Author Topic: STRINGS IN HUMID CLIMATES  (Read 1035 times)

ReisPR

STRINGS IN HUMID CLIMATES
« on: December 15, 2020, 02:20:22 AM »
Hello, all. My very first post. Guess that makes me a...never mind.

I have a NEW Taylor 512ce 12-fret 2014 FLTD that came with Taylor's recommended Elixir strings in the HD Light 13-53 gauge. They had a bit of corrosion on them, just from hanging in the shop for some time, but this is Taylor's authorized retailer in Bangkok, and I think this is quite normal. The question I have is about changing the strings.

I went to one of the local experts here, and brought him the new Elixirs. But he told me that gauge is fine for the United States - but here in Thailand, he warned, you really need thinner gauge, specifically, 11. Otherwise, he said, you're in danger of warping the guitar from the additional tension on the thicker strings.

I do not believe this guy is just trying to sell me strings. He's owned his own store for years. Quite a good musician.

I went ahead and had him put Ernie Ball 11s on it, and watched him closely - he really seemed to know what he was doing.

What do y'all think? Plausible? Fake news? Doesn't make a whit of difference?  (NOTE: I keep the guitar meticulously in its Taylor case with humidity monitor, and humidifier and desiccant packs as required).

Thanks for your thoughts.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: STRINGS IN HUMID CLIMATES
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
At least on the surface what you're being told sounds plausible; extreme climates -- either very dry or very wet -- will affect guitars more dramatically than the more moderate environments found in other parts of the world (like the US).  That being said, if the guitar is theoretically kept at the recommended humidity level most of the time (like when it's stored), a heavier string gauge shouldn't adversely affect the guitar and warp it.  That doesn't necessarily invalidate what this gentleman is telling you; it just may be that he knows from experience that it's extremely difficult to maintain the recommended humidity conditions in places like Thailand, and thinner gauge strings will help to mitigate that situation.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 11:52:13 AM »
...I went to one of the local experts here, and brought him the new Elixirs. But he told me that gauge is fine for the United States - but here in Thailand, he warned, you really need thinner gauge, specifically, 11. Otherwise, he said, you're in danger of warping the guitar from the additional tension on the thicker strings.

I do not believe this guy is just trying to sell me strings. He's owned his own store for years. Quite a good musician....

1. He may be a "good guy" and a stellar musician, but neither make him right. 
2. He's "sort of" in the ballpark with the dangers of extended high humidity, but dead wrong about "warping a guitar" due to "thicker strings" ...dead wrong.
3. Extended periods of low or high RH will crack or swell a guitar, regardless of string gauge.  That said, one gets tell-tale signs, obvious indicators in sound and playability, prior to things going very bonkers.  Not unlike getting runny nose or feeling lethargic before you realize ya got a full-blown cold.  Guitars don't just up and crack, implode, or swell into a jellied mess overnight.  And all this on a guitar with any strings, regardless of gauge.
4. I'll be generous and say he's got good intentions.  But he's still dead wrong.  So would I trust a guy with good intentions who draws bad conclusions?  Feel free to answer for yourself; I've got my opinions. ;)
5. You are completely correct: you are already fastidious in monitoring the RH and keeping it consistent.  Use whatever strings brand and gauge that you prefer.
6. Given the high humidity in your region --and apparently low turnover in string sales in that store-- I'd consider getting strings mail order when you need them to ensure they are "fresh" and corrosion free.  FWIW, D'Addario packs their strings in sealed plastic to "lock in" freshness ...felt funny typing that ;)  Also, perhaps keep a spare set in the guitar case so as to keep that set in good shape.
7. Oh, and welcome on your first post! :D

Edward
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:57:47 AM by Edward »

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 08:53:12 PM »
...I went to one of the local experts here, and brought him the new Elixirs. But he told me that gauge is fine for the United States - but here in Thailand, he warned, you really need thinner gauge, specifically, 11. Otherwise, he said, you're in danger of warping the guitar from the additional tension on the thicker strings.

I do not believe this guy is just trying to sell me strings. He's owned his own store for years. Quite a good musician....

... 2. He's ... dead wrong about "warping a guitar" due to "thicker strings" ...dead wrong...

All other things being equal, the man isn't wrong; thicker string guages require more tension to tune to pitch.  If the guitar is over-humidified, it could contribute to warping of the guitar.  In fact, moisture is key to the process of shaping guitars during their construction:  wet wood, sometimes molded under pressure.  So excessive moisture combined with higher string tension could conceivably contribute to warping of the wood.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »
^^^Well that's why i qualified my #2 point with the initial phrase "sort of."  So sure, I'm cutting him some slack. 

The bottom line is if a guitar is facing copious RH for extended periods of time, this is simply not conducive to any guitar's structure, and so the store guy's recommendation to go from 12s to 11s, clearly implying that this is the solution, is not going to "save" a guitar from high RH if this is the only point of change.  Perhaps I wasn't clear enough but I tried to outline that in my response...

Edward