Author Topic: What Else Do You Do?  (Read 2596 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
What Else Do You Do?
« on: January 29, 2021, 10:48:56 AM »
Probably pretty evident that everyone here is into guitars to one degree or another but, despite what you may have been led to believe, there's more to life than guitars.

So, for you, what else is it?

I'm a photographer. I do it as a professional but also as a hobby. It meshes well with the fact that another hobby I have is I also like to travel. In 2018 I visited Ireland, and in 2019 I went to Italy and Scotland. My daughter and I were supposed to go to Belgium last year, but that got put off to this year. Well, we're not going this year, either, but the "travel jones" has not relented, so it'll be road trips for me this year (I made one last year, as well). I hope to drive the four longest roads in the United States by the end of the year. I leave on the first trip April 1.

So, aside from guitars, my hobbies are pretty much photography and travel. I also collect old cameras, Kodak memorabilia and nice watches.

So, what are you into?
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: What Else Do You Do?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »
Most of mine are "done", not "do currently".  In addition to guitar and ukulele (ran a club for 12+ years until last fall) I practice tai chi regularly.  Before my rotator cuff injury two years ago this weekend and the subsequent surgery, we liked to flat water kayak a lot, but that is permanently over now.  Just cannot bring myself to selling the kayaks yet.  I also used to be a serious target pistol competitor and instructor.  I spent over 35 years in various martial arts until nagging injuries eventually forced me out.  We also liked to scuba dive in tropical places.  Oh yes, I was a photographer too (photojournalism mostly but some art too).  Put that away more than 25 years ago.

Travel is NOT my thing, having flown more than 950K airline miles for personal and business travel over my career.  I have no jones to go anywhere that cannot be driven to, but more power to those that have itchy feet.  I don't mind flying - as long as I'm in the front seat driving!  But I sold the Cessna almost ten years ago, and that's it for me after logging ~1400 hours of Alaska time.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:00:27 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:31:49 PM »
We are both retired and loving it.....retired CPA's.

We live on the acreage in Northern Michigan that my great grandparents settled on and farmed, after they immigrated from Poland, landing in NY on April 22, 1889.
We get out on the property quite a bit for tree cutting, exercise, and general care-taking responsibilities.

Our biggest "hobby" since 2008 has been producing pure Michigan maple syrup. It was a interest that my husband had, and we've jumped in with both feet, together! We have established a nice little business and are really proud of the product we produce.  :D

We also travel in our motor home throughout the U.S., when we can. Many, many hobbies have come and gone too....but they've resulted in some wonderful memories and great friends.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:36:54 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 03:49:17 PM »
Retired supply chain executive - it's so nice living here in high desert country. My wife and I are very involved in our church and the social gospel. We enjoy cycling, hiking, swimming, good books, good films and good food. We love nature and our pets. I love creating, recording and performing Christ-centered music, while my wife is more of a visual artist. When we get a better handle on the pandemic, we'll be back to traveling as well....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 04:09:22 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 11:38:34 PM »
Our biggest "hobby" since 2008 has been producing pure Michigan maple syrup. It was a interest that my husband had, and we've jumped in with both feet, together! We have established a nice little business and are really proud of the product we produce.  :D

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that!
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 05:37:26 AM »

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that!
We ship all over the country. If you are interested, just shoot me a PM.
Susie

cotten

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 06:33:17 PM »
I’ve been off of guitar forums for several years, having been very active previously. In the meantime, I’ve
1) developed a writer, including serving on the editorial board of my local newspaper. I’ve even set some lyrics from a talented song writer friend to music that’s been well received, if not a big hit;
2) renewed my interest in photography. I once burned through mile after mile of 35mm film, 36 frames at a time. Loved my Olympus OM system, and had even set up a darkroom in our guest bathroom, complete with a Bessemer 23c enlarger, trays, tanks, chemicals, and timers. Now I’m shooting with an old but decent DSLR, and have had some pictures published;
3) three years ago, I bought a Polaris Slingshot, a weird little 3-wheeled “auto cycle” go cart/jet ski for the road thingie. Driving it is SO much fun! It’s almost like I felt at 15 and first learning to drive. Love it!
4) at 73, I’m still working part time as a music minister, the job I had full time for nearly 50 years. Don’t tell my boss, but I love it so much that I’d pay them for the opportunity!
5) I’ve all but stopped teaching guitar, and my wife, still a church organist, has all but stopped teaching piano and organ.

