baby Maple ('07)
Yamaha G-235 (late '70s) Classical
Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele ('11)

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »
The only thing I have ever used with the 814ce is a Chorus Pedal.  I do not use it every time I play out, but I do enjoy it.  I've also plugged in something for singing; a Harmony G-XT.  Other than that, nothing else.  In reality though, I mostly just play acoustically.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

FastnBulbous

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »
I confess to a bit of indulgence where pedals are concerned.  My mainstay is a Line 6 M9, which I use with my T5.  I like its looper a lot, sometimes to lay down an chord backing with the T5 on its most "acoustic" setting, and then perhaps with a different tone played over the top.  As to which effects in the M9 are most useful (there are 100+ to choose from!) is naturally a pretty subjective topic, but at the more acoustic end of the spectrum I often use a compressor, an EQ and a reverb, with a chorus, tremelo and delay in reserve.  You can keep everything subtle, or get more extreme if the  song/situation so demands.  The fact that you can set up a number of "scenes", each with a choice of 6 effects, and with any 3 available simultaneously, is pretty handy.  The tap tempo button can be applied to delay, tremelo etc, so you can tempo-lock a series of effects together, perhaps some set with a dotted rhythm variation on the tapped tempo.  Very flexible.  And if you want 6 different delays, or six different EQs, etc, available under your foot that's fine - you're not limited to one instance of any one type of effect. 

On a mad whim recently I bought a Electro Harmonix Freeze pedal, which is proving absolute magic!  Sustain a chord/pedal note for ever, while you play along.  Lost of possibilities.

I also use a Hardwire reverb pedal, which I can thoroughly recommend, especially if your amp
doesn't have any reverb built in.

Apologies for the ramble - hope it helps a bit!

Cheers
Simon

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 02:11:22 AM »
TC Hall of Fame reverb, tc flashback delay....most recently got an eventide timefactor (amazing).  Everything is run in stereo.

I must admit,  I'm no acoustic purist.  My rig is set up for driving delays and big sound.  If you're into great effects, the tc stuff is great and inexpensive.  The entire stuff is a jump up the latter and I've had some sweet sounds out of the strymon line of pedals.

Oh, almost forgot...I also have a rolad sde-2500 running though the setup. 

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
Well, if we're talking T5 and other electrics that's another story.  Boss GT-10 is the board I've used for the past few years.  Great modeling, classic stomp tones, easy to configure. 

When I got back into playing in the late 90's, my first multi-effect was a Boss ME-30.  To a guy that grew up playing in the 70's with MXR, E-H and Boss pedals,  this thing was a piece of musical genius!  Of course GAS quickly set in which led to the GT-3, then the GT-6, and now the GT-10 (I skip generations).  More power in the same size package!

The irony of the situation is that since I picked up an Egnater Rebel 30 amp (pure tube tone bliss!), I use the GT-10 in manual mode for an occasional delay or modulation effect (chorus/flanger).  No more need for amp modeling as the Egnater nails the tone I was looking for.  The models do come into play if I'm playing direct into the Bose or other PA...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
The only pedals I've ever used with an acoustic is a Boss TU-2 and a chorus pedal.

I thought about trying an overdive pedal. Jon Butler's proven that's something which can be done effectively...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »
...The irony of the situation is that since I picked up an Egnater Rebel 30 amp (pure tube tone bliss!), I use the GT-10 in manual mode for an occasional delay or modulation effect (chorus/flanger).  No more need for amp modeling as the Egnater nails the tone I was looking for.  The models do come into play if I'm playing direct into the Bose or other PA...

Funny ...and echose my experience as well. 

Went from the pedal board of indiv stompboxes, then stripped down to the then-amazing Boss GT-3, then discovered pure tube bliss.  Explored amp after another and settled on two different Boogies (did I mention tube bliss ;) ).  And though I have in the years reflected on going up the chain to the newer Boss GTs, I still use my lowly GT-3 because I only keep it in manual mode: no models, and simply tap delay, reverb, diff levels of OD, compression ...simple stuff I can toggle on/off.  But my tone is 99% guitar+amp.  Hmmm, kind of like how I started :)

Edward

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
Like barefooter, I use a TC-Gxt for harmony when I'm singing.  Otherwise, it's the tone of the guitar tweaked a bit to keep the sound natural through an amp or PA.  Regarding that use, I have not been overwhelmed with the sound of my 114ce through the Bose LT Compact.  I don't have the T1 Tone Match.  I bought a Behringer ADI21 from another member here, and that certainly helps.  Tweaking that pedal, I get natural tone, but still have an issue with feedback.  Is this typical with the ES on the 114ce?

Today, for grins and giggles, I bought a Roland Cube Street... maybe off-topic, since I have no use for pedals with it, but I was pleasantly surprised at the tone through that little amp.  If this whole retirement thing doesn't work out for me, you might find me out on a street corner.  ;)

Captn Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini