Author Topic: How the heck do you sell a guitar, anyway ?  (Read 3487 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Re: How the heck do you sell a guitar, anyway ?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2020, 10:19:41 PM »
Favorite Local Guitar Store
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
Favorite Local Guitar Store.  If you are fortunate enough to have one!  Big Box stores like Guitar Center don't count, I believe...

Salud

Paul

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 04:40:13 PM »
I sold two guitars this year during Covid. With Larrivee's so scarce, and this particular model scarcer, and being 12 frets even more rare, I end up buying to try them. In my case these excellent guitars have a bigger sound than my OO's that didn't quite fit my ear, so they weren't keepers.

One was sold via a guitar forum. I believe in overwhelming a potential buyer with pics, videos and sound clips plus detailed tech specs that I put in a shared Google folder as well as an Apple iCloud folder. Buying sight unseen is scary for most so since I'm confident in the guitar's quality I try to be as forthcoming as possible. I also offered a Facetime or Zoom session to demo the guitar. My buyer was a very decent guy and we quickly came to a compromise on the cost of a PayPal transaction which protects us both and with shipping. I lost a few hundred on it, but that's on me - I consider it rent <grin>

The second was offered on Reverb when they sent me a "first sale free" coupon I took advantage of quickly. Pretty much the same selling technique, photos, specs, sound clips, videos and Cloud shared folders. The guitar sold fairly quickly but the Reverb sale was my first so there was a bit of confusion as far as collecting the funds and some anxious moments when the buyer missed two delivery attempts as a signature was required. That said I wouldn't hesitate to use Reverb again.

One last thing I'd like to offer is that with covid vaccination due to wrap up late spring, so will the best selling season ever for guitar sales. With the roaring 2021s starting and folks bolting out of the house, all those well intentioned 2020 guitar purchases will start collecting dust and by summer I predict a flood of guitars on the market. This may well affect beginner guitars more than mid or higher priced guitars, but I think the $1000 - $2000 guitar market will also be on offer and I'm guessing the selling window is about to close . . .
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

plivemusic

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 02:51:28 PM »
I learned recently that you can sell used guitars on Sweetwater Used Gear (which is a tab on the Sweetwater.com site).  The nice thing is that there is no selling fee, and being part of the Sweetwater website would have to drive traffic.  Discovered this when I was searching for a Northwood guitar on Google and one popped up on the Sweetwater Used Gear site.  As it turns out, guitar was exactly what I was looking for and it was only a couple hours away.  Seller and I met part way at a Burger King and transaction went well. 

Posting on guitar forum marketplaces is also an excellent way to sell guitars.

All the best!