Author Topic: As said, "New/OLD Player  (Read 1459 times)

OldNewPlayer

As said, "New/OLD Player
« on: December 17, 2020, 12:26:40 PM »
Hi,

Last month I purchased a Taylor 150E 12 string after basically not playing for 20 years plus. I played on stage throughout the '80's until 1987 when I injured my left hand damaging tendons, nerves in my fingers and my wrist losing flexibility. I went from a pretty good guitar player to an average player. I tried playing one more gig in 1988 to impress my new boss and played once more in '93 with a woman I had played with before. had a pair of custom Martins, a D-28 and a D12-28 12 string. They were amazing guitars. In 2000, I got a call from an ex girlfriend I had known since high school. We also dated on and off throughout the '70's and '80's. She was my biggest music fan. She told me she had Cancer and not much time left. She asked me if I'd come and sing to her again when her time came. When I got that call, I hopped on a plane and when I arrived, borrowed a friend's D-28 and sang for her as she took her last breath. Probably the last song she heard was "Never My Love", the first song we danced to at a high school dance. It took ever ounce of strength to play for her without losing it. I was devastated. When I returned home, I just could not play anymore and sold all my guitars including the two Martins. On the 20 anniversary of her death, I talked to her sister and she told me it was time to play again and that she will still hear me. I figured the way 2020 was going, maybe it might be a good escape so I went out and bought a cheap guitar in case I couldn't play anymore. After a few days I felt I could play somewhat but the 6 string wasn't enough to push me onward. I missed the sound of a 12 string so I took it back and traded for the Taylor 150E. I liked the sound and once the action was adjusted liked the way it played. I have a LONG way to go to be functional. I had a great sound system in the old days so for the Taylor I bought a digital reverb and a multi effects pedal. Now with a new set of headphones, I can truly escape. It is good to play again.

The video link has and old recording from 1985 and me trying to play Norwegian Wood again with the Taylor before the action was lowered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyfMNYxmbz8

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:30:14 PM by OldNewPlayer »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: As said, "New/OLD Player
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 02:49:41 PM »
Such a touching story and a beautiful video. Thanks for sharing that. In 2020, we need to have some good, which your getting back into playing surely is. Welcome back and congrats on your new 150e.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

OldNewPlayer

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 03:35:33 PM »
Such a touching story and a beautiful video. Thanks for sharing that. In 2020, we need to have some good, which your getting back into playing surely is. Welcome back and congrats on your new 150e.

Thanks. I hope she's not hearing me until I get better. It's been a long time and fingers are not working that great nor is my voice.

This is a recording I made for her of the first song we danced to in High School circa 1969. Was made on my 4 track and Martin D-28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb8LuHOXwnY

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »

Thanks. I hope she's not hearing me until I get better. It's been a long time and fingers are not working that great nor is my voice.

This is a recording I made for her of the first song we danced to in High School circa 1969. Was made on my 4 track and Martin D-28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb8LuHOXwnY
So lovely. She was very special to you, obviously. I'm sorry you lost her at such an early age.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 06:55:56 PM »
Wow, yes very touching story . Thank you for sharing!
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:06:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum OldNewPlayer.  Loved the sound clips.  I bet it feels pretty good to be back to playing again, congratulations.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
Welcome OldNewPlayer!

The sound clips were wonderful as well as the story that goes with them. Used to be a full-time 12 stringer, but that was many years ago. It's so nice to hear someone do it well, and you definitely do! Enjoy your stay....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

plivemusic

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 11:17:16 AM »
Old/New,

Welcome to UTGF and thanks for sharing your touching story and audio clips.  Glad you're playing again -- enjoy your Taylor!

All the best