I’m enjoying the gift of every new day of life, trying not to squander any opportunity. I have so much for which to be truly grateful!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 08:10:48 PM »
Guitar playing started in 2011 when a friend sorta gave me permission.
I'll never be as good as most on this forum, but I'm enjoying myself and that's all that really matters.

My real passion is working with wood, I've been a Cabinetmaker since 1967 working on projects like kitchen cabinets to schools to high end retailers like Gucci, Ralph Loren, Nordstrom etc.
I have a fully functional cabinet shop on our property where I was self employed until everything crashed in 2008.
I still continue making items for our home and my wife makes fancy little boxes.
Since 2006 I've scratch built six 5' x 10' teardrop trailers, they take me about 800 hours (7 months)each to build, but it's a lot of fun.
My wife and I have camped quite a bit in our teardrop with the exception of 2020.
We have already made a couple campsite reservations for this year and can't wait to escape.
Since I love my custom 12 fret Taylor guitar with the Ovangkol back and sides I just completed some TV trays with Ovangkol/Shedua.
We are having fun eating meals on them, :D Danny
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:15:24 PM by woodnut »
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini koa
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini Rosewood
Custom Taylor 412ce 12 fret Ovankol with Koa bindings

prezmc

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »
I'm not retired :)

IT (AI/Machine Learning) for work

Other hobbies - Photography & videography / audio engineer (FOH mixing and some recording) / Cycling / Trap & Skeet Shooting / Video games with my kids and other random trouble I can find my way into. :)

2018 K14ce BE
2020 614ce BE
2020 714ce
2019 A12
2013 BT2

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 05:57:26 PM »
I’ve been off of guitar forums for several years, having been very active previously.

Good to see you back, Cotten!  I understand the need to take a break at times.  My photography was all back in the film / darkroom era, with almost no digital experience.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

cc7

• The Elderly Brothers of Chicagoland on YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 07:27:28 PM »
Sit and reminisce about the days when I worked.
Retired after 40 years in law enforcement and 10 years as a pastoral associate for church.
I have a band but we haven’t gigged much since last March...just a few gigs through last summer:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCng0jd7l-azruWBykbor3gA

Still involved in music ministry and volunteer ministries.
I am an ordained minister for the last 20 years and I preach as needed.
Since things have been restrained, I have been posting some videos for local churches and working on remote recordings with my choir.
Working on one for next weekend, and here is the most recent..I play the acoustic panned to the left and the electric panned to the right, but not the lead guitar in the “center”.

https://youtu.be/yLj6cWlwzig

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:11:58 AM by cc7 »

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 09:13:59 PM »
Great post Shutterbug! I am not retired, so my life is stress filled with work. To relieve that , when I am not on one of my guitars, I am on a horse . Nothing special , just enjoying nature on the back of my horse. Hopefully more horse riding and more guitar playing in retirement 3 or so years down the road . Or maybe I will change hobbies and buy a teardrop trailer from Woodnut,, but only if it’s big enough to fit some of the best darn TV trays I have ever seen !!! Oh,well  for now happy enough with the Koa TRC that Woodnut made a couple years back. Enjoy life all , it’s short.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 11:15:32 PM »
Thanks Guitar Cowboy for the kind words.  :D Danny

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 06:33:05 AM »
Thanks Guitar Cowboy for the kind words.  :D Danny
I will second Guitar Cowboy...your work is beautiful! Quite talented. I use my beautiful woodnut foot stool all the time.  ;)
Susie

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 12:45:49 PM »
Thanks Susie.
When I was 7 years old they were building Kearney High School in the Linda Vista area of San Diego, CA.
We use to play in the old fox holes left over from WW l USMC training Camp Kearney that later became the parking lot of that school.
I'd watch the builders from day one and told my mom at 7 I wanted to be a Cabinetmaker.
Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life is very true.
Teardrop trailer camping is a lot of fun since your forced to be outdoors and socialize.
My wife had a custom travel harp made to fit in our tow vehicle.
Here she is playing in Yosemite Valley.