Author Topic: Any Photographers?  (Read 1051 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Any Photographers?
« on: December 26, 2020, 06:59:34 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a Canon 5D MKIV, the battery grip, along with a Rode mic and shoulder rig for doing video, which I'm hoping to get more into. The shoulder rig and the mic were less than $200 together, so it's a minimal loss if I decide that video isn't as cool as I think it might be.

This is why I can't have nice guitars! I could've had a very nice addition or two to the guitar quiver!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:37:53 PM by Shutterbug »
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Any Photographers?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 06:09:05 AM »
I'm not a photographer, but I appreciate those who love it, since learning some about photography in a class I took. I'm sure you're excited about your new equipment. The guitars can wait....for now.  ;)

I think most of us have other interests that compete with guitar. One of mine is mountain dulcimer....DAD (dulcimer acquisition disease) is just as bad as GAS.  ::)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »
I'm not a photographer, but I appreciate those who love it, since learning some about photography in a class I took. I'm sure you're excited about your new equipment. The guitars can wait....for now.  ;)

I think most of us have other interests that compete with guitar. One of mine is mountain dulcimer....DAD (dulcimer acquisition disease) is just as bad as GAS.  ::)

Well, the bottom line is that guitars are an indulgence. While I used to earn a fair amount performing, that was another life. I don't do that anymore. Photography, on the other hand, is how I pay my bills, so I'm comfortable making that investment. Guitars are a "want" investment. Cameras are a "need"...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »
Well, the rig arrived. It's going to be a bit of a learning curve, but Canon's controls have always been pretty intuitive.

I'll try to get a couple pictures of the set up tomorrow...

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 01:41:16 PM »
I am a recovering photographer from back in the film days - went through a "12 f-stop" program years ago and remain sober.   :o   :)  Freelancing was actually my student job back in college (college newspaper, local newspaper, college yearbook, university photo department) plus I've shot a few in-house assignments for companies that I worked for.  The last time my film cameras were used seriously was to shoot a friend's wedding as a gift, and they just celebrated their 25th anniversary.

My experience with digital is mostly reading current photography magazines when they sometimes show up in the "take one free" magazine bin at our local library - back when it was open.  It is kinda like being a longtime acoustic guitar player and then discovering that the entire world has gone electric.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby