Author Topic: Acoustic Amps  (Read 3136 times)

AndrewPayton

Acoustic Amps
« on: September 11, 2020, 01:57:07 AM »
Top Tips and Tricks for Using Your Slow Cooker

For those who have added ingredients to a top reviewed slow cooker and fantasized all day about the fantastic dish inside, you must genuinely love this useful appliance. As it can help out a lot with your daily meals, make sure you know the following top tips for mastering the slow cooker.

1. Reduce your preparation time

Useful Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/allinoneguides/

One of the major attractions for a lot of people is the ease of slow cookers. That is why you should avoid those suggesting a lot of pre-preparation when you are looking for recipes. For many dishes, especially stews and soups, you can add all the ingredients in the cooker.

2. Prepare for slow cooking the night before

For cooks who are short on time in the morning, gear up for everything needed for the slow-cooked meal the previous night, and put it into the dish before covering and storing in the fridge overnight.

3. Pick cheap cuts

It is excellent to cook cheaper cuts of meat, like lamb shoulder, beef brisket, and chicken thighs, using a slow cooker. Also, you can use less meat because slow cooking extracts a meaty flavor that permeates the whole dish.

4. Cut down on liquid when using your slow cooker

Since the lids of all slow cookers with the best products will be tightly sealed, liquid does not evaporate at all. If you are adapting a standard recipe, reducing the liquid by about a third is the best. It should just about cover vegetables and meat.

5. Thicken sauces using flour

The liquid also does not thicken. You can choose to roll the meat in seasoned flour before putting it in to the cooker, or use corn flour at the end. If you do the latter, take at most two teaspoons of corn flour and mix it to a paste with cold water. After stirring this slurry into the simmering cooker contents, replace the lid.

6. Leave the slow cooker to do its thing

Your slow cooker is made to do its own thing, so it is unnecessary to keep checking the contents. Whenever you take the lid off it, some of the heat will be released. If you keep doing so, you'll have to raise the cooking time.

7. Use the ‘Low’ setting

Use this setting as much as possible for your dishes to bring out the flavors. By doing so, you also won't need to worry when heading out for the day; it will take care of itself.

8. How long to cook slow cooker recipes?

For a dish that usually takes from 15 minutes to half an hour, you should cook it for one or two hours n High or around four hours on Low. For those that take 30-60 minutes, your meal will be ready after about six hours on Low or two to three hours on High. Cook the one to two hour dish for three to four hours on High or seven hours on Low. When you use the slow cooker to make two to four hour dishes, four to six hours are needed on High and eight to 12 hours on Low.

Check This Out: https://www.pinterest.com/wikiallinoneguides/

Conclusion

Out of all of the available Amazon products for your kitchen, slow cookers are a fantastic appliance for making your meals easy and delicious. Still, before you venture into the world of slow cooking, make sure you use this item effectively and safely. Follow the tips above to make the most of this handy appliance.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 11:24:56 PM by AndrewPayton »

SDTaylorman

Re: Acoustic Amps
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:03:35 AM »
"Good" is subjective. This might help you understand what makes one amp better for acoustic than electric and then only you can decide what works best for you.
https://tonetopics.com/the-difference-between-electric-and-acoustic-guitar-amps/

RyanR

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 11:56:26 PM »
I'll add a lot of the acoustic amps are also designed to do double-duty as vocal amps.  So many acoustic players are into singing as well as playing.  So that is something to consider if that matters to you.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 06:44:12 PM »
Hey Andrew,

The best acoustic guitar amps are the ones that are the most transparent: they add/color nothing to the sound of the acoustic.  The higher the price, the more transparent these amps are ...this has been what I have personally seen and heard.  And if you want real sonic "transparency" in amplification, do not use an amp and get a quality "Direct Box" and go straight into a good PA.

That said, the "best" acoustic amp is not the best for you if it doesn't sound good or work well for you.  Maybe you need a vocal channel, greater output, multi channels, or the simplest setup possible.   Maybe "transparent" is not good because a given guitar has cheesy electronics and needs more tonal shaping.  LOTS of variables here.  The bottom line is one should always try and audition an amp with one's own guitar as this will likely yield the best sonic satisfaction.  But if you're just wondering aloud and learning about which is best, then the typical brands that have been doing this for a looooong time are good go-to's for this application: Fishman and LR Baggs, and the like are excellent places to start.

Edward

Montymitch

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 07:47:52 PM »
I've been looking at a Boss Katana as an upgrade from my 25 year old Crate. At this point, I don't even own an acoustic with pickups, but gear acquisition syndrome is a real thing. The Katana has an acoustic option, but in my experience one-size-fits-all solutions are usually mediocre at everything they do. Anyone have experience with the Katana?
2021 Taylor 814ce LTD Sinker
Little Martin
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
2020 Epiphone IBG Hummingbird
2021 Fender Telecaster Nashville Deluxe
2021 Epiphone IBG ES-335
Music Man Stingray bass

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 12:36:48 PM »
Hey Montynitch,

The Katana is one of a slew of "modeling" amps that are popular now because they have built-in digital "models" of well-known sounds from all the usual suspects like Marshall, Boogie, Vox, Fender, etc., seeking to offer these sought-after tones digitally, as opposed to having a room full of amps, most of which are "vintage" and pricey.  The Katana is fairly well regarded as a guitar amp in the electric world, and has a large, loyal following on the web; search for Katana threads and there will be no shortage of info and user tips.  Whether it "works" for you is really up to you.  If you are looking to "upgrade" from your old Crate, your best bet, truly, is to go to a big-box store, grab a guit that resembles yours, and see what you hear.  FWIW, GuitCenter has a generous return/exchange policy so, despite their faults, this is a big boon for those wanting to demo gear beyond the showroom.

That said, a digital amp's "acoustic' setting is really their sonic "interpretation" of what an average acoustic guitar sounds like.  Um, what the heck is an average acoustic, right?  Don't get me wrong, I love Boss, and Roland has always been a standout company in the decades I've witnessed, and I have owned plenty of Boss stuff in the past, and currently gig with Boss on my pedalboard.  But as for a truly good acoustic guitar tone?  I won't comment on the Katana since I've not tried it, but think about the Katana's role (and modelling amps in general) in gearland: it is trying to be the swiss knife do-all-in-one-box amp.  Which is great, if the sounds please you.  The alternative is to find that one piece of gear (amp, DI box, PA, pickup system, whatever) that does its one job supremely well.  Personally, I want my acoustic guit's tone to be that of the guitar in my hands more than the DSP emulating what it should sound like; but that is my own bias.

So the bottom line is I've got zero experience for you on the Katana ...lol, sorry if this read was a waste for ya!  But you've noted yourself that the "fits all" approach is something you've found mediocre, so perhaps you already may know your answer.  But heck, there's always something to be gained by trying out a slew of new gear to see what's out there.  The Katana or otherwise, something you may stumble on just may be your ticket!  :)

Edward

Hippy

• "To Live Outside the Law You Must Be Honest"
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 04:25:23 PM »
My favorite acoustic guitar amp is a Bose L1 tower PA.
It ain't the smallest option, but it sounds the best. And you can put several instruments/vocals through it at the same time. Even the bottom level "Compact" model is great for a small area like a bar.
Ummm... remember bars? ::)
1983 610 (old & worn)
1996 912 (slick & fancy)
2013 150e (easy 12)
1993 baby (backpacker)
2020 custom GC

Sybo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 06:40:25 AM »
     I have a Katana 50 and. Fishman Loudbox Mini, Fishman all the way for me. But it’s my funny ears talking here........

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 12:45:27 AM »
I have used the Fishman Loudbox Mini as well as the Soloamp 220 for quite a few years.  What I like about both is the vocal channel pre's are just phenomenal.  I know that sounds strange to address the singing aspect first, but I almost can't believe how much confidence it gives you to sing through the Fishman products.  Not secondarily, I find playing the acoustic guitar through them to be very natural in tone.  My 514 is pretty boomy so I have to dial a lot of the bass and mids out (depending on the room) but once that gets worked out I just have zero complaints.  I've always wanted to try the German made AER 60 that Tommy Emmanuel uses, but at three times the price I just don't think it sound 300% better.  I will say, however, that the Loudbox Mini has pretty sensitive "skin" that gets roughed up pretty easily, though they may have improved that in the years since I bought mine.  Hope that helps.
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Montymitch

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 09:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the long-winded reply, lol!
I went ahead and purchased the Boss for my electric guitar use. Like I said before, I don't have pickups in my acoustic, so I'll take the risk with my one size fits all approach and hope for the best. I've done a little reading now and as far as I can tell, the acoustic setting on the Boss is not an emulation, but I've read where some people say that it is. I think it'll work just fine for my purposes if or when I need an acoustic amp. It'll definitely work better than the old Crate!
2021 Taylor 814ce LTD Sinker
Little Martin
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
2020 Epiphone IBG Hummingbird
2021 Fender Telecaster Nashville Deluxe
2021 Epiphone IBG ES-335
Music Man Stingray bass

johbren

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:11 AM »
fishman loudbox, marshall as50d, boss acoutic singer.  all good budget amps

Jani Lane Lives

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 01:54:18 PM »
Check out the Acoustic Singer  500 bucks, nice little dual amp.

Cosmic String Theory

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
For my Taylor 12-string I cannot recommend the Laney A-Duo enough. Guitar and vocals are very clear.
Next to that, my Marshall AS50D is warm and woolly, but it sounds great with an electric 6-string and the chorus is amazing.
So we all have our favourites but it all depends on your own opinion. Even doing lots of research you can get it way wrong. Got to plug in & try them, unless you strike lucky like I did!
K62ce