Author Topic: What strings do you use on your Taylor GA ?  (Read 3506 times)

plivemusic

What strings do you use on your Taylor GA ?
« on: January 05, 2021, 01:43:04 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering what strings folks use on their Taylor GA bodies ?

THANKS!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: What strings do you use on your Taylor GA ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
I use Elixir PB Nano HD Lights. I'm a fingerpicker and find the slightly heavier gauge on the first 3 strings a benefit, since I mostly carry the melody on those strings. They work for me, in what and how I play.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

SDTaylorman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
Elixir Nanos in Custom Light gauge. Either PB or 80/20 depending on my wallet at the time.  ;)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:58:55 PM »
Elixir PB Nano HD Lights on one of my GAs (K24e) and the other five use Elixir PB Nano Lights.....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

prezmc

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:26:09 PM »
Like many others, I've used Elixir PB Lights on my guitars.  I've tried many others, but kept coming back... except, I've now put these:
https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/acoustic-guitar/xt-phosphor-bronze/
on a 314ce, and mostly prefer them.  They sound similar to the elixir, with less brightness / aggressiveness in the highs.  The only downside I've noticed is more string noise when moving around on the neck.
2018 K14ce BE
2020 614ce BE
2020 714ce
2019 A12
2013 BT2

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
After trying virtually everything, I have landed on D'Addario coated phosphor bronze custom lights (.11-.52), which can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E3CHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually use these strings on almost all of my guitars, big and small. I am looking for a very mellow, warm tone, and these do the trick, particularly for finger style playing.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

prezmc

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »
After trying virtually everything, I have landed on D'Addario coated phosphor bronze custom lights (.11-.52), which can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E3CHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually use these strings on almost all of my guitars, big and small. I am looking for a very mellow, warm tone, and these do the trick, particularly for finger style playing.

Curious - what about the custom lights do you prefer over the lights? Easier to play? Do you find much change in tone?
2018 K14ce BE
2020 614ce BE
2020 714ce
2019 A12
2013 BT2

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 08:33:56 AM »

Curious - what about the custom lights do you prefer over the lights? Easier to play? Do you find much change in tone?

I'm not very good at describing things, but they seem to be the most comfortable and responsive strings for me, and they produce a very warm sound. They are coated so I get a lot of use out of them, too.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 10:48:13 PM »
I use Elixir PB Nano HD Lights. I'm a fingerpicker and find the slightly heavier gauge on the first 3 strings a benefit, since I mostly carry the melody on those strings. They work for me, in what and how I play.

I don't own a Grand Auditorium, but if I did I would use Elixir PB HD Lights. They may be shipping with those again, but if not, HDs would be in the on-deck circle as next up.

I use this gauge on most of my 6 stringers, including both my Grand Concerts, both -J-200 Jumboes, and my Grand Orchestra. My Walnut Jumbo likes Mediums best and my Alvarez demands Light gauge. Considering it is a similar size to a Grand Auditorium and a similar shape to a Grand Orchestra, there might be some competition for the best string gauge for me and a Grand Auditorium. Especially for an x-braced spruce over rosewood model.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks. I like having a well balanced sound and the HD gauge helps me with that. Also one of the best features of Jumbo guitars is that they produce naturally well-balanced sound, and the Taylor lineup has a lot of shapes that are jumboes or are closed related to that shape, even the smaller ones. I view the Grand Orchestra as not only a replacement for a Jumbo, but an improvement over the Jumbo.

So as Susie points out that the Medium trebles in the HD gauge help improve the sound, I also feel that using the Light gauge bass in large body guitars keeps the bass more in sync with the trebles, especially with the Rosewood 818 Grand Orchestra.

Here is a link to an Elixir and Andy Powers interview/conversation about the HD Light gauge, .013 - .053 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbTSHDm-jIg&feature=youtu.be

Don
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:49:56 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 01:41:16 PM »
I use d'Addario XT light PBs on my guitar tuned E-e.  d'Addario EJ17 medium PBs on the one tuned D-d.  And d'Addario EJ17 medium PBs on the one tuned to open D or open G.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »
Mine are mostly GA's (or were).  My strings are usually D'Addario EJ-17 PB in medium gauge, sometimes EJ-16 in light gauge.  I often play in altered tunings, so heavier strings let me tune down while maintaining good playing feel and tension.  Taylor GA's can handle medium gauge tension safely.  I use cheaper uncoated strings for alternate tunings because tuning a string up and down kills the tone quickly.  For guitars that rarely get played, and for all twelve strings, it is Elixir Nanoweb PB light gauge - so I don't have to change them often.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